During our time at Sea Otter, @Jonathan sat down with each member of the Stans-Pivot Pro Team p/b Maxxis to discuss their pre-race routines and ask some of the questions you submitted for them.
Keegan Swenson is one of the best cross-country MTB racers in the USA, and is currently focused on earning a spot to the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo, Japan. I’ve never met anybody who approaches the training process with so much enthusiasm and optimism, and I think we can all learn from that in this interview. Enjoy the podcast, and be more like Keegan!
Topics Covered in This Episode
- Keegan’s ideal dinner before a race
- Sleep hacks to deal with sleeping in different places
- Keegan’s morning routine
- Does spinning on race morning help or hinder your race performance?
- Ride or Drive to the Venue?
- What is the best pre-race breakfast?
- Keegan’s warmup music and routine
- How Keegan gets “in the zone” on race day
- Does visualizing the course help you during the race?
- Keegan’s Sea Otter race recap
- How to prioritize training vs rest/recovery
- Recovery tips from Keegan
- How to fit strength training into your cycling training
- Keegan’s favorite place to ride
- What Keegan likes to treat himself with after a successful race
- Why Keegan wishes he did consistent strength training when he started racing
Stay tuned for the final interview from Sea Otter tomorrow, and if you have any questions for Keegan regarding his approach to training, racing, equipment, nutrition, etc., reply below!