Base nutrition plan - protein focussed

I’ve got some whey protein on order, this’ll be the first time I focus of my protein intake and I’d like your feedback.

I want a basic, simple, nothing-unusual, nothing-hard-to-pronounce, base framework to my diet so I’m more likely to get the protein I need.

Assumptions:
1.6-2g protein per kilo needed (80kg so 130-160g/day)
Training two sessions in a day (Full distance mid vol tri plan)
A bit less or a bit more protein won’t kill me
My body will absorb a max of 20-30g per sitting

Proposal:

Base nutrition plan (~130g)

6am Boiled eggs, toast, coffee, glass of milk

Eggs 20g
Milk 7g

10am Coffee break

Cappucino, large 8g
Bacon (2 rasher) sandwich 12g

1pm After Run/bike lunch

Tuna sandwich 23g
Banana 2g

4pm Snack
Protein bar 9g

8pm After swim/bike dinner

Soup 8-13g
Meal with Chicken/fish/beef ~40g

Thoughts?

This has been debunked. You can safely have more than 30g and the body will be able to handle it just fine.

If you want to split your meals into 6 for psychological benefits, you can, but your body will burn more energy from the thermic effect of digestion if you have fewer larger meals.

You don’t have nearly enough vegetables.

3 Likes

:rofl:

Yep - it’s a framework for protein consumption, not everything I consume :slight_smile:

I’ll check the absorption assumption :+1:

1 Like

Incorrect. The optimal rate for absorption on a bell curve is around 20-30g but your body quite simply doesn’t just go “we’ve had 30g thanks, straight to the anus with the rest pls” :smile:

Everything @stevemz said too.

Plenty of room for salad and veg in there, Natural/0% fat yogurt is another protein source not to overlook.

Whey should really be to make up any shortfall rather than a primary source. Eggs have the highest bioavailability and won’t effect blood cholesterol so you can go wild on these.

3 Likes

I think this is a great plan. Your plan seems to be based on another assumption I’d like to make explicitly, ‘Get my protein from food, not supplements’. And whilst 20-30 g isn’t a hard limit, it does seem like a good guideline for pacing your protein intake over the day.

My personal jury is still out on whey protein. As it comes from milk, and is a by-product of making cheese, I tend to allow it as real food, but don’t overuse it. I like Matt Fitzgerald’s Diet Quality Score (DQS) approach, and you might want to splurge $1.99 on it. If I remember right, your first whey protein is considered quality, and subsequent ones not. I do like the DQS approach, and suggest you track your diet in it fro a week or two. If you’re getting scores of 15+ you’re doing good, and it helps you identify both gaps and oversupply.

3 Likes

Look in to the amino acid composition of your protein for each of those meals as well.

Watch out for the 0 fat yogurt they can have a shocking amount of sugar compared to the whole milk version.

I like to add dry curd cottage cheese in right before bed. All slow burning protein with almost nothing else.

1 Like

This is a good point. I like Fage 0%, which is 120 calories, 7 grams sugar and 23 grams protein per cup. The whole milk version is 210 calories, 7 grams sugar (the same as the 0% version) and 20g protein.

+greek yogurt
+cottage cheese

your list is similar to what I do to hit 200g of protein a day. At 56 years young I’ve seen surprising strength gains in the gym by increasing protein. We’ve always eaten a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables. And I have whey protein on hand for days when my schedule makes it difficult to get protein from real food.

2 Likes

Honestly if you’re eating yogurt you should be eating plain yogurt - non-fat or whole milk doesn’t matter - if it is flavored it has a ton of crap in it

1 Like

Knudsen low fat cottage cheese has 11g or protein in 1/2 cup serving, 90 calories, and 20 calories from fat. About half the protein as Fage 0% mentioned earlier, for roughly the same calories.

Following on from the yogurt front I go through plenty of plain Skyr yoghurt with various low calories flavourings added at home.

Essentially the same Protein, CHO, Fat breakdown as most low fat Cottage Cheese which I also go through by the tubful.

Per 100g

Cal 65kcal
Fat 0.2g
CHO 4g
Protein 11g

I like this PT’s videos, new one on eating plan for hardgains. Sorry fellow cyclists, no killer shots of 2000 watt producing quads ha ha, and you need to mentally substitute ftp increases for strength gains in gym.

and

worth a listen if you prefer videos to reading about plans.

1 Like

Hi all - quick follow up question, I think I know the answer to:

Do you maintain the high protein intake on recovery days?

I’m guessing yes, as it’s what’s repairing the muscles…

1 Like

Quinoa if you’re after the highest concentration of natural protein and don’t want to harm animals.

1 Like

It’s a bit tricky to keep up, so far I’ve been using ‘The Whey’ with semi milk once per day to supplement, but mostly it’s from food.

Protein
Day 1 130g
Day 2 180g
Day 3 130g
Day 4 190g

I’m recording on MyFitnessPal so I can’t help notice that it’s telling me to consume more carbs and sugars most days, then theres fruit and veg…but on the protein front I think I’m making good headway. :slight_smile: