Aero Deep Dive in The Specialized Win Tunnel – Ask a Cycling a Coach 188

True. However power varies with the cube, so the decrease at lower speeds is exacerbated even more. The main takeaway is the relative benefit vs the absolute power impact.

Showing benefits in terms of % time savings is likely a better way to show these.

Yeah. Change to an aero position, and the impact of the skin suit may be less. It all depends on the measurement methodology used, which many of these studies don’t report, as the claims are often used for marketing purposes.

I’ll be doing aero helmet, lower position with longer stem, TOGS grips on bar near stem, and conti race king pro tires.

Won’t do skin suit, but will have form fitting shorts / jersey. Main reason is I have trouble finding a chamois that works for long rides, and I’ve finally found one that works, so will stick with that.

True but, what I was getting at was a 30W savings from that Cervelo frame + 20W savings from those Zipp NSW wheels does not equal 50W gained overall.

40kmh (24mph) at 370w. Either you’re going up a ramp or a giant, surely.

I’m 1.87m and 80+kg and 370w would likely put me in the 45-50kmh bracket on a still day in the real world, particularly on a flat well paved road.

To that point I’ve ridden at 50kmh (30mph) on the flat at ~300w. No skin suit. Kask Protone. Fairly aero position on the hoods. :man_shrugging:

With a tailwind no doubt.

1 Like

Potentially, I’ve had a look at the road direction and if there was any wind it’d be a cross-headwind with our prevailing wind, but it wasn’t particularly windy. avg 28.1mph @251w albeit only for a minute. It’s a rare case point though. Usually need far more effort for those speeds. :man_shrugging:

we had a 20mph wind on Wed group ride, averaged 30mph down a 4 mile stretch (only tailwind of the ride). The lead rider put out 317W, the six behind him with power meters were 216-247W. That guy has been winning a lot of Zwift races, and came out for the Land Park Crit last weekend and took a 3rd in 35+ 4s and 6th in Elite 4s.

1 Like

Hi mate I’m looking at these. I’m 5’7 and 62kg. The chart says I’m,a small but wonder if xs is the go. Do they fit on the small side vs other brands or not? Thanks Dave

I’m 5’9" and 75kg. The medium was too large (for me the torso was too long and arms way too long leading to wrinkled bunched material around waist and wrists). I sold mine and if I were to buy another I’d go small for me. I think they fit large compared to other race oriented fit suits (castelli, Ale, Cuore)…talking about their time trial or 1 piece road suits.

Thanks Landis

I’ll go xs

Dave

1 Like

Good info thanks. The cycling tips ( I think ) comparison basically says the opposite. The size guide has me at the upper end of a medium and I was very tempted to go for the small (5’9 and 70kg).

Perhaps they changed the fit. I bought mine late '18 for the '19 season.

These suits need to fit tight and the medium on me was easy to get into, arms too long (had to fold about 3cm and do something with it, torso too long so when in position material was very wrinkled around belly mid area of body. A small would have been better for me.

A picture is worth a thousand words and I don’t have one. I can attach a picture of me in our current kit that fits well if you want to see what my5’9"/75Kg looks like. I’m a little chunky right now but, close to what I was then…LMK? No point in buying a skinsuit that’s too big…

1 Like

Maybe. I might see if they will send me a fit kit or something as I’m in the same country. Or find an excuse to go to the other side of the island for a day :smiley:

We use sportful in the club. The advice from the seller on their gear is buy a skinsuit the same size as the smallest jersey you can wear…and I easily enough fit their XS (size guide says S). I doubt we will have numbers looking for skin suit and tbh it’s a lot pricier than the velotec with no real info on performance and no number pocket.