Canyon Bikes Experiences?

Here are some pics of the new Canyon Lux…

A quick review and happy to answer questions as they arise.

The ordering process was easy. I DID have to pay sales tax on the bike which I wasn’t expecting and it actually caused me to reconsider but eventually my desire for the bike overwhelmed by concern about paying more than I wanted :smile:

I used their traditional shipping, no expedited shipping or anything. It took a few days for the order to go from placed to shipped but from start to finish it was 5 days (I’m in Texas).

The box the bike came in is really a work of art. Everything is nicely packed in there with lots of instructions, about 50 reflectors on the bike and safety/warning tags and stickers everywhere. That was a bit much but I’m sure the lawyers got involved with that whole process. Unpacking and assembling was a super easy process. No damage everything was wrapped, protected and packed up nice and tight. The UPS guy didn’t even struggle getting it to the door even though the box is super sized.

I didn’t like a couple of things on the bike.

I hated the suspension lock out. It’s was a OneLoc I believe but I couldn’t stand it so I opted for the SRAM Twistloc. Wow what an awesome piece of kit. I know the reviews are not great but I REALLY like the twist to lock vs. using the thumb. I actually saw the idea on Pauline Ferrand Prévot’s bike and had to have it. No regrets.

They also sent me the full carbon KS dropper post which was a nice bonus. But, I hated the KS lever. I never could get the angle right and I didn’t like the cable running over the top of everything. I ran the PNW Loam lever on my other bike and after fighting with the KS for a bunch of rides and a race I decided it had to go. The Loam lever is 1) way easier to depress and 2) in a much better location. Also the KS lever it was hard to drop things “just a little” it seemed like it was all the way up or down. It doesn’t actually work that way but the lever and travel distance are both small so small adjustments during a race were basically impossible so I just left the seat up the whole race.

The suspension is definitely the best I have ridden. I’m not a suspension guru but that rear shock is amazing. It seems to travel a lot when you need it and not at all when you don’t. I don’t feel like I really need to lock the bike out unless I’m smashing out of the saddle on pavement. Otherwise it’s just nice and stiff and ready to mash. But when it gets choppy the travel is there, I really love it.

The geometry and head angle make the bike insanely quick. I would say it’s twitchy but not in a negative way. It is like an arrow, it goes where you point it and it goes fast. For tight switchback turns it’s the best I have ridden. Every bike I have ridden on a particular piece of local trail wanders out of one very off camber switchback. Regardless of how many times I’ve ridden that turn and how many different ways I’ve ridden it I end up wandering out of the perfect line. This bike just rails this corner like no other. It’s honestly like a digital camera, point and shoot!

The pics above show the bike fully loaded and ready to race. Tubeless, Quarq XX1, XTR pedals, cages, multi tool and head unit attached. I think it was around 22 lbs before I added those accessories. I run an S-Works Toupe’ saddle so not sure if that’s heavier or lighter than what came on it but not a consideration for me either way.

The last thing I will say, I have ridden and raced a lot of mountain bikes and to me I thought they were all race bikes. Mainly because I was racing them. This bike however, this bike KNOWS it’s a race bike. It comes with a 34 front chainring right out of the box and is truly the most race ready bike I’ve had the pleasure to ride.

It’s much faster than me and will give me more than enough bike to grow into for the foreseeable future.

Definitely a big thumbs up to Canyon for the ordering process, packing process and mostly the design on one bad ass bike.

7 Likes