Bizarre and annoying Powertap P1 pedal issue

Quarq has been part of SRAM for years (since 2011) and has nothing really to do with the P1 pedals until the note below.

I am guessing you are talking about the more recent acquisition where SRAM bought PowerTap?
If so, yes, PowerTap is now handled under the SRAM umbrella.

Wahoo have enabled verbose logging on my device and asked me to reproduce the issue - I did that this morning on a short ride. I could clearly see on descents that the L/R balance field was showing 127/-27 (and sometimes switching back to 50/50). Iā€™ve sent the logs to them, so hopefully theyā€™ll be able to fix it in the next firmware update.

It seems like some kind of arithmetic overflow / divide by zero error when trying to apportion the zero watts power between the left and right. The left overflows to 127 (the maximum value a signed byte can hold), then the right is calculated as (100 - left).

1 Like

So Iā€™m glad itā€™s not only me. Quark is habit me pair with a buddies head unit to see if it reproduces the issue. Make sure it isnā€™t the pedals. Which is my only concern.

1 Like

Did it affect the overall numbers? Or just the leg balance. Iā€™m very concerned. My FTP after a long break is around 160. (Not high I know). But my last ride said I averaged 89watts when I know for a fact that is wrong. I had standing climb intervals. :pensive:

Just the L/R balance. My overall numbers seem completely normal - the same average that I get when commuting on my other bike with a left-only 4iiii power meter.

You said in a previous post that wahoo were aware of the issue and itā€™s a bug that they are working through. In this post you say theyā€™ve asked for info from your power meter to check your data?

Do they still say itā€™s definitely the wahoo that is the issue?

I think @Jasmine_Rayner said that, not me, after calling support.

I reported it online and was asked to send them logs, which Iā€™ve done. They havenā€™t confirmed to me that the issue is on their side, but it does seem highly likely. It depends whether the L/R percentages are calculated by the head unit from raw power values, or calculated by the pedals themselves. I think weā€™ll find itā€™s the head unit.

Iā€™ll let you know when I hear back from them.

1 Like

Apologies. Thanks

I paired the pedals to a Garmin unit and no issues with balance or any other numbers in fact.
Definitely Wahooā€™s end. I just like to be sure.

2 Likes

That is good news, unfortunately I donā€™t have a Garmin to do this myself but this almost certainly seems like a Wahoo issue thatā€™ll get resolved with a software update soon

1 Like

Just chiming in to offer nothing helpful, other than to say I have the exact same issue with P1 pedals and an Elemnt Bolt computer! I emailed Wahoo about it before finding this thread and will update if I hear anything helpful from them.

Iā€™m pretty sure, as many of you are, that the problem is with Wahoo and not the pedals, as when I upload my rides to TrainingPeaks the L/R balance is much more ā€˜normalā€™: 49.5/50.5 vs. 57/43 in the Wahoo app. Wahoo is clearly doing something weird with its interpretation of the raw data.

3 Likes

Good to know. Makes me feel better. Rather a $250 computer be the problem than $800 pedals.

2 Likes

I took my pedals to the gym today and attached them to a trainer bike connected them to the powertap ipad via Bluetooth and to trainerroad on my phone via ant+

No L/R imbalances showing on the powertap app and everything seems fine.

This simply has to be a Wahoo issue.

I just got an email update from them confirming theyā€™ve received my logs and opened an internal ticket. The basic response was keep the device up to date to get the fix when it comes, but they didnā€™t give any timeline. They released a new firmware update today, so Iā€™d expect it could be another month or so before they push out another one.

1 Like

Same here. keeping my fingers crossed. Definitely not staying off the bike because of this, but will miss a valuable tool. I have a significant leg difference, and knowing the balance is valuable for climbing sessions.

New firmware out, but no change in pedal issues.

Anyone have any updates?

I have just come across this and seem to have the same issue. I used to be 48/52 and am now 54/46 so quite a different reading, I was wondering what had happened in the last month or so.

Nope nothing yet

And are you on wahoo also?