Athlete Interviews – Breakaways with Clif Bar Racing

Not many teams know more about breakaways than Clif Bar Racing, and their status as USA Crits Champions Lap Leader Champions backs that up. Tune in as Joe Lewis, Conor and Kevin Mullervy and Pete Morris go over every aspect of how to start, manage and successfully execute a breakaway.

Youtube Live Video:

Topics covered in this episode:

Subscribe to the Podcast

Listen to previous episodes on SoundCloud

5 Likes

Finishing this video now - two days before going down to a stage race with my team. Really poignant, and extremely well presented! Seriously considering trying to convince my teammates to adopt the early breakaway strategy with counter attacks in the hilly road race :+1::+1:

Well done, @Jonathan! Please pass along kudos to Team Clif bar as well!

9 Likes

Loved this episode! Great information.

2 Likes

Thank you, and I will!

Really glad you enjoyed it! I genuinely feel this was one of our most helpful episodes yet. Joe, Connor, Kevin and Pete are all super savvy and experienced racers that can articulate these somewhat nebulous and complex aspects of racing. Kudos to them!

3 Likes

Great episode thanks

1 Like

Any of you guys coming to Tulsa Tough?

Great episode, as always

Conor has one n in his name though @Ian he was quite adamant near the end :slight_smile:

1 Like

We’ll be there!

1 Like

Yes, the Clif Bar Team will be there!!!

1 Like

I updated the lead post.

2 Likes

Thanks for doing that Chad!

1 Like

Thanks for having my back Phill. I was wondering if anyone was going to catch that!!

3 Likes

That was my bad, not Ian’s :grimacing:

3 Likes

Just so everyone knows everyone on the podcast is here on the forum! Don’t hesitate to tag us in questions or if you want us to weigh in on anything. Conor is @cmullervy, Joe is @Joe-lewis, and Kevin is @Ginger1 and I’m slowly bringing the rest of the team into the fold.

12 Likes

Can you guys come back to the weekly CSP crits in Golden this summer? We’re all kind of missing you guys attacking every lap : )

4 Likes

We do miss those as well. Hoping we can make it out to more this summer.

2 Likes

good podcast! As I get geeked up about the season (and my increased FTP!) I’ve been wondering about a) whether I’ll be strong enough to start to dictate terms as opposed to just trying to hang on for dear life and b) what types of things that I, with potentially an FTP of 4.2-4.3w/kg, might be able to do in Cat 5 in what I’ve always viewed as a strong region in New England. I’m doing the sustained power build, kind of with the hopes of doing something crazy like launch early and see if I can stay away from the field (talking about road races, not crits here).

1 Like

Even though I don’t see myself ever doing a crit (competitively) I enjoyed this episode as well. It was great to hear from all the pro guys.

1 Like

Yesterday I assigned this video as homework to my 4 teammates that are racing with me this weekend. I initially posted it in our chat because one teammate was saying we should break away at the start…but she (and the others!) watched and we have all developed some plans and goals for tomorrow’s circuit race. I mean, they likely won’t go according to plan, but it has been super fun to discuss tactics with them with a little more knowledge under our belts.

Thank you all for continued excellence with the podcasts.

3 Likes