Coffee recomendations

I am a fellow coffee aficionado (geek) and have been roasting for a few years in a Behmor 1600+ but a few months ago I was able to my hands on an Aillio Bullet R1.5 which I’m having a blast with. Currently, I only roast for myself and my wife but might consider taking orders from my racing buddies for some “crit fuel”. I source most of my green coffee from GreenCoffeeBuyingClub.com and a little from SweetMarias.com

I prepare my coffee a variety of ways in the morning depending on my mood for the day. Then I’ll often fire up the Gaggia for a double shot prior to an afternoon workout. I can’t even travel without my “kit”.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuOtGjaHCsL/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

4 Likes

I like Peet’s Major Dickason’s Blend brewed a mug at a time in an AeroPress coffee maker. The AeroPress is cheap, easy to clean, minimal trash. The Peet’s is easy to find pretty much anywhere, and reasonably priced. A 20 oz. bag lasts me about two weeks. Also had good luck with Starbucks Espresso Roast in the same preparation. You can get a lot fancier and spend a lot more, but it won’t be much better.

2 Likes

haha I still have my Behmor (since upgraded it to the +)
that Aillio looks AWESOME… 1.5kg capacity?

I was having a lot of issues with air flow in the behmor and ending up with a distinctive “baked” flavour.
did you do any mods to your Behmor?

I really need to get my office rancillio silvia fixed, slight elect problem leading to shorting. limits my office coffee to aeropress. only cause I dont class the Aldi coffee pods as coffee.

For US…

I’m trying a new route of subscription based coffee through www.drinktrade.com

I had been using a “local” roaster that offered free shipping, however some of the Columbian beans from a certain farm have been out for some time. I just grew tired of the other roasts (though still quality). I simply wanted to try something new.

You can try something different — coffee in a bar:
https://coffeepixels.com/

Just looked them up and gonna order some but the website seems to be playing up.

Origin Coffee. Can’t beat it.

1 Like

Have to plug my local roaster here. Their varieties of Ethiopia are especially wonderful.

1 Like

John,
After MANY years of trying MANY different coffee makers, I have simply gone to using a french press. I measure my 50 grams coffee, heat water to 200 (F), let steep for 4 minutes, and have consistently good coffee every time.

3 Likes

You had to have had Ranger coffee, if you were in the Army

3 Likes

I have to give a shout out to Onyx Coffee Lab out of Northwest, Arkansas. They deliver some of the freshest beans worldwide and have some of the best sourcing methods. Their Ethiopian and Colombian sources are magic. Beans from Onyx with an Aeropress are great to take on the road. A morning Chemex brew is life changing.

Onyx Coffee Lab

If you’re in Northwest Arkansas for mountain biking or their hosting of Cyclocross World Championships then visit Onyx in person.

Another big supporter of cycling is Intelligentsia. So I always recommend them as well.

2 Likes

I have a roaster/coffee place in my area that roast their own beans and they have quite the delightful roast. I’ve gotten a lot of people to try it without their usual sugar/cream and they haven’t regretted it!

look up back road coffee roasters…they’ve come up with a new roast recently that i also wanna try

1 Like

I purchased my Behmor as a plus model and didn’t add any additional temperature controls or monitoring to it. The little vent flapper on the lower side of back wall went AWOL and I just covered it with aluminum foil. I got a lot of really good roasts out of it earlier in it’s life but they tended to decline over time. I believe the elements are no longer putting out the same intensity and my roasts were taking much longer which made it hard to get the development time ratio in target resulting in baked coffee.

The Aillio Bullet is a 1Kg model that can easily get a pound of coffee to first crack in 8 minutes. I haven’t yet completed larger roasts since I’m a follower of the “rule of 15”. (green coffee will keep 15 months, roasted coffee is fresh for 15 days, ground coffee loses it’s characteristics after 15 minutes). I’m looking forward to trying larger batches once the race season starts and I can more easily give away coffee to my teammates on the weekends.

2 Likes

yup. ranger coffee, ranger pudding, etc etc

2 Likes

Philz Coffee is one of the very best things in this world :slight_smile:

1 Like

Based on my trip to SF, I have to agree. La Colombe is good to if you’re in the US

Phil Gaimon’s favourite is illy - that stuff is everywhere in the UK already?

May I suggest that people add (a) region (from ordering perspective) and (b) type of of coffee-making (espresso,filter,aeropress,french press etc.) to their coffee recommendation. It will make it much more helpful…

2 Likes

I prefer a mug of coffee myself, American thing, I guess. Express is delicious but after1 or 2 swallows it’s gone.
I also prefer a bit darker roast and something with a little bit of character. A Colombian medium roast may be smooth, but doesn’t make me happy enough.
One of my favorites is roasted in small patches as a medium dark roast ( not burned) is from the Chautauqua ,NY area. The purveyor is Stedman’s Corner Coffee and my favorite is Chautauqua Blend. I usually make it in a drip coffee maker rather than a press. Oh, and another point. The water makes a difference. When I make in in Chautauqua, it doesn’t taste exactly the same as if I prepare it in Cleveland or Florida.
I’ll also put in a vote for Peet’ s Major Dickason’s blend.

1 Like

Illy is one of the worlds biggest coffee roasters

Mega Structures did an episode on their factory… MASIVE

1 Like