5s, 1min, 5min, FTP vs. Training Plan choice

choosing-a-plan

At the moment in TR there is only one indication of our power - FTP. It doesn’t tell us lots about what type of cyclist we are.
There are tables to find out what we could be good at by comparing 5 second, 1 minute, 5 minute, 60minute max power. Flat, Down sloping, Up sloping, Inverted V types of cyclists.
How do I decide about Training Plan?
I think of myself as an average club rider, not good but also not bad at everything. If I learn that I’m e.g. good at sprinting should I opt for some type of Training Plan over another? Should I try to work more on my strengths or weaknesses? Is it completely my own choice what I do?

If you look under career > personal records you can see your power curve. This doesn’t answer the ‘what am I good at relative to everyone else’ question but it can give you a sense of your capabilities and where you could improve.

Since they don’t currently track historical weight they can’t associate a particular effort with a W/kg to give a reasonable comparison to the general population.

@Nate are we going to get weight tracking and W/kg normalization on workouts at some point in the future? #feature-request

W/kg normalization and weight tracking would be a waste of time to develop as they have no impact into setting training zones.

For example say you have a FTP of 200 watts and weight 100 kg. This would give you a

W/kg = 200 watts/ 100 kg = 2

Now say you lose 5 kg but maintain the same FTP. Now your W/kg would be
200/95 = 2.11

Now because you lost 5 kg would you increase your workout intensity by 5.5% = (2.11-2)/2?

It doesn’t make sense does it but maybe I’m missing something so let me know.

Same with tracking your weight over time. How would you change a training plan or intensity knowing that you are losing 1kg/month on average. I can’t think of a reason but if I’m missing something let me know.

Also, If you are looking for an app to help with weight loss I highly recommend https://www.myfitnesspal.com/

Yes :slight_smile:. Few other things to do first.

I’d want to know if I’m getting watt/kg personal records as I train. Sometimes power stays the same but weight goes down; that’s still progress.

@EricVH , the power curve can tell you exactly what you’re good at. You just need to compare your records with tables. And those are available…
https://www.cyclinganalytics.com/blog/2012/06/watts-kg-on-the-power-curve
…here.
But then what do I do with this knowledge.? Are there plans for specific types of cyclist?

I probably didn’t explain my issue correctly because most of you answered didn’t answer it.

It’s more common to choose a training plan based on what you want to be good at, not necessarily what you are good at.

Think of the old saying; race your strengths, train your weaknesses.

That said, there is nothing wrong with identifying what you are best at and perfect that even more. But in that case I would still identify what the needs are for the races that are the A priority races. You might find that your best power compared to others are 1 minute, but that your race requires a good 2-3 minute power. In that case I would focus on increasing the duration I could hold 1 minute power.

Thanks @Torneng
Good point with. I’ll reconsider my priority events and train accordingly. :+1:

https://www.cyclinganalytics.com/blog/2018/06/how-does-your-cycling-power-output-compare

This link is pretty interesting, particularly the table at the bottom with all the percentile lines. I think someone said it already, but race to your strengths, train your limiters. Choose events that you want to do well accordingly. For example, no point targetting a hilly race because you have an FTP of 320W if you weigh 84kg. I think the point I’m trying to make is there is more to understanding your strengths and weaknesses than a power curve. In Joe Friel’s Cyclists Training Bible there is a chapter on self assessment that’s really interesting to take.

At the end of the 2017 season, I looked back at what I’d done well, what I wanted to achieve and where I needed to improve. I could always climb OK for a bigger racer (84kg at the end of 2017), TT reasonably well, and had a half decent sprint. I wanted to target two specific races as A priority and realised that no amount of increasing power would do it. A lot of work on weight loss and race simulation efforts (5min and 10 min efforts) did the trick. At 73kg with a broadly similar FTP figure, I wasn’t dropped on a single climb this year. What was different though was my power curve looked very different. Much bigger 5 and 10 min avg power, 20 min and 1 hr power almost the same, and very little drop between 1 hr and 2.5hr power.