Athlete Interviews: Rose Grant – Stan's Pivot Pro Team

During our time at Sea Otter, @Jonathan sat down with each member of the Stans-Pivot Pro Team p/b Maxxis to discuss their pre-race routines and ask some of the questions you submitted for them.

Rose Grant is a 4x national champion, multi-time Epic Rides champion, and a previous USA World Championships team member. She lives and trains in Whitefish, MT and manages to be a world-class contender while balancing the responsibilities of motherhood. Rose’s experience at the pointy-end of some off the biggest XC races in the world, and her experience of returning from a string of devastating injuries gives her an entirely unique perspective that we can all learn from. Enjoy!

Topics Covered in This Episode

• Rose’s favorite pre-race dinner
  • Managing sleep as a professional athlete and a parent
  • Race day morning routine
  • What Rose eats for breakfast on race morning
  • Ride or Drive to the race venue?
  • Rose’s warmup routine
  • How long should you warm up?
  • Getting "in the zone"
  • What Rose looks for when she pre-rides a course
  • What music Rose listens to to get in the racing headspace
  • Rose's Sea Otter race recap
  • Where is Rose's favorite place to ride
  • What Rose indulges in after a successful day on the bike
  • Baking and Biking - how to balance training and indulgence
  • How to deal with injury mentally and physically
  • Balancing training, racing, and family
  • What Rose wishes she did early on in her race career

We hope you enjoyed these interviews with the Stan’s Pivot Pro Team, and if you have any questions for Rose regarding her approach to training, racing, equipment, nutrition, etc., reply below!

But, let’s get to the important things: where is the cookie recipe? :smiley:

9 Likes

I just don’t find these interview type podcasts that interesting - sorry.
It’s probably just me, but I’m not that bothered about listening to one person talk about their own personal experience or routine.
Give me the usual format, with some science to support certain arguments or rationale any day of the week. I just can’t listen to the other stuff.

I appreciate what your saying Tomm, but I think podcast preferences are very individual. I like to listen to a personal story unfold and enjoy the lessons and feelings of inspiration.

It’s refreshing to hear people’s struggles and doubts as well as their strengths. Thank you Rose.

And for the prospect of a good cookie recipe :yum:

2 Likes

I glean something from every one of these and I haven’t been on a mountain bike in two decades. I enjoy and learn as much or more from the athlete interviews as I do from random Joe or Jane asking the purpose of Pettit or if it’s OK to do Sweet Spot Base with an extra outdoor ride every other week. :laughing:

To each their own.

I agree about the science. That Flo cycling interview from Kona 2016 is an addictive drug for me.

Yeah absolutely right, be a boring world if everyone liked the same thing. Nothing against this person at all for me, I just don’t find them that interesting for some reason and miss the usual format when it’s not there.

The guys at Flo are awesome, they go through really interesting stuff for me, now the Zwift podcast…well, don’t get me started :joy:

2 Likes

I shall try some of the Flo podcasts- they look interesting.
Cheers Tom :grinning:

Still waiting for @Jonathan to post that cookie recipe

5 Likes