Can My Frame be Damaged from Indoor Training?

Ok so My mates who uses their old bike on indoor trainer says im crazy using new bike on kickr core?
Does this matter ive read on the internet this shud not give a problem. Or does it?
They say its bad for the frame that it is not designed for it.

Are you guys using ur best bikes or?

1 Like

I use my old bike. But that has more to do I don’t want to change my bike all the time.

Also was a good thing when I crashed my good bike in half, at least still had my old bike to race

3 Likes

I along with many people I know use their good carbon bikes on the trainer with no issues at all.

I prefer to train on the bike that I use out on the roads.

3 Likes

I use my best bike.

Just don’t put any big sideways torque through it. If you sprint, do it higher cadence lower torque if possible.

If you do want to do low cadence sprints, do them in the saddle - “seated stomps” as they’re sometimes called.

DON’T do high torque sprints from a standing start out of the saddle, or anything else that involves wrenching the frame from side to side.

5 Likes

Road.cc did a bit of investigation on this in 2017

1 Like

Yes, I use my best bike. It’s a Trek Madone 9 Project One. Over 300 TR workouts in the past year without issue. Unless you’re doing something silly (all out standing sprints) I wouldn’t be worried.

3 Likes

I had strength sprints from a near-standing start prescribed on Tuesday in Jane Bald.

Dropped my chain in the middle one, and I noticed today that two teeth on the big ring seem to have been quite badly damaged. Oops - need to replace the chainring now

1 Like

I have my top of the line carbon race bike on my Trainer. I train the way I race. Never an issue, but I also don’t abuse it. I wouldn’t do excessive rocking or hammer sprints out of the saddle viciously swaying the bike. I think just use some common sense and it will be fine.

1 Like

There was maybe something about this a few weeks ago…

I had emailed Specialized about their position regarding warranty should a frame get damaged from use in a trainer assuming it was correctly installed. They were suitably vague in their response, but reading between the lines they wouldn’t replace it under warranty should there be an issue.

I also asked my dealer what his position would be, and they were of the view that you don’t really get frames being broken on trainers, but don’t be doing big out of the saddle sprint efforts.

The Road CC link above shows that some manufacturers are ok with trainer use, some not.

I don’t know anyone that has damaged a frame using it sensibly in a turbo.

The view I’ve formed is that if there is something that may cause my frame to fail, if it does so whilst on a trainer, I might be up for a hard time trying to get it replaced under warranty. Previously I was using my good bike, but I’ve decided not to use anything I can’t afford to replace on the trainer now.

1 Like

Decent frame manufacturers will run their kit through a quality assurance process which essentially involves a machine which simulates the stresses of a rider doing thousands of kms.

Take a look if you can find footage. They are generally static machines which spin the cranks under force for long periods of time and it looks just like someone using a trainer.

I’m not concerned about using my carbon frame and I don’t really do all out sprint efforts indoors anyway.

3 Likes

I guess I also have more piece of mind that I have a MTB on the trainer. Worse case scenario I have to replace the back triangle and not the entire frame.

1 Like

Hi, did ride my Cannondale Carbon Super Six since spring last year with over 5000 km and got no problems. I thinks its important to check if the bike is adjustested right on the trainer. I did run it on a Kickr.

MTBs are in general a bit more sturdy too. They are designed to withstand crashing in the woods. Road bikes not so mutch.

I’m on a carbon MTB, but that’s because I don’t own a road bike. If I did, I would use it on the trainer.

Mmmm, n+1…

3 Likes

I use my Colango C60 Racing on my KICKR 2017… no issues…

Carbon is much tougher than people realize…

Prior to that, had my Colnago Extreme Power (2008) with Zero Issues for well over a year on the KICKR!

1 Like

I’ve seen lots of broken frames from crashes while riding outdoors, but never seen or heard of anyone damaging a frame riding it on the trainer. By that rationale you’d be crazy to ride your nice frame outside. Keep it for trainer only and ride the beater outside.

3 Likes

There is a HUGE difference from crashing (a random and hopefully rare occurrence) vs riding an indoor trainer (a common and weekly event). One is the exception, the other is the rule.

I’d never ride my carbon bike outside, it’s likely to dirty as well :rofl:

3 Likes

Damage from sweat corrosion - absolutely. Damage from a wattage bazooka - highly doubtful.

I use a different bike, but only because I decided a trainer bike was necessary when I was using a wheel-on trainer.

3 Likes

You said that wrong…it’s ‘WATTTTAAAGGGGEEEE BAAAAAAAAZOOOOOOKAAAAA!’ :rofl:

2 Likes

I used to use my tt bike on the turbo, sweat from the forehead dripped onto the front tyres and got into the front hub, which collapsed from corrosion on a tt, keep it covered up

1 Like