Adding triathlon plan to calendar without run/swim workouts (Feature Request)

Hi,

In the new calendar feature is there a way to add a triathlon plan without adding the run/swim workouts? I use Garmin to plan those so would rather just have the TR workouts on the calendar.

Thanks,
Dave

8 Likes

No, there’s no way to do that.

Thanks for the update Nate. A nice feature in the future would be to have the option to easily delete workouts from the calendar view without having to click into each workout to delete.

2 Likes

Why would you want to do this? Why not plan it all in TR? Is this so the workouts get sent to your watch?

3 Likes

The main reason is I’ve got a collection of custom run/swim workouts (which include interval duration’s/workout notes/intensity etc.) in Garmin that I can easily drag/drop onto the calendar. If TR implemented adding a custom workout (from a personal collection) to the calendar though I’d definitely consider doing all the planning in TR.

3 Likes

For me it would be workouts on the watch that plus the feature to replace the RPE with say a pace for running so I have the same structured workouts that I have for rides

With a few tweaks it would move me away from Garmin Connect

5 Likes

This is exactly the thought process I’m working through right now in my planning. I like doing the Slowtwitch “guppy challenge” every year, so will substitute those workouts for the swim portion of the triathlon plan.

2 Likes

I was desiring the same thing. The reason I would this is that currently I have a shoulder injury so I am not currently swimming. I have been doing the cycling portion of the Sprint Triathlon plan (mid volume) and then just run on the off days (essentially a duathlon plan, which I wish TR had).

I could just delete the swimming and then manually adjust the running. But I’m not sure if that is easier than just manually adding the right cycling workouts.

Either way, it’s all good stuff. Keep it up.

1 Like

I also wish there was a duathlon series of plans.

9 Likes

I would like this feature also (bike workouts only for triathlon). The current triathlon plans impose on you a fixed number of swim and run workouts per week that will not fit how many workouts people actually do.

Also, I only use trainer road for biking and Training Peaks for my overall calendar. No offense, but the Training Peaks calendar is a lot more powerful and feature rich compared to your new calendar. So I only want Trainer Road for triathlon biking.

If you want this feature to work better for most people, I think it should at least ask how many swim and run workouts you do in a week. That way the plan will be tailored to each individual. For example, I could enter zero for swim and run and be perfectly happy. Others might run 5 days a week, and the current structure doesn’t account for that, short of manually entering every workout to fit your plan.

9 Likes

I am going to plan the whole tri training setup in TR. Still Use Garmin Connect to build and send run workouts to my watch, but manually fill in the TR values as well. If I do extra sessions I will just log them as well. Going to trial this and see if it replaces my TP account.

2 Likes

I’ll add my voice to wanting this feature. I follow a BarryP style of running, and swimming is largely done with a squad.

Also, I belive that many triathletes may not be at equal levels across all three disciplines. So using a set plan for all three is tricky.

4 Likes

It’s true, but if you follow a run and/or swim plan that’s radically different from the tri plan, then the bike plan won’t fit.

I use the whole plan in the calendar, but modify the run/swim keeping it broadly inline with the distance or exhertion. Modify the details after marking it as completed.

I’ll just +1 on this please. The flexibility someone mentioned in adding your own number of runs and swims would be ideal really. I love the TR bike sessions, but I have a very specific run base+build phase that I go through and can fit easily around the TR bike sessions.

Also for example I’d like to do the half distance high volume bike workouts, but I don’t need 4 swims per week that come with that plan. We can move the anchor days for each type of workout in the pre-calendar pop up, but not delete. Just being able to delete at that stage before it adds to the calendar would be spot on.

8 Likes

Adding a +1 here too, I am using separate resources for structuring my Run\Swim plans, I would really appreciate being able to tick a box that took away the inbuilt Swim\Run and just left the cycling piece of the plan.

5 Likes

Hey guys…

Thought I’d suggest being able to remove workouts from a plan structure when you first set it up.

For example I have just started full distance tri build and it would have been useful to be able to remove the swim workouts at the start rather than remove them every week. I know myself and others that use plans from other companies such as swim smooth for this and some use separate running plans too.

Just a thought/suggestion anyway

2 Likes

I converted this to a TR SW Feature Request and merged in another related post.

Edit, to tag @Bryce and make sure this gets added to the FR list.

2 Likes

Also useful for duathalon competitors who use tri plans then delete all the swim!

3 Likes

Sorry didn’t see this post before but I’m a +1 for this feature… I understand that the bike workouts fit with the rest of the plan but allowing the removal of workouts would just add another level of flexibility for duathletes, those with their own swim/run plans and time crunched atheletes

2 Likes

Is it possible to add a tri plan to my calendar, but only add the cycling workouts? I’ve just been using a cycling specific plan and adding my other workouts, but the cycling plan isn’t really intended for 70.3 racing. I’m not interested in using the swim and run planned workouts from TR and have a mental block seeing them on the calendar when I’m not going to do those ones.

2 Likes