Backpack and back pain

I went out on my longest ride in about 6 months, 38 miles in the saddle. I just came off two weeks of non-stop TR SSB1 sessions and cross training; I should have known better but I decided to add an 18-20mph group ride to that. I couldn’t handle it and I got dropped about 15 miles in, put-putted home by myself after that.

What’s worse is that I developed some lower back pain about 1/2 of the way home. The pain also involves some sort of muscle on the right side of my groin, it feels like it’s overly tight.

How much would a light backpack (5-7lbs) factor in to that back pain? I use the backpack to store patch kits, CO2 canisters, multitools, spare tubes, extra food, and a good-sized pump. During the week I commute with the backpack and my laptop adds another 5 lbs.

I read that backpain on the bike is largely attributed to poor lower abdominal muscle activation, but I’m wondering if the backpack is a larger issue for me. Thanks in advance for any help.

1 Like

There can be many many factors that contribute and even exacerbate the pain. Worth a visit to the local physiotherapist!

In the mean time, best to use a back pack with a waist Band for support. Allow that band to lightly ‘rest’ on top of hips so it can unload for the extra weight that may otherwise be transferred to your lower back

If you have a roller on hand, use it to find tight spots and knots or gently message your muscles. Look up hip flexors. I had a mystery groin/back pain injury for ages. Turned out to be one of my inner abductors causing the issue!
Use a tennis ball or similar on specific areas like your QLs and psoas.
Take your time and don’t overdo it - what I mean is by everyday. It’s plainly uncomfortable the day after and causes more inflammation if you do too much. Allow your muscles to relax, stretch and heal on their own time. Better yet, the physiotherapist is better off saying this :sweat_smile::ok_hand:

1 Like

Thanks a bunch! I actually have waist straps it stored them in the backpack compartment, I should break them out.

I’ll try out the tennis ball rolling and see if that helps too.

1 Like

Definitely could, but it is probably more a strength issue in your abs or flexibility and strength in your hips.

On another note, Why do you need all that in a backpack for a 2 hour group ride? I’d get a saddle bag for a tube, patch, and CO2, then carry two bottles and if you need a bar, put it in your jersey. Seems like a lot of gear for 38 miles! Even commuting, you can probably drop quite a bit of that weight off your back and let your bike carry it.

But I suspect other underlying issues are causing the back pain more than the backpack.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice.

I’m so used to riding with a backpack and using the seatpost fit my varia and cycliq camera light, there’s no more room left for a saddle bag.

That said, I’m afraid I might agree with you on the flexibility/strength issue. My hips are very inflexible, it’s difficult to even sit with my legs crossed.

they should help alot :slight_smile: they’ll be very handy incase you need to stop by a grocery store on the way home!
I used to commute with a stupid heavy backpack almost everyday, felt like a packed camel haha! Still worth it than using a car. You get used to it and learn to manage.

Backpacks suck in their own way, if you let it. But they’re convenient and easy to store alot in. Make sure it fits YOU comfortably. And while riding, move your upper body now and then, shake your arms and rid any tension that may build, and you’ll be just fine! :slight_smile: :call_me_hand:

1 Like

It’s probably better to take a lighter backpack as it will not have a bad influence on your back especially while you are running or riding a bike. I have found some good options at https://10luggage.com/best-backpacks-for-law-school/ such as Tocode Fashion Laptop. But from my experience, it is better to train without backpacks. As it can be hard to find the backpack that will be suitable for your posture and form of your back.