Coach Chad’s Hydration

I’m new to TR and I’m catching up on all the podcasts. Many times @chad mentions how he’s recently nailed hydration and that plain water isn’t enough, that he adds sodium or glucose to help the water stick. My question is, are we talking a pinch of table salt and a pinch of sugar or something more elaborate?

Ask him :smiley: @chad

Hey @gregbuk. It can actually be just that simple. Typically, we’re talking about something more elaborate like Skratch or Osmo or something similar, but Stacy Sims describes here homemade hydration fluid as nothing more than “a pinch of salt and a dash of maple syrup” added to her water bottle which she further clarifies as being 1/16th tsp salt and 1 tsp maple syrup per 20oz water. Just a little of both make water more closely resemble our body water (since no pure water exists inside our bodies) and vastly enhances absorption.

It’s pretty well known that ‘off the shelf’ sports drinks don’t contain enough sodium for the needs of most endurance athletes.
There are quite a few companies that have started offering sweat testing now so that you can identify and dial in your exact requirements. One company over here in the UK is Precision Hydration - a really useful website with loads of good information.
You can make your own mix, but it will always be hit and miss compared to knowing the data…

I was under the impression that @chad’s hydration consisted of IPAs.

NUUN, the easiest way to roll…not only do they have the electrolytes you need, 100 calories per tablet and they taste good too. They also have NUUN performance for workouts over 90 minutes along with options with caffeine as well as NUUN immunity .

I can tell you first hand the water alone can end up with really bad consequences, drinking water alone between perspiration and water flushing your system of other electrolytes can have a catastrophic ending. Once your sodium levels drop to bad levels you can easily slip into a coma and die, regardless of how much water you drink, hyponatremia is a bad way to lose a friend.