Any good audio books? Biographies/ cycling adventures?

Has anyone listened to a cycling related audio book they are desperate to enthuse about?

1 Like

I have a 1-hour each way commute, so Audible is a bane of my existence (in addition to TR podcast!)

I’ve “read” (and recommend) the following within the past year:

All 3 of Phil Gaimon’s books - HUGE Phil Gaimon fan here!
Peter Sagan’s new book, My World
The Tour According to G
The Secret Race - Tyler Hamilton
The Climb - Chris Froome
Descent - Thomas Dekker
The Brave Athlete - Simon Marshall/Lesley Patterson
The Rules - The Velominati/Greg LeMond

4 Likes

I like that Phil Gamion’s Nick name is the Cookie Monster. It bodes well.
Cheers dude ,:smiley:

Can back up @Jhardisk here with a few of these. Phils books, the secret race and the descent all amazing books. How bad do you want it by Matt Fitzgerald and Can’t hurt me by David Goggins are gonna make you smash your next few workouts too so and def available as audiobooks.

But my all time fave cycling book is Tim Krabbe’s The Rider. It is an absolute must. Although not sure it is available as an audiobook.

3 Likes

Just added the Fitzgerald and Goggins books to my library on audible! :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Everything from Mark Beaumont!

The Man who Cycled the World
The Man Who Cycled The Americas
Africa Solo: My World Record Race from Cairo to Cape Town
Around the World in 80 Days: My World Record Breaking Adventure

mindboggling stuff and absolutely worth a read!

edit:

There’s also Julianna Buhrings book about her cycling around the word:
This Road I Ride
her Life’s story is really something else

2 Likes

“Not Without My Sisters” is another one by her that I was going to recommend. The content may be a little heavy for on the bike, but it’s definitely worth a read.

1 Like

may want to check on your definition of bane :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Oh, I used it as intended! I HATE driving - and would rather read the print copies :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

Thomas Dekker was pretty good, 6.5/10
really like Gaimon’s Draft Animals from a few years back
Vaughters one is ok, gets a bit long

1 Like

The Rider is awesome though! i need to go read that again

2 Likes

The Tom Simpson biography “Put me back on my bike” by William Fotheringham,
the Jacques Anquetil biography “Sex, Lies and Handlebar Tape” by Paul Howard,
and since you already read “The Rules”, I can also recommend “The Hardmen”.

1 Like

My friend did the narration for The Tour According to G. I listened just for his voice!

1 Like

The Racer. David Millar. Brilliant audiobook. I’ve played it about 4 times over the past couple of years.

1 Like

A Life Without Limits - Chrissie Wellington is very good, but the second book she did (To The Finish Line) really doesn’t work as an audiobook.

1 Like

Not sure if it’s available in audiobook format, but Road to Valor is an excellent book. Same goes for Jens Voigt’s Shut Up Legs.

2 Likes

Gironimo! by Tim Moore is entertaining and I believe is on Audible. I don’t know if Phil Keoghan’s (Amazing Race guy) film Le Ride was ever was in book format, but it is also pretty good.

1 Like

I enjoyed A Dog In A Hat by Joe Parkin, but doesn’t look like it’s an audiobook. It’s about an American who goes to race in Belgium.

I recently read The River by Peter Heller. It’s not cycling related but it was riveting and definitely involves adventure (canoe trip through northern Canada) if that’s your thing. Looks like there is an audio version available.

1 Like

Im not an audiobook man, but Cav‘s books have been a light and enjoyable read. Also, not directly cycling related, but The Boys in the Boat was absolutely brilliant. Rowing people are crazy people just like us.

1 Like

Too cool! It’s very well done!