Any way to do "stomps" on ERG mode?

First post whoop!

I’ve been using Trainerroad for a while now, and have been using a Tacx Vortex Smart for TR workouts on ERG mode for the most part.

On workouts with what coach Chad calls “stomps” though, the ERG mode just feels clumsy at ramping up resistance.

How do you guys do workouts like these? Does everyone just switch off ERG and go to the small cog, or is there some way to use ERG mode?

One trick in ERG can be to slow your cadence 5-10 rpm before the stomp section (maybe 10-30 seconds early). It increases the resistance because of the lower rpm, and give you more “bite” at the beginning.

This will vary from trainer to trainer because of resistance levels and flywheel inertia.

You can sure swap to Resistance mode. Easy on Mac and PC, but a pain on mobile.

2 Likes

Thanks @mcneese.chad , will try this on my next stomp workout. Sounds like the logical thing to do!

1 Like

I’m not sure if this is what you’re asking for, but my trick for exceeding a workout’s wattage during a sprint (on a Tacx Neo) is to start out in a low (large) gear in back and shift to the next higher (smaller) gear every few seconds. This way I can keep ahead of the reductions in resistance that the trainer makes. Of course this only works for short sprints like 30 seconds or less; otherwise, you run out of gears.

1 Like

That can work too. I sometimes do the small to big ring shift with the same idea.

1 Like

mcneese.chad
That can work too. I sometimes do the small to big ring shift with the same idea.

I do that too and works very well for big power changes.

2 Likes