Benefits (?) of TRX for cycling

I eventually want to get into more “hardcore” weight lifting, but I am a total noob at this and would like to approach it having first built a decent foundation.

The gym I will go to offers TRX sessions and I am keen on starting with that in order to get a modicum of core functionality. And maybe after a couple months of that I’ll progress to a “proper”* weight lifting regime.

(a) Is TRX a valid option for the purpose I outline?
(b) Does the “plan” I am thinking of make sense for me?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

*one along the lines coach chad and others have proposed

TRX is mostly core focused, so I’d say yes, there is a huge benefit for cyclists.

TRX is great. You can get a good total body workout with it.

The best thing about TRX is you can get a decent workout in your basement, or anywhere really. A full fledged gym plan would be great. But I get plenty of value from just doing a handful of basic exercises 3x per week at home. Everyone should have some TRX straps! (Or, get knock offs - there is no magic to the TRX brand. There are even directions online on how to make your own set for about $15)

BTW - Suspension strap work can be tough enough that you never have to “transition” to weights.

Thanks guys.

It seems I will start off with TRX then, and dabble in weights later on

TRX is great especially if you want to start strength training. I’ve had a bad habit of not keeping up with my strength so when I start back, I always start on the TRX so that I just don’t go and murder all my muscles by trying to do too much. The TRX helps keep me from doing that. Then when I move to weights, there are moves on the TRX that I continue to do because they are so good for the core and still hard.

that is close to what I was thinking of. TRX can be a “bread and butter”, hopefully around the year foundation of core functionality, and weight lifting per se could serve to boost strength and strength-endurance (if I’m getting this right)

While I love the TRX (or better termed ‘suspension training’) for the use of a stable platform and unstable body positioning, and the variety of uses/exercises you can do with it, I think we have to remember that it is a tool for training. While it is excellent for body weight exercises and ‘re’-learning fundamental movements, it lacks the ability to add external load. So, as you progress, I think you’ll need to look to add other tools (external loads, different exercises, maybe a gym membership). I would be hesitant to wait an entire year before introducing resistance training (if I understand your post correctly) as you’ll be missing out on the benefits that the external loading can do for you.

Great to see you adding to your toolbox!

Hey gd

Actually I’m saying I’ll begin with TRX and start dabbling with larger (than body) weight-lifting about 4-8 weeks later. I agree with you on reaping the benefits of extra loads as soon as possible, but not before “relearning fundamental movements” :slight_smile: