Back to the Future - Training/Racing tips for your younger self

If you could jump in the DeLorean & give your younger self some training/racing advice what would it be?

Me:

• Don’t worry about the bad races - they’re the one’s that’ll improve you the most.

• Stop racing around in every training session like an idiot. Actually use the HR monitor you’ve got and keep the easy days easy.

• Don’t try and PB that 10k run with a chest infection - it’s a really stupid idea.

• Don’t run that half marathon with an injured hip - that’s an even stupider idea.

• Don’t worry about fitness in taper week - getting to race day feeling fresh & healthy is more important.

poster

2 Likes

Wear gloves when racing.

1 Like

Stick with one coach and stick to the plan

Don’t try KETO. It will mess you up.

2 Likes

Understanding all TSS is not equal. Trying to push CTL up via any TSS possible is a good way to plateau.

:joy:

Stock tips.

Then I could retire early, ride, and travel :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Don’t be a one trick pony.

You can ride a lot harder.

1 Like

Stretch.

1 Like

When people were flicking you off, and honking their horns all the time ~10 years ago while on your first road bike, don’t give up and sell it. You would have been a freaking phenom.

No matter how long I need to get to the line before the race, prioritize my warm ups.

Rest days are as equally important as training days.
FORGIVE yourself.

2 Likes

Your knee problems are not knee problems, they’re foot problems: find an ortho who understands cycling and get fitted for proper orthotics (which covers my 1981-2003).

2 Likes

Don’t race not to lose; race to win

Don’t stress so much about every race

4 Likes