Cape Epic, DOMS, Strategy with Sofía Gomez Villafañe – Ask a Cycling Coach 209

Special guest and 4x Argentine National Champion Sofía Gomez Villafañe of the Stans Pivot Pro Team joins us for a preview of Nate & Sofía’s Cape Epic plans, a deep dive into DOMS, race strategy and more! Tune in live at 8:00am Pacific!

Youtube Live Video:

Topics covered in this episode:

Subscribe to the Podcast

Listen to previous episodes on SoundCloud

Episode Notes:

Upregulated glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor through cyclooxygenase-2 activation in the muscle is required for mechanical hyperalgesia after exercise in rats
Decreased nerve growth factor upregulation is a mechanism for reduced mechanical hyperalgesia after the second bout of exercise in rats
Bradykinin and nerve growth factor play pivotal roles in muscular mechanical hyperalgesia after exercise (delayed-onset muscle soreness)
Delayed onset muscle soreness: Involvement of neurotrophic factors

1 Like

Good timing with everybody attempting Chad’s strength training guide lately :wink:

1 Like

I’m confused… it says live at 8 am pacific… that’s 10 am central, and i read the time currently as 12:10 central. I was keeping an eye on youtube all morning and did not see anything there…
Is the podcast over or has it not even started?

The YouTube stream often has issues and you have to go to Facebook in those instances to see the live stream.

@isaac124 If you didn’t head over to Facebook to watch the livestream, everything is now fixed with YouTube so you can watch it here any time you would like!

Sorry for the issues!

1 Like

Feedback on this episode: I found the deep dive on DOMS to be be very confusing and painful to the ears. I suggest topics like this are tackled as a separate episode rather than include in the regular podcast where I’m trying to consolidate my general knowledge on training.

Loving the Cape Epic chat

1 Like

Good news is that @Nate_Pearson has 700 days of carb loading ahead of him before cape epic. Think that will be enough?

6 Likes

Great episode, loved the banter with Sofia, she was excellent.

1 Like

Oh, I really enjoy the deep-dive, I learnt a great deal that I would never have known about, or discovered on my own. I was definitely harboring the simplistic knowledge of lactate and DOMs and now if I get that feeling after a big event, or hard training-- I know more about what’s going on in my body, which I really like.

We all benefit from this wonderful podcast, the production quality sets the bar for any other weekly podcast out there, and with the live/visual recording, I would honestly be happy pay to see on actual TV. We get several hours of research into interesting and complex questions all condensed into a great mixture of overview and detail- all delivered by engaged and interested presenters, and all for free! You can literally see Chad light up when he starts working through a subject area that’s been a target of his interest recently, and I think it’s a wonderful resource.

If a particular section of the podcast doesn’t interest you one week, just skip it-- and think about the times a deep dive has interested you, but perhaps might not have been of interest to another person. I think overall, as a community we’re all rewarded for their efforts.

So, in short-- please don’t change Ask a Cycling Coach!

4 Likes

It was mentioned in the podcast that Lee McCormack will be coming to Reno. Is that for a private Trainer Road class or will he have classes available for the general public? When will he be in the area? I live on the other side of the “hills” and would love the opportunity for a class with him. Thanks.

1 Like

This is not necessarily linked, but Lee has a public schedule of his currently scheduled classes, at various locations.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply…but it doesn’t show anything in the Reno/Tahoe area, which is why I was asking the original question.

This is a private clinic, but we’d encourage you to reach out to Lee to see if you can schedule a clinic with him at some point after our private clinic :+1:.

Thanks!:+1:

Hey Guys and Gals - thanks for all the great work.

Just a bit of feedback (or a lot of feedback now that I read it back) regarding your Cape Epic discussion:
First of all good luck to @Nate_Pearson, @chad and all the others who are lucky enough to get entries to the race.

I lived in the Cape Epic’s backyard for the last 10 years. While never lucky enough to participate, I have ridden a lot of the trails used and been involved in the race (supporting, photographing, seconding etc ) to various degrees over these year. I now live in Boulder Colorado, but think I can give some good info.

The Route: This route changes every year. That said, the prologue is generally either at the University of Cape Town or the Meerendal Wine farm. The finish is at the Val de Vie resort - I think they have a 5 year deal to host the final stage, so it will be the same for 2021.
While the organizers used to do their very best not to re-use routes year to year, since the Iron Man group took over a couple years back, we are seeing them re-use a lot of the course. I guess this just makes organisation easier and saves some money. Point being, you may be able to pre-ride a handful of sections but it will be a guessing game until the actual course is announced - usually about 6 months out from the start of the race. (For example the 2020 route will be announce in September 2019).

Technical - or not? All depends on your skill level. But on the whole, it is not a super technical course. But don’t let that fool you. There will be sections that will break you and/or your bike if you don’t treat them with respect.
In terms of terrain you will cover everything from jeep track, portage, endless super steep climbs, fun descents, some world class single track and @Nates favorite bench cut tracks :slight_smile: Bottom line - while not the most technical course, you will need to be able to ride everything from hard pack single track to beach sand to loose tennis ball size rocks…

Weather: The race takes place at the end of the South African summer / beginning of Fall. That means you will experience hot summer days (95 -100 degrees) but also means you are entering the rainy season in Cape Town. Plan for at least one cold, wet, muddy day. And when I say cold, I mean hypothermic cold. You could spend 5 hours in pouring rain, with an angry south wester blowing.
On the whole, concentrate on your heat training. On averages, the heat is the one aspect that takes the biggest toll on Northern Hemisphere visitors coming out of cold winters.

Accommodation: It sounds like you have this in hand, what with organizing non-camping facilities. Very few (if any) of the guys racing at the pointy end of the race stay in the tents. Also, staying outside of the race village will allow you to control your nutrition to a much greater degree. While the food in the village is adequate, there is a lot of room for improvement.

Mechanic and Mechanicals: Book an mechanical package!! You finish the day, dump your bike with the Mac and you don’t have to worry about it until the next day. If the weather is hot, the fine dust will kill your drive train. If it is rainy, the mud will kill your drive train. You will be doing river crossings then going into soft river bed sand - which will kill you drive train… You get the picture - get a mechanics package!
In terms of mechanicals, it’s not a case of ‘if’ but ‘when’. Be proficient at plugging punctures, fixing sidewall cuts and mending broken chains. Don’t skimp on tires. Go for something bullet proof. Ride what Team Bulls ride. Don’t ride what team Specialized ride. :wink:

When to Go: I can’t answer for you. But if I had an open diary and unlimited check book this is what I would do:
There is a 5 day road stage race about 12 days before the Epic. A number of the Epic contenders come out and do this race to get heat acclimatized. It is also a pretty good event with some great riding. For reference, the 2020 schedule is 2-6 March with Epic being 15-22 March. https://tourofgoodhope.co.za/
Regardless of whether you want to race or ride it, make sure you do the Cape Town Cycle tour. It is usually the Sunday before the start of the Epic i.e. the 2nd Sunday of March. It is a beautiful ride with full road closures. Sam Gaze won this year’s event - so don’t think it’s just for roadies. https://www.capetowncycletour.com/
Regardless of when you end up going, there are always course recon group rides happening. I’m sure you will be able to find a group - or I can hook you up.

I can go on and on - if you have any specific questions send me a message. Or if there are any general questions, just reply to this post and I’ll respond.

The Epic is a great event and certainly a challenge. It certainly gets all the limelight and media attention. My knowledge on USA events is very limited, but I would liken it to Leadville - you tell any non-mountain biker that you ride MTB and they will probably ask you if you have done Leadville. Same goes for Epic (certainly in South Africa anyway).
All that said, if you or anyone else reading this want to spend probably the best 9 days on a mountain bike in South Africa then look into https://www.joberg2c.co.za/. I’m not going to divert this thread, but if this appeals to anyone, I will gladly organise a group trip - great excuse to go back !

Good Luck with the training and planning!

I’ll leave you with this pic I took a few years back - Sauser putting his partner into the Hurt Box up a climb.

15 Likes

Thank you!!!