Calendar Update: Quickly Estimate Training Stress for Rides with No Power Data!

Now you can quickly estimate your Training Stress Score (TSS)® for your outdoor rides directly from Calendar!

When scrolling through Calendar, the rides you have synced from Strava and Garmin Connect that do not have power data will show an option to "Estimate Stress".

How to Estimate Training Stress

Simply select the “Estimate Stress” option to begin estimating the training stress for your ride. From the “Ride Intensity” drop-down menu in the Past Ride Details box, select an intensity between 1-10, or choose “custom” to define your own training stress.

From the box, you can also edit any other details for that ride, including your ride’s name and FTP, and select if you’d like to include your ride’s TSS in your Training Stress and Personal Records Chart.

Another option for estimating your TSS more quickly: Outside of Calendar, the “Estimate Stress” has also been added to the Past Rides page. This means you no longer have to go into the actual ride details to update your TSS! :slight_smile:

For a full list of Calendar’s latest released features, check out this post.

9 Likes

Awesome update!

Now if only it would assign some pre-defined value to cummutes so I don’t have to do this hundreds of times a year I’ll be a happy bunny!

@chelsea thanks for the update!

My problem:
05%20AM

It is not feasible to manually update 462 workouts, even with this improved workflow.

Would love a bulk update feature!

Unfortunately no. This process should make things much quicker, but the nature of the tool is to be able to estimate how hard each individual ride was for us to estimate TSS. Bulk estimates would be incorrect data in most cases.

For what its worth, my rides with no training stress are mostly titled “AM Commute” and “PM Commute” which are roughly 20-30 minute efforts. I’ve played around and am happy with assigning ALL the rides an RPE of 4, because having 0 TSS is far less accurate than swagging everything at 4. Right now it looks like I didn’t ride in 2016!

Thanks again for posting this update!

2 Likes

Is there a way to estimate TSS for TR workouts completed on TR but without power data? I travel for work and use gym bikes when i can but these never have power data i can link to my iPhone/TR. I can get pretty close with HR data or some like today have a good power data so i know i hit the intervals but can’t see how to estimate the TSS. Am i missing something?

Thanks in advance.

https://www.trainerroad.com/career/getbrem/rides/57385400-tunnabora-5

Unfortunately, there is no way to estimate the TSS of a TR workout completed without power.

In your situation, the best approach would be to add a workout manually to the Calendar and enter the proper TSS to that auxiliary workout. You can then give this workout a duration of 1 minute so that your overall weekly time summaries are accurate. I’ll usually name the added workout “TSS Correction” so that it doesn’t confuse me when I look back a few months later.

I’m sorry for the added complication.

Thanks for the reply Bryce, seems messy for such a great system. Maybe it’s just me but now that those rides don’t have TSS against them they show up on the career page in the box that says i have rides without power data… estimate TSS which you can’t do, is there a way to disable or fix this?

Cheers,

1 Like

If you have rides that you want to exclude from your TSS calculations, you can do this if you click on the ride, then click on the Pencil icon to bring up the Past Ride Details. From there you can exclude the ride from your TSS calculations (along with your PRs if you wish).

1 Like

Thanks @Tucker but it still shows on the career page at the top like below.

Cheers,

Andrew

Ah, I see what you mean!

That banner that says, “You have rides that have no power data…” can be easily taken care of by clicking that small ‘X’ on the right end of that banner. Once that is done, that banner should stay away for you.

Sorry for my confusion. I hope that helps!

2 Likes