Canyon Bikes Experiences?

This is all super helpful dialogue, I appreciate the comments so far!

1 Like

Yep, would agree with this. I think the headset on my Ultimate CF is some proprietary Acros set-up. I think Giant do an “oversized” stem too, so at least there’s a little cross-play now.

3 Likes

Thanks for the thread. I’m considering direct-to-consumer for all of my future major gear purchases, specifically Flo wheels and Canyon.

I read a lot of comments about “fit”, but when I explore the website, I see their table so you know how to select the right size frame for you. Is there more to “fit” when you actually place the order? Do you enter measurements and the feedback adjustments to stem/stack, seatpost, etc? Canyon is about an hour from me in Carlsbad, so I’m wondering if I can just go up to the “showroom” and actually get a proper fit. If not, I think I’d want a pro fit for the first time and make adjustments myself over time.

If I was moving on this stuff today, I’d either go Aeroroad Disc Di2 (the $5k one) or just the frame and build it up myself with a mechanical groupset. Looking at the DT Swiss wheels that come with it, I’m not sure I’d even want or need to get Flo wheels with the Aeroroad, but maybe a disc or deeper dish for the TT bike so I can ditch the 13-year-old Zipp606 tubulars that are an expensive pain in my ass.

1 Like

I have an inflite as my winter bike. Fantastic machine, Ultegra with hydraulic disc brakes- and for a great price.

I love the AeroRoad and their TT bike, but would I go through the pure aggro involved to buy another Canyon? Their customer service appears to be based on one of the moons of Jupiter, such was the lag in getting back to me. I ordered the bike. They took my payment. Then nothing. Not a blooming dicky bird. I chased and chased and eventually they bothered to reply, with a cock and bull story re delivery. Repeat x3.

I needed a longer stem. No go. I had to wait until the bike arrived to take the supplied stem off and post it to Germany. Then they need me another. Eventually. Oh, and the frame was slightly scratched when it arrived. Then the wedge headset thingy failed. Another wait for a part. All of this was like root canal surgery - painful and long drawn out.

Would I have another? If I could drive somewhere in the UK and pick up an AeroRoad with the correct stem size etc., then yes. The bikes are awesome. But all the getting messed about? Less so …

1 Like

I will echo everyone’s comments so far…experience has been fantastic. I’ve had my Endurace for a little over a year with absolutely zero issues. Customer service during the purchase was great. I was a little unsure on sizing, specifically I was a little nervous to pull the trigger on the Medium that they recommended vs. always buying Large frames. It is the best fitting bike I have owned. Inventory was a little limited, and I opted for a lower price point and upgraded to i9.45 wheels afterwards.

3 Likes

One Ultimate and two Spectrals here - best value for money and customer support is great! I’m not saying that because I’m friends with the guy who claims he invented/pushed their consumer direct model :wink:

1 Like

My friend got fit in the showroom. If it’s that close seems totally worth going in!

My wife has an Ultimate CF SLX. I think it’s an awesome bike, though it’s a 3XS so I can’t really ride it. The purchase experience was super easy, but the front derailleur was out-of-whack from the get-go. LBS charged me like $6 to adjust it. Three other friends have Ultimates and the only complaints I’ve heard is about Etap, which isn’t a Canyon-specific issue.

3 Likes

I got the Ultimate SLX a few years ago and love it. The online sizing questionnaire worked and the bike fit seems fine. It came well packaged. Love the bike. Only downside is that I had to wait ages for delivery - maybe they have sorted the leadtimes now. It was well worth the wait anyway.

2 Likes

What the hell is up with their inventory though!? (USA) I have been low-key peeking at an aeroad for 6-12 months and not ONCE have they had a disc brake version available in my size. Pretty ridiculous.

1 Like

On a side note, I just got an email for free shipping from Canyon USA. I don’t think there is a code required.

1 Like

Canyon owner in Australia here, I’ve been very happy with both the bike (Ultimate CF SLX) and customer service. For ref I’m also ~6ft and ride a medium.

When I installed the Garmin mount I managed to pull out one of the the threaded inserts which go under the bars. Whether it was user error or a fault I’m not sure (though its an awful design) but after contacting Support they swapped it out as a warranty item.

I’ve been having problems with the ETap rear mech not shifting and each time I’ve couriered the mech back to Melbourne and Canyon have swapped it out with SRAM inside a few days. (Now onto mech 3 so hopefully this one is a keeper). As someone above said, not a Canyon issue though maybe i’ll get a free upgrade to Red AXS eventually :smiley:

picked up an aeroad last summer and love it. It’s my second bike and I hadn’t dialed in my preferred fit so I was a bit apprehensive of ordering the canyon without getting a chance to try it out, but it was the bike I wanted, so I trusted their fit process and did all the measurements and it’s been great. If you have more info on your fit, like if you want a shorter top tube and longer stem, I’ve heard they’re accommodating.

I’ve heard a lot of people (especially on the reddit post) saying they’ve had problems with their bikes, and if it’s a warranty fix only canyon will fix it, so ymmv. I’ve had plenty of problems with the bike but none related to Canyon stuff :wink: .

I’d also echo the people saying you might want to wait for the 2020 versions, but at least the versions now are running the newer shimano / sram components so if you wanted to order now you’d not be missing out that much.

I recieved a Speedmax a few weeks ago and the bike is amazing and would highly recommend.

There was some frustration that when the bike was first delivered there was a chip in the frame, so I had to return it and wait for it to come back in stock again before a replacement was sent. It was frustrating to have to wait, but end of the day I’m delighted to have been patient and it’s been worth the wait.

1 Like

I would call up the shop and ask before I would drive out there.

I have a 2018 Ultimate CF SLX which I love, however it’s currently in repair due to the rivets which hold the front mech mount on cracking the carbon.

The repair people said that they’ve seen enough Canyons come through them with this issue that they were unwilling to warrant the repair, as they believe it to be a design flaw.

They’re still fixing it obviously- cost around £400.

Worth noting I think

2 Likes

Huh, I might be misreading it. A design flaw doesn’t fall under the warranty?
Or is this a 3rd party warranty instead of the Canyon warranty?

I’m not how legally you would stand with that (if it’s 3rd party) we’ve taken your money to insure the bike, but we have seen to many of them, so your insurance is invalid. If it’s Canyon, and it’s a design flaw … not fit for purpose

3rd party repair.

It’s my only bike so I couldn’t tolerate the 8-12 week wait if it went back to Canyon.

By warrant the repair they mean they would happily put it back to how it was, but can’t guarantee the same thing won’t happen again.

As others have said look closely at the geometry charts and/or the their online sizing chart. Im 5’8" and I am riding an XS

I am looking at a Canyon and I’m 5’8 I tested rode a Ultimate XS and found it perfect, so perfect that I went and got a 90mm stem for my bike.

Im getting a new bike next year, it will be a Canyon. Just debating ultimate or Aeroad.

1 Like