Amp Human? --put the lotion on--Thoughts?

Has anyone tried a ramp test with and without the amp human with maybe a day in between to recover? It would be intetesting to know the results.

1 Like

felt really thick when I tried it; wasnā€™t a fan, but many love it. But the priceā€¦not cheap. ;-(
anyone making their own ?

after 2 min of googling it turns out the amp lotion is based on menthol (https://www.drugs.com/otc/1135715/pr.html ) ā€¦ which essentially is a mild anaesthetic (works like this: Muscle Rub With Menthol Topical: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Pictures, Warnings & Dosing - WebMD )

if you want a cheaper alternative, just ask in your local drug store for any generic menthol lotion (they are probably marketed to treat muscle aches/ tensions or aching joints)

2 Likes

It puts the lotion on its skin, or it gets the hose again!

3 Likes

Iā€™m going to guess that the label says menthol is the ā€œActiveā€ ingredient, and the ā€œInactiveā€ ingredient is bicarbonate. Product I was talking about also only lists methol as the active compound. Iā€™m guessing since the others have not been evaluated in a controlled study and you cannot make claims on your label that are not backed up by a study.

1 Like

It worked so well I rubbed it on my bike and trainer and set some new PRā€™s. Thanks Amp and itā€™s not just for Humans!

9 Likes

Itā€™s my understanding that menthol is just used for FDA purposes. Itā€™s actually not based on menthol at all.

1 Like

Yep. And the placebo effect is well documented. If you believe itā€™s going to work for you, you will have a better performance.

I did this after some discussion with my wife, who has a biochemistry degree and is a current med student.

Menthol is a skin permeability enhancer, allegedly aiding absorption into the skin. Itā€™s commonly used in products to aid permeability for the delivery of medicines, such as anti-inflammatories. Given the ingredients of Amp, it appears that they are looking to rapidly enhance the absorption of sodium bicarbonate as a lactate buffer by way of menthol. Soooā€¦ I simply went out and made my own, experimenting with various concentrations of menthol and sodium bicarbonate in a pre-made hypoallergenic lotion. The final ā€œproductā€ Iā€™ve settled on has more menthol than Amp, and is a bit grittier - I lack the same technology to mix a suspension, and probably added more sodium bicarb.

I compared the two back to back - extremely similar and noticeable results. My own concoction has more of a cooling feel, and is considerably less slippery, however does leave a gritty residue. Obviously, YMMV, but this isnā€™t a terribly difficult product to copy at home with a little understanding of skin barriers/biochemistry.

See also:

10 Likes

I was waiting for someone trying a home made version.

Could you share with us your recipe or at least proportions used ?

4 Likes

TBH, This last batch was more of a whimsical pursuit. So, I didnā€™t measure out and notate proportions. It was more of a kitchen based science experiment. I found a nice balance where the sodium bicarbonate absorbed into the lotion, mixed in some menthol and tried it out. Problem is, I made a ton of it, and havenā€™t had to make another batch yet. There is definitely a balance between too much sodium bicarb and not enough!

Next time, Iā€™ll be more scientific and measured in my process - but this was really more for personal interest. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I purchased some last year when I was getting ready to race the Leadville Trail 100 MTB. I was kind of in the mind set of trying anything that might improve performances.

Iā€™ve used it at pretty much every race since then (mostly because I still have the same tube so might as well keep using it).

Iā€™ve definitely used it and cramped really bad. And Iā€™ve definitely used it and had some amazing performances and shocked that my legs did not feel worse. It seems to me that 90% of the time I use it, my legs feel pretty dang good.

Another believer in the placebo mentality, if I think it works and feel better, Iā€™ll keep doing it!

3 Likes

There are also CBD Balms that have a similar effect if anyone was interested. Lazarus has worked for me

1 Like

how much bi carb did you use? would love to try a homemade remedy with a pre-warming lotion that is much less expensive

DMSO could be a good way to get it into your system (via skin)

3 Likes

Honestly, this wasnā€™t THE most scientific approach this time. I mixed until the bicarb was suspended and not gritty. Kitchen hand mixer on slow setting made a huge difference! Next time I make it, Iā€™ll be more methodical. But I made a TON last time, and havenā€™t even depleted 3/4 of my supply.

dang ok! i was told the mixing would be tough. i might try by hand today, or is that a waste of time?

FYI - Amp IS a little gritty. Like a fine layer of sand.

I found it to be relatively simple, and the bicarb mixed in nicely. It had the consistency of a really thin pancake batter. You could probably even use a whisk if youā€™re doing it by hand.

had bicarb on my legs after the lotion rubbed in so many too muchā€¦ i should have measured.

i also heard TOO much bicarb can hurt performance so ill try to reduce that amount