A few thoughts on the STAC Zero Halcyon

trainer

Hey everyone,
I was lucky enough to win a new Halcyon trainer and have been putting it through a variety of workouts to test its functionality and compare it to my kicker.

1. It really is SILENT! My fan and singing are the only things that my wife–bless her heart–can hear now.

2. It is much easier to set up than the gen 1 and the auto calibration of the magnetic arms is great. Be sure to get the wheel centered though! You can do this through their app and initial set up.

3. if you have a power meter already on your bike (I have the Quarq and the Powertap P1 pedals) be sure to calibrate the trainer to that by seeing the average difference between the two meters and then going through their app settings. Erg mode is pretty bad with power match BUT when you calibrate the trainer to your power meter and then do erg mode, it works much better.

4. Resistance mode right now is my favorite mode hands down but I am already biased here. I am still testing Erg out with the new calibration at higher intensities.

If you have any questions or want me to do any tests, let me know :slight_smile:

I’ve got one too. Since my home office (where I put my trainer) is next to my daughter’s bedroom and I do most of my training while she’s asleep, I’m really happy with the silence.

I have done the same thing with power calibration, and like you I don’t bother with power match because I can trust the trainer’s reported power. Since you have to install the freewheel weights in your wheel, I’ve got a dedicated trainer wheel so I’m not constantly adding / removing the weights, and I set it up with a single speed cog:

Of course that necessitates using Erg mode, but as a triathlete I don’t do a lot of sprint work where that would make much difference.

Great points!

I actually do not use the wheel weights because they did not add that much of a difference. I also like being able to just take the bike off and ride without swapping out wheels.