Upgrading Categories, Fat Burning, Food Allergies and More – Ask a Cycling Coach 233

Hang on, so you stand up, pee directly into your bib shorts, it runs down your legs into your shoes. Then you just let it evaporate o_O

2 Likes

But that has no relation to volume spacers.
If a bike needs spacers or can take a coil depends on the suspension geometry not the damper tune.
The suspension geometry is consistent through all Spec levels.
And cheap shocks and expensive shocks generally give you damping upgrades not air spring upgrades. Maybe lower friction seals but the progresivity will generally be the same.

Technically true.

I’m not sure I can watch your race analysis videos anymore.

2 Likes

@Nate_Pearson @chad @Jonathan Haven’t finished it yet, but got through the allergy/ sensitivity issue. That’s the scientifically backed insights I keep coming back to!

Speaking of sensitivity, I do think @Nate_Pearson was being a bit OTT about the reaction on this forum. Although I would agree that nutrition seems to be the new religion, with people so committed to particular theories, they really don’t like it when Science or people who have read the science, go against them. It’s nearly evangelical/ fundamentalist at this point! (IF :eyes: )

On the Div 3 / C racer being upgraded after just one race; I might differ on the given advice.
Unless the officials could see that he was so clearly above the rest of the Div 3 in the area and needs to move up.
What if this result was because this course favored him so much?
I think some learning and development could still happen.

1 Like

I think he just likes riding Yetis…:smiley:

1 Like

That wasn’t my takeaway…what I heard him say was that you could get a suspension system that is better tuned “out of the box” if you go with a boutique brand, not that you needed to go to a boutique brand for a “good suspension system.”

3 Likes

A few things:

1. Listening back to the podcast, I find your analysis skewed. I did not speak ill of any brands. As @stevemz said, I simply mentioned the fact that the higher up the spec range you go, the suspension/chassis pairings will improve. Bike brands put lower end shocks and forks on their lower price point builds, and it’s a good thing! That’s one of the things that makes them affordable. However, not a lot of people recognize that the bike may have been developed with a different shock, or at least different shock tune than the one on their bike, or that they fall outside of the bell curve for the shock tune on their current bike.

2. Linkage design is only a portion of the suspension performance equation. A shock can completely change the progressivity of a bike. Since shocks change up and down a spec range for a specific model, this can mean a difference in suspension performance. For example, the custom tune (custom shim stacks, oil, volume spacers, etc.) developed by Yeti for the SB150 never performed well for me. With all 5 volume spacers to get the initial stroke correct, I lacked mid-stroke support and bottom out resistance. I got a replacement Float X2 from Fox with a standard mid tune, and the bike performs much better for me. The rear suspension design didn’t change, but the shock switch changed the performance of the rear suspension. Shock tunes, and certainly shock models have a profound effect on suspension performance, but many people don’t know this when they are buying a bike.

3. I understand the accusation of bias. I’ve mentioned on the podcast multiple times that I ride for Yeti, and I don’t expect anybody to view anything I say about them without bias. That said, I’m honest and transparent in everything I share. I should also mention that I don’t need to ride for anybody – I choose to. In fact, if Yeti chose to drop me at any point, my garage wouldn’t look any different. I ride their bikes because I love how they ride, and from a brand perspective, they align with my “why”. I don’t think there is a “best bike brand” or a “best bike”. We’re privileged to live in a time where we are spoiled with choice and have brands building bikes for our specific use cases. It’s awesome!

I know Yeti is a polarizing brand, and people either seem to love or hate them. The only thing I would ask is if you are going to accuse me of bias, doing so from an unbiased position would be more productive than meeting supposed bias with opposing bias. That makes for unproductive conversation, when all we really want to do here is help people get faster.

12 Likes

I promise to never record during these moments, hehe.

I’ve actually never done this. Kinda nervous, tbh, haha.

3 Likes

Maybe try it out in the rain first? Then you’re already soaked anyway, and it washes off before it gets to your socks!

3 Likes

I can’t help but think of the Seinfeld episode where George is at the bookstore, and takes the book into the bathroom.

2 Likes

Good thinking. I guess this is something I’m not exactly eager to try though, haha.

2 Likes

I heard a rumor that Depends is going to get into the chamois market :wink:

2 Likes

The talk about peeing on the bike just reminded me of a story that Sepp Kuss told on Payson Mcelveen’s podcast a while ago about peeing during Strade Bianche. It is super funny.

Happens around 57:30 into it. Don’t listen if you think the guys on AACC interrupt eachother because this is a whole other level. Its Payson, Howard Grotts, Chris Blevins, and Sepp all together and there are beers involved.

P.S. Definitely check out the rest of the episodes. The rest aren’t as disorganized and are usually 1on1s with some super interesting people.

3 Likes

Payson does a great job with his podcast! I bet a lot of folks on here would love it.

2 Likes

I have always had a “bashful bladder” but was determined to acquire this “skill” before my second IM. I finally did it on a training ride and was less than 5 miles from home, so easily could’va waited. Nonetheless, I was very excited that I pssed myself. :rofl: After finally doing it, it is really no big deal and can do it easily now. Pssed myself in multiple IM / HIM races now. Just make sure you have a bottle of water so you can give yourself a quick rinse, especially your shoes. You do NOT want stale pee odor mixing with your sweaty bike shoes…trust me! :zipper_mouth_face:

Just added it to my Podcast library!

As for Yeti, I was unaware that people find the brand polarizing. I have known several of those guys for for years from way back when we worked together at Scott / Schwinn and know the brand is in good hands. Great bikes, better people!

1 Like

even then, I’d still be getting all Seinfeld book-in-bathroom about my shoes :cold_sweat:

1 Like

Peeing on the bike in your kit: is there anybody who does this if they’re not gunning for a podium spot? If so, why?? Seems like a silly way to prove how hardcore you are.

Join us in long course triathlon, where peeing on yourself is the 2nd water sport and its completely normal, if not suggested for all the cool guys and gals to take a leek on themselves during the bike. I even heard of legit “pro led clinics” that show you how to be more effective! Now you can enjoy your favorite bedroom activities in a somewhat publicly acceptable manner… IN PUBLIC! Talk about win-win!

Wait, why are you running away, I haven’t finished telling you about peeing in your wetsuit and all the fun we are… come back… please… :frowning:

4 Likes

Huh, that might be one of your favorite bedroom activities but I can confidently say that it’s more of a bathroom activity for me. But to each his/her own!

5 Likes