Athlete Interviews: Alison Tetrick

Alison Tetrick is known as the Queen of Kanza and one of the best endurance racers in the world. We discussed everything from Dirty Kanza strategy to rebounding from traumatic accidents in the latest episode of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast. Tune in now!

Youtube Video:

Topics Covered in This Episode

• What sports Alison did as a kid
  • How Alison got into endurance sports
  • Why Alison transitioned from triathlon to cycling
  • How to stay motivated to train and race as you get older
  • What caused Alison to transition from road racing to gravel
  • The psychology behind an athlete
  • Did researching psychology change Alison’s approach to training?
  • How to get into the sweet spot suffering state
  • What differences were there in training for road vs gravel racing
  • Do you have to replicate the distance of a long race before the race itself?
  • How technical can you get with gravel racing equipment?
  • Tips and Tricks for Dirty Kanza
  • How to pace Dirty Kanza
  • Common mistakes that Alison sees people do at Kanza
  • How to deal with cramping on a long distance race
  • Advice for gravel world champs
  • How a woman’s menstrual cycle affects training and how to manage it
  • Why Alison gravitated to long distance racing
  • What’s keeping Alison motivated

Subscribe to the Podcast

Listen to previous episodes on SoundCloud

7 Likes

As a non-racer, I felt this episode was more relevant to me, since I’m trying a bunch of different events (CX, gravel) to see what I like.

2 Likes

Thank you for another great episode. Ali is a strong athlete and an interesting person with a unique story.

1 Like

Really enjoyed the podcast. As someone hoping to do gravel worlds, I’ll try and hang with you as best I can! lol Personally, if I do it I’d like to have an IF of 0.65-0.75 (so maybe around 230w at best). Having never done it (I usually ride at a local gym when I’m in town so I’ve never ridden the roads there) I have no idea where I’d fit in as far as target time, so it’s just mainly a matter of staying within myself.

1 Like

That was a helpful one. I’m doing DK and Gravel Worlds this year. They will be my second and third gravel race ever so it’s good to have a few extra tidbits of information for the two of them.

1 Like

Five star interview, both of you. What impressed me was not so much the list of accomplishments of a gifted and highly competitive athlete with an intelligence to match. It was the window it provided into her continuously unfolding growth as a reflective and heartful human being, despite — maybe even because of — the crash and its trauma to body, mind, spirit. She didn’t give up or disown her obsessive cycling, her geekiness, her drive to come to the front. But it looks like she learned a new and wiser relation to all those things and to the athlete in her, as a contributor to a rich and relational human life among fellows, rather than a cancer on it. Still works out, but not to the exclusion of the friend’s baby shower. I’ll bet she can still mount an elaborate spreadsheet battle plan down to the last tenth of a watt — and laugh heartily at herself for doing so, which she does throughout the interview. It’s the magic of taking life seriously enough not to take oneself too seriously.

2 Likes

This is one of the best Podcasts so far, great interview!

3 Likes

what is the vest that Alison uses?

Men’s Fit

New Women’s Fit

I have been using the men’s one for a year and really like it. Comfy and carries a bunch of stuff.

@mcneese.chad why did you get rid of it? This one sounds great for my Xterra races.

I didn’t mean to imply that I stopped using it. I still have it and use it for gravel and short MTB rides. Just the right size for most of my riding. Super happy with it and plan to use it for years.

1 Like

I loved it! I use a lot of the same techniques with the Camelbak Chase vest for stage racing (and same pacing plan in a lot of cases for stage races- stay with the men as long as you can!)

Thanks for another great episode!

3 Likes