2019 USAC MTB National Championships

Lived in Summit for 10 years, now in Boulder. Have raced the WP series here and there as well as the Summit County races. Pretty fun. Have only done Ridgeline once and that was enough. Kitty litter and just boring. I may do Battle the Bear this year, but eh I don’t know. If they’re qualifiers, sure. But, a lot of us are going to Soldier Hollow.
You guys doing the Firecracker? Now that is a fun race.

I want to do Firecracker but I never end up doing it because it is my kids favorite day of the year (Frisco Main Street 4th of July parade) and I would miss the whole thing with them.

My tentative plan is to do Ridgeline, Battle the Bear and then Fangdango to get in the three necessary USAC sanctioned XC races ahead of registration opening in late May. I was warned by a teammate that you want to be qualified ahead of registration opening since Nationals sells out…but no idea if that likely or not.

I wish Soldier Hollow was in the cards…looks like an awesome event.

Just saw you live in Steamboat. I’ll be there for the Stinger and Steamboat Stage Race if I don’t go to Gateway Cup instead.

XC Course Intel:
Expect a 4.5 mile lap, with an 8-10 minute fireroad climb to start. Followed by a 5-minute-ish fast/rough, single & double track decent. Then circle back with 7-10 minutes of single & double track w/ rolling punchy climbs and medium tech back to start/finish (resort base).
All existing roads/trail that they use in some order in their summer race series every year. You’ll want full-suspension and fairly aggressive tires (ie. durable casing and good grip).
I’d expect 5 laps for pro men, 4 laps for pro women, 4 laps for masters/cat1, 3 laps and 2 laps as you go down catergories (estimating).
So looking forward to it. Going to be great.

2 Likes

This is awesome!

Any chance you could make a route to represent it? I know it could change, but would be super helpful!

1 Like

I’m riding Leadville, which is the same weekend as the stinger. Too bad I’ll miss the stinger, as its a great race. Got to love the whiskey, beer and bacon aid station :+1:t3:

When does registration open? Typically what day is Masters Events (Amateur) events for XC and Short Track?

I am trying to book my flight and travel.

1 Like

Ok, so I raced MTB Marathon Nationals in Palo Duro, and qualified for Xc Nats in winter park.

Question on altitude-

I have the opportunity to train at 7k feet about 7-9 days prior to the race in Monument Co.

Or should I try and show up as close to race day as possible. Like 2 days before. Or the day prior, then get a quick pre ride in and call it good.

If you had the choice what’s better for adaptation.

I live at about 4K feet full time here in Missoula Montana.

Thanks

Additionally, I went through MTB Marathon specialty plan enroute to Marathon Nats. Would it make sense to jump right into the MTB Xc Olympic specialty plan for Xc Nats and just throw in some long duration rides for aerobic endurance mixed in to the plan. That will get me within 2 weeks of XC Nationals in winter Park. I feel I have a good base right now , but am lacking that above threshold work required for Olympic distance.

Part 2- anyone know if we have to race a short track race prior to the XC Nationals, like the uci format is now?

Thanks

Patrick

Winter Park is over 9k feet. I think spending 7+ days at 7k feet will help you acclimatize better vs just showing up.

1 Like

Thank you for that.

Amazing difference for two weeks vs one day.

Great question.

Yeah. Bottom line is there is no way around degraded performance at altitude, and no shortcut to acclimatizing.

In another paper I read, riders took iron supplements for the weeks prior to and after moving to altitude. If I recall, this helped somewhat.

Thanks Dave.

How is it possible that USAC is so disorganized that they literally have zero information posted TWO MONTHS before the event!!! I emailed the race director on March 25th with the most basic of questions…no response. How are we supposed to book airfare and lodging with no Sunday schedule? Shame on you USA Cycling. Meanwhile, USA Triathlon has been hitting me up for their age group nationals since November! Their website has incredibly detailed information!!! The difference is actually quite hilarious…As of 5/29- Can’t register (at least now they are saying we can do it on 6/1 if you click the link), No General Information, No Course Map, No Qualification List, No Schedule

3 Likes

Agreed. Its been a cluster to say the least.

Greg, I had similar issues with Marathon Nationals.

So, Winter Park Colorado- I’m driving an RV, is there any place in town to park one? Or how about campgrounds nearby that anyone has used and thinks it would be ok for an RV?

Check out Idlewild Campground. Shaded, right next to a cool stream. It is actually an easy spin up to the base of WP Resort where the race is and is an easy spin/walk to town also. I Believe they have RV hookups.

1 Like