A flaw in the TrainerRoad business model? ;)

This thread seriously makes me wonder. If people biggest issue us a small red number on the side of screen then shows what an amazing job @Nate_Pearson and team are doing. Hope referrals get as much business your way as possible to secure and improve TR future - you guys deserve any and all success! The podcast is best marketing you can do though!

6 Likes

I saw some designers talk about the number today, I think they are going to try another color, maybe a grey so that it’s less obtrusive.

7 Likes

You can’t even buy Microsoft office any more. It’s all subscription

1 Like

I’ve got to say I also agree, I’m UK based and more than happy to pay a subscription (not necessarily the case 3-4 years ago.

My one exception is something like the MSOffice suite, the updates aren’t big enough to warrant upgrading all the time (saying that I get a BIG discount through work so may feel differently if I had to pay RRP…)

That was my plan, but I don’t need to hide it, because my cycling friends have stopped cycling and will start again in April… having been faster and stronger than them all this year, I don’t see next year being any different … a few have purchased smart trainers, but probably be a novelty till jan…

A workaround, unfortunately a not very gentleman-like solution:

Summary

waste/fill the form with random fake e-mail addresses, so your referrals get used. → No referrals, no notification.

Im going to wait and see what …

…will bring up.

1 Like

Now I have looked at what the red number means I am not too bothered about whether or not it is there.
However it is likely that any genuine alert re your account will be ignored by most users as they will assume it is just a referral warning.

2 Likes

Is there any case other than the referrals where these red numbers pop up? I’ve not seen them before.

This forum displays red numbers all over the place showing “unread count”… people must be absolutely freaking out :scream::see_no_evil:

7 Likes

More of a pink, more subtle :wink:

Just give away your referrals and be done with it?

TR is easily the best thing I’ve done and I have no issue in recommending to everyone…except my closest rivals, of course :ghost:

2 Likes

Much better now. I can rest easy…

It’s been updated, I think it looks really good now. It’s grey by default and red when you hover. Design did a good job.

What do ya’ll think?

note: if our referrals drop off a cliff we might have to put more thought into this.

8 Likes

looks great, its no longer a “red alert”

1 Like

3 Likes

I wouldn’t worry too much about other people getting faster by using TR, they still have to follow through

2 Likes

If you’re training to compete against your friends then they probably do their own training in secret too.
More likely, like most people that use TR, you train to get faster. Faster than you’ve been last season.
That’s why it doesn’t matter if your friends are also faster.
Compare your efforts to you from the past.
You will always be better AND worse than other people. That can only lead you to insecurities.
More likes on FB, Instagram, more followers, etc. Break that self destructive circle and try to be better than that

2 Likes

Honestly expected TR designers to come up with something more like what dr3do mentioned above as I was reading through this.

Making a dedicated link for referrals would help with a few things:

1. You can make the notification red when new info there is unread, gray when it’s been read.
  2. It brings attention to the fact that there ARE referrals available to you to use, without being obtrusive, and again…it’s a subtle reminder.

Personally, I didn’t mind the red, I know why it’s there and it’s a reminder for me. I use reminders constantly, but I realize it could be annoying to some.

Since all of you that hide your rides and don’t want to share your training are competing for world titles, I understand why you might not want to share. :wink:

2 Likes

If you are not willing to help your friends then I’m not willing to you you either :wink:

There are thousands of other cyclists in your area that you are competing against, more so than your “friends”.

Totally false. It absolutely matters.

It’s like saying it doesn’t matter if you lose at Risk or Monopoly…total destruction and world domination are the only way forward.

(Says the guy with a 280 FTP…)

:wink:

3 Likes