Dexa Scans! At home scales, my results and reference pics

I believe it’s the common consensus that athletic mode should be turned OFF.

2 Likes

Real world Vo2 test in ‘okay’ shape, no where near fit - blew a 60

3 years later and pretty fit Garmin spit out 66 & a 67, likely pretty close based on most metrics. I think the Garmin gets you to with in ± 2 points I bet most of the time.

2 Likes

Bought a Nokia scale on sale a few months ago and I’m seeing really odd results after high carb, not so clean eating days. My weight will go up 1 - 3 pounds, body fat % drops a few points, and both muscle and water increase. I know day to day isn’t important but just find it odd. I know increase carbs/glucose increases water retention but not sure how that connects its perceived increase in muscle mass. On the longer term trend line, as my weight has decreased it has shown my body fat increase and muscle decrease. My FTP has been increasing at the same time.

Day one with the Nokia Body+
5’9"
151.5 pounds
15.3%
80.5 muscle mass
Bone Mass 4.2
Body water 58.7
BMI 22.4
Not in athlete mode

1 Like

I have this scale from Amazon:

FeelFit Scale

It has an app that tracks progress daily and uploads my weight every day into Garmin Connect and MyFitnessPal. I step on it and it gives me the data almost immediately in the app.

The interesting part to me is that it matches my DEXA results VERY closely. My DEXA had me at 14% BF and 142 lbs Lean Mass. My scale has me at roughly 12.6% BF and 143.5 Lean Mass.

Given the easy interface into Garmin and MFP, the daily tracker that let’s me track my progress on the app and the relative accuracy to the DEXA, I’m happy with the results for the price.

1 Like

This is the detail of the scan (language is dutch)

Conair Scale - Model WW910FC

I have been using this model for the last year to track trends. It is handy that it has a bluetooth link. I started using MyFitnessPal to track calories and everything is trending in the right direction. Tracking calories has stopped me from “snacking” on less than ideal foods.

Jan 2, 2019 - 83.3 kgs and 22.6% Body Fat
Feb 16, 2019 - 76.5 kgs and 18.6% Body Fat

I am 56 and 183cm tall hoping to improve my Strava PR on local 30 min climb. I am currently doing SSBLV2, 3 runs a week, and 3 swims a week for a TSS of +/- 500 the last few weeks of increasing.

Any information on how accurate this unit is?

I’m using a Renpho Scale, that I got of Amazon.co.uk. I had a DEXA done yesterday morning, and didn’t eat or drink (bar a couple of mouthfuls of water over the commute.

• Under “Normal” Settings Renpho showed 20.5% Body Fat yesterday morning
  • DEXA put me at 12.5%
  • Switched to “Athlete Mode” for this mornings weigh in, and the Renpho came in at 12.7%

I’m happy enough with that accuracy. I had assumed Athlete mode was for lifetime athlete’s.

The DEXA was part of a genetic study (GENOFIT in UCD for anyone in Ireland, looking for participants), which included quite a lot of other measurements too, which put me on the Athlete parts of the scale (except upper body strength!). So pretty much a nice ego boost of an hour so!

I use SmartScaleSync to get it to Connect (and onto My Fitness Pal), TrainerRoad, Strava via the FitBit app which will sync with the Renpho app.

2 Likes

I keep seeing syncing to TR. How is that being done?

I use smartscalesync.com

4 Likes

Got mine in the mail three days ago. So far I’m impressed. Thanks for the suggestion

1 Like

Fantastic!

I have a standard digital scale, which just shows weight. While reading this thread I got all gung ho to buy a smart scale, but then I couldn’t really figure out what I would DO with the data/information. So when I find out my body fat % is XX.X (which is just an estimate), then what? I already know I don’t workout as much or as often as I should ideally. My diet could use some help and I could certainly lose some fat (it’s been a long grey winter, don’t judge).

This isn’t like taking a FTP test and then setting up a training plan around it. Is this just more data to geek out about and then feel bad because your body fat % is higher than you imagine it should be?

So, how are you actually USING the smart scale data?

1 Like

I finally got a Dexa scan.

The results:
bac

8 Likes

Mostly just looking at the weekly trend if I’m stable in weight and body fat. It helps me adjust my diet up or down based on that trend. I’m too old to worry too much about having a low body fat with six-pack abs showing through. I worry more about the visceral fat.

tbh that’s why I could never justify the cost of the Nokia or Garmin options. I went with a cheaper option, which wasn’t much more than a “normal” scales. At the moment the data is interesting rather than something I’m addressing, but I really love the automatic syncing across my apps!

I also have the Garmin scales and they seem pretty consistent and track progress well. No hassle update straight to Garmin Connect.

1 Like

Wow thanks for sharing. I wonder how we’d stack up me being the same height as you but a few kg’s lighter at 71kg now. I don’t have access to a Dexa-scan being in poor Sweden where the only DEXA-machine is hosted at the hospital and I’d have to be real sick to get a scan. :frowning:

Does this update to connect via wifi? I woudl want a scale that I don’t need my phone with me to be able to upload the data.

Thanks, that’s helpful Tony.