Best Chain Lube for Wheel off Trainer

Hey all

using the new Wahoo Kickr CORE

wondering what people would recommend for chain lube on Kickr’s in general?

I had read wax lube was a good shout.

Recently bought some ‘Squirt’ lube to use on my outside bike - highly recommended by a few people and by the guys on AACC …

anyone have any thoughts experience(s)?

Looking mainly to insure i keep my chain and chainrings in good order whilst i pile up the indoor hours.

Thanks!

Alex

I use Silca chain lube which is quite viscous and have been tested to last for a really long time.

1 Like

I have been waxing my chains with Molten Speed Wax for a year. I don’t do it because it’s supposed to make me faster. I just need to ride on more on TrainerRoad to get faster. I wax because it hands down is the quietest and cleanest way to go on and off the trainer. I can run my chain for about 600 miles or until it starts to squeak which has never happened before 450 miles. My buds and I have a waxing party, doing 2-3 chains each then shut it down and enjoy the peacefulness.

I use squirt when I am away on a ride and hear a squeak, but as soon as I get back to the house, the chain is swapped. Squirt is definitely second best but wax for me all the way living in dry Cali.

Note the initial investment is steep for waxing if you go all the way, but we all contribute to the bike workshop as a group so it works out for us.

4 Likes

+1 for waxing and Squirt as a second option. I find Squirt “almost” as good as waxing.

2 Likes

I laughed

(we do the same thing)

+1 for waxing your chains

2 Likes

If your trainer bike is indoor only then I think waxing is the only way to go.

It will last a long time and is super easy to re-dip without any additional cleaning.

I second the Silca NFS lube, but strongly looking at moving to MSW

One bike over here, I’m using Rock-N-Roll Gold. With RNR they say you can never overwipe the chain so that’s what I do after every outdoor ride. Usually relube every 150-300 miles. No mess while on the trainer.

7 Likes

I just use Squirt indoors. No problems after 2 winters same chain 3000 miles.

2 Likes

Has anyone tried Muc-Off C3 Dry Ceramic Lube?

I’m close to having a trainer only bike, so I’m looking for a lube that will last and stay clean.

1 Like

WD40 on all bikes :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

anyone use wend chain wax? just rubs on. nothing complicated. check that out. im happy with it so far. only used it briefly but a ton of trainer rides and some outdoor mtb rides and a few washes and i had no drivetrain noise.

Muc-Off Ceramic Dry Lube seems to do well for me.

@AlphaDogCycling I have used it and it is pretty good but have recently started using Squirt. It is way cleaner and doesn’t pick up dust and dirt that may exist in the air and room/floor. It’s wax based and power cleaning your drive train is necessary before applying it but lasts a long time and is quick and easy and clean once it has been applied once and you need to apply it again. Really like the Muc off products but have found Squirt to be better in at least dry conditions. Haven’t had opportunity to try it much in wet conditions.

2 Likes

Yes, works great in dry and dusty conditions and also keeps your chain nice and shiny

1 Like

That’s my go-to chain lube. Doesn’t last long in wet conditions but indoors it’s great.

1 Like

@Lawrence I currently use Squirt on both my road bike and my gravel bike, but I find that it flings off black stuff. I only notice this indoors, hence the question on lube just for a bike that will only be used indoors with a wheel off trainer.

For outdoors, I really like Squirt. My LBS has an ultrasonic cleaner, so when it is time for a new chain, I have them run the new chain through their cleaner, prior to installation. That gets all of the factory grease / lube off of the chain.

Yeah I’m a massive fan of wend use it on my summer and winter bikes now as well as on the trsiner

+1

@AlphaDogCycling I haven’t had any issues that you describe. Is it possible that there are still remnants of previous lubricants that are intermixing with the Squirt to cause this?

1 Like