Attacking vs. Tailgunning, Pre-Workout Supplements and More – Ask a Cycling Coach 198

Glad I shall have be remembered as the one who called for the nature break during Bariani, a higher honor than getting 2nd in the race. :wink:

6 Likes

I know there shouldn’t be much of a difference between men & women but personally there is no way I can do this.

Also: I have seen someone (a guy :)) stand up on a downhill and do it “fountain style” (big arch!); I was thoroughly impressed (while definitely keeping my distance).

3 Likes

I found the supplement discussion enlightening. Have to admit that I’m a sucker for sports drink marketing :rofl:

1 Like

I have a dumb trainer and a smart roller and use both in winter. I feel it is much more smooth transitioning from a more rollers intensive week before riding outside.
I used to have only the trainer and then it took me 3 or 4 rides outside to be confident enough to take both hands from the bars.
Now with the rollers I can do it in the first minute.
@Jonathan only uses rollers so maybe he can share his thoughts on this.

1 Like

I am mid to top Cat 3 in 5s, 5m and 20m power according to Coggan tables. However I am just low Cat 5 - Top Cat 5 in 1 minute power. I always wondered why and even targeted some workouts to address this limiting factor. Glad to know I am not alone. :grinning:

I exclusively ride rollers when training indoors. I just can’t stand the way it feels when my bike is fixed in a vertical plane as it is when connected to a trainer (wheel-on or direct drive). I also like that little bit of mental engagement having to balance, brings to my training. It also seems to make the time go by faster.

But to the question of whether it helps when getting back outside, I think it does…to a point. While you can’t practice hitting a 90° turn full-gas on rollers, I do think always having to balance keeps that part of your brain active during the off season, so when you get back on the road (or trail) it’s just business as usual.

1 Like

Can anyone provide the caffeine additive Nate mentioned to counter the digestion/ jittery effect? I heard “Alfineine?” but Google only provides a similarly named commune in Italy :smirk:

L-Theanine :slight_smile:

1 Like

L-theanine is naturally found in tea, green and black. Nate is probably using amounts in greater excess than several cups of tea.

Quick question for you guys living at moderate altitude. You talk about going to sea level and the nice boost in power, but did you also notice this in Hawaii? Or other places where it’s quite humid/hot.

Do a 2:1 ratio of l-theanine to caffeine

2 Likes

hey @Jonathan will you be releasing your gopro footage from @Nate_Pearson’s wining crit?
*asking for a friend who needs something interesting to watch at work. o.O

1 Like

Yes

1 Like

Is there a short clip of @Nate_Pearson doing the stretch/deadlift move? Thanks

It starts at 1:39:29 - link should open at bookmarked section.

3 Likes

I don’t drink tea (bad Englishman) or coffee so my caffeine intake is down to an occasional (once a month) Coke Zero. How much caffeine before workouts would negate it working on the big days when I really need it.

I found the discussion on TrainerRoad usage for non-racers useful. I have a follow-up question:

I am aiming for a tough event here in Michigan (Cherry Roubaix or Michigan Mountain Mayhem depending on vacation plans).

Was the suggestion in the podcast to keep using a Low Volume plan throughout the summer, while the weather outside permits regular riding? If so, this is mentally draining.

Edit: I have to admit that without a training plan, it might be difficult to complete the race, but I’m guessing I’m not the only one here who struggles with having to train indoors when the weather outside is nice.

1 Like

Very much so. I live in Colorado and don’t race away from home much, but the times I have, the difference is noticeable. Not only can you hold higher power, but VO2 efforts are easier to recover from and you can do more of them closer together.

1 Like

I ask since people talk like heat acclimation sounds like just as tough to handle as altitude.

I did some training in the basement without a fan but didn’t go overboard. Less than 10 workouts, and they were mostly Pettit and other easier stuff. This race was in Augusta, GA, and was about 70%+ humidity and 90+ degrees. I’m also a smaller guy at 60 kg and 5’6", so heat doesn’t have as much of an adverse effect on me as bigger people.