Money-saving training hacks?

Here is a post I made about my homemade electrolyte mix.

The salts are quite cheap, the flavoring is the most expensive part, and will take the most experimenting. I’ve recently tried some ‘powdered fruit’ which has not gone well. The pomegranate powder was inedible as a drink, the raspberry is tolerable. So far the citrus flavors are the only ones that work reasonably well.
I find that these taste much better cold, and less good as they warm up.

I have been experimenting with adding sugars to the drinks. Adding 20 grams of a sucrose/fructose mix make it very sweet. Adding about the same amount of maltodextrin gives a much better flavor.

I’ll copy/paste a comment I made in a prior thread and originally from the facebook group.

Rice cakes made EASY! I’ll throw credit to Alan Lim for the base recipes and then I have modified as I saw fit.

For those wanting to do this get yourself a good rice cooker that is decent size. 4-6 cups makes life much quicker if you are making big batches. I use the Panasonic one, white and silver. Thing is bomb proof and easy to clean.

Buy the feed zone portables book for all the cool recipes. I’ll put what I do below for chocolate rice cakes:

Into rice cooker
2 cups jasmin rice - Costco sells 5kg bags works great
1L of water
Dash of sea salt
1tsb brown sugar
1tsb cinnamon
Dash of vanilla extract

Let that cook

Once done and sat for 15min steaming
Into a big bowl:
your cooked rice from the cooker
1 big table spoon of coconut oil
1 table spoon Nutella
Dashes of sea salt for flavour

Mix it all up.

NOW THE PRO TIP TO GET THIS STUFF PACKED TIGHT SO IT IS DENSE…

don’t use a pan. Grab a cheap freezer ziploc. Pack that mixed up rice which you have mixed very well, into that bag. Squeeze it down into the ends and pack it into a 2” thick brick. Fill in the corners and squeeze that down.

Fold over the open end to squeeze the air out. Take your warm brick of rice in a bag, slide a cutting board underneath and throw in the fridge to cool for 3-5 hours.

Once done take it out, take a knife and cut the edges of the bag off. Cut your squares and voila. Takes 10min tops. Wrap with Costco jumbo size parchment paper you’ve cut to size.

I also do the bacon and scrambled egg with Tex mex spices and salt if I want savoury. Super easy as well. Very cheap.

Pics below. For bagging and wrapping process.

EDIT: Had a few PM’s so I’ll address here -
Re: Coconut - use as prescribed above and see how it works for you, with rice cakes nothing is set in stone, its all about individual preference and taste.
Re: Wrapping paper - see that cutting board in the background with the knife photo? I just wrap the parchment paper around it multiple times (10-15x) and then run a knife down one edge to cut in half, then cut the other side along the long edge. With your now 20-30 sheets, you simply cut in half again to make squares that are the perfect size for wrapping up.
Re: Rice - I’ve bought expensive stuff before but honestly that kirkland jasmin rice works just as well and its cheap. the ratio of rice to water is important, you don’t want too dry coming out of the cooker or they won’t hold together. 1/2L for each 1Cup of dry rice.
Re: Bagging - using a big rice spoon and really mixing that stuff up in the bowl will help get the rice mixer more dense. Then its just a matter of getting it into the bag and packing down. It’s very easy to do while the rice is warm. Don’t overthink it.

8 Likes

I love me some StroopWafels. About 50 cents per. It’s really funny that several companies sell them as packaged sports nutrition for three times the amount.

And bananas of course.

2 Likes

Take a look at Lyofood www.lyofood.com
It is a German company that makes a lot of interesting dehydrated high quality and taste organic food, plus fruits and powders.
Very good and healthy stuff

I fuel most of my 4 and 5 hour trainer rides with sweet bean paste bread. Works a treat, and just 1usd for a pack of 5.

4 Likes

If you want to increase the calorie density I can highly recommend youkan! It’s kind of like sports nutrition in that I don’t really enjoy youkan in normal life but it becomes pretty tasty when I’m training hard. Also it lasts forever and packs really well.

Yeah, I’m a big fan as well!!

1 Like

Oh and I almost forgot, the shioyoukan (i.e. lightly salted) is the best kind for training.

1 Like

Sports drinks are basically maltodextrin, salt and flavour. Often they will throw in some token vitamins etc to make it look fancy and justify the price but they are certainly not needed in your drink.

Bulk (cheap) maltodextrin (if you’re in Aus) from here: Maltodextrin - Buy Maltodextrin Powder Australia | Bulk Nutrients

Salt, from, well salt. Flavour it’s up to you. I like a little lemon juice. Hope that helps someone.

1 Like

My wallet hit race weight after I bought my last bike :joy:

3 Likes

In the U.K. Aldi is great for cycling- not only so they have their “aisle of dreams” cycling sales (their merino socks and base layers are fantastic quality for the price ) they do own brand date based energy bars (think they’re called “Hike”) for 49p each which have pretty much the same carb and protein content as £2.50 SiS or Clif bars. They’re normally in a stand by the checkouts. Worth looking out for.

2 Likes

Now that the food related holidays are upon us a tip for cheap bar substitutes is to buy specific holiday themed sweets that are discounted after said holiday. In Scandinavia (and Germany I believe) marzipan pigs are a thing around Christmas. Marzipan is 50/50 almond and sugar and is perfect workout food. And nothing motivates as having a pig besides your TrainerRoad screen staring back at you

1 Like

I find doggie treats to be cheaper than energy bars, and dogs are way more athletic than humans.

Just need to figure out how to balance these damn things on my nose.

7 Likes

Must look at these again - I’ve generally turned my nose up at them looking at them as a protein bar, rather than carb bar. The Granola Bars are my go to on bike nutrition, also from Aldi.

I’ve just made my second batch of my mix from the Beta Fuel thread. Seems to be working well for me on bike anyway.

I’ve finally come around to a recovery shake, so using the 40g of mix with 14g of Vanilla or Strawberry Whey Protein (10g of Protein), giving me the 4:1 ratio. Too early to tell how my n=1 effect on recovery, but it tastes nice with the protein!

1 Like

Real maple syrup isn’t cheap either. Unless you’re talking about fake log cabin type syrup

Just going to through my usual recommendation for GCN Energy Bars.

120g Butter (I reduce this in the summer) NB: This is Sunflower Oil in the GCN recipe.
Soft Dark Brown Sugar – 200g/1 cup
Golden Syrup – 2 tbsp/ 50g
Peanut Butter – 1 tbsp (I often skip so children can bring to school)
Vanilla Extract – 1/2 tsp (If I have it)

Melt these ingredients in a pan over a low heat until melted and mixed together.

Next, add:

Sesame Seeds – 25g / 2 tbsp
Sunflower Seeds – 25g / 2 tbsp
Flaked Almonds – 50g / 1/2 cup (Again, I often leave out and up the seeds by 50g for children/ school)
Sultanas or Raisins* – 50g / 1/2 cup
Chopped Dates* – 50g / 1/2 cup

• I sometimes swap out either, or both, for a mixed fruit mix.

Gradually stir in thick cut porridge oats/oatmeal – 225g / 8 oz

Transfer mixture to a baking tin lined with parchment. Roughly 25 x 15cm or 10 x 6 inches.

Press down firmly with a metal fork.

Place in an oven at 180degrees c, 350 degrees f or gas mark 4 for 10 – 15 minutes, keeping an eye on them so they don’t get over done.

Finally, leave to cool in the tin before you take them out and cut them.

Enjoy!

You have to let it totally cool or it will break up. Leave to totally cool, take out and then slice up. Cut into 16, comes out at around 170 calories per slice

I now usually make them in silicon bun/ fairy cake trays - same method, push down with fork, but portion sized and no cutting (maybe this method would work with rice cakes?)

In Canada, you can get it for about $7 per 540ml can. You can get it a lot cheaper on sale, or buying in bulk from producers.

1 Like

Most of the hacks in this thread focus on nutrition - forgetting the equipment. So…

1. Buy used, keep forever. You don’t need Di2, you don’t need 11 or 12 speeds, you don’t need Dura Ace. Well, maybe you do, but whatever. Buy the low- end of the high-end (the Ultegra version of the good frame), replace the wheels eventually, etc. And maintain and keep forever. Apart from the very high-mileage elite and close-to-elite riders, most of us change bikes way before their useful life is over.
  2. Do your own wrenching.
  3. Never buy cycling clothes full price. Buy last year’s model, buy winter clothes in the spring, summer clothes in the fall, you get the idea.
  4. Buy your tires on the net. Yes, I know, support your local shop and all that, but anyway you bought your bike used and you’re doing your own wrenching, remember? So you’re already guilty of causing their fall. Invest in their capital if your soul needs redemption.
  5. Review your subscriptions. You don’t need TR + Zwift + Strava Premium + a gym sub + whatever 15 other apps with monthly payments. Look at your real usage.
4 Likes

Free health care and cheap maple syrup. What more could we ask for?

1 Like