Continental goes tubeless with their new GP 5000!

They said they’d never do a road tubeless, but I guess they realized they needed to get with the times:

2 Likes

They’ve stopped making the 4000 so watch for clearance sales!

1 Like

Sweet, another tubeless tire to try! :smile:

Like many, I imagine, I’ve been a GP4000 user for awhile and also been intrigued to go road tubeless. These are interesting to me, but I wonder the best way to determine the likelihood that a larger size will fit my frame. I’ve always been running 23mm.

I have a Felt B16 for Tri and wonder if a 25mm would fit. Obviously buying some and trying them out is the most certain, but are there any good sites to estimate the mounted width and height of the tire on a common rim (Velocity A23, for example).

I would upgrade my Road bike to 25 and keep the Tri on 23, but I still share an old PowerTap wheel between bikes and prefer not to swap tires so often.

I hope this isn’t too off-topic.

The 25mm GP4KSII measure out to about 28mm on both my Bontrager and ENVE wheels.

My chainstay opening is about 36mm:

The ETRTO standard EN14781 calls for 4mm of clearance between tire and chainstay. So in my case, with a 36mm chainstay clearance, a 28mm inflated tire has 4mm clearance on each side (4 + 28 + 4 = 36mm).

I have ridden the GP4000S in 25mm for a long time. Mine are currently mounted to a DT Swiss RR1.1 Rim and they spec out at EXACTLY 25mm.

The rim is old school, (Trainer Mule now) and the dimensions are 14mm inner width, 19mm outer width. On that old Cervelo the problem wasnt width, but height. The diameter on such a narrow rim was larger, and as such the tire would rub against the (absurdly close) brake bridge on the back. I took care of it with a file, and all is good, though I’m not recommending that method.

I will absolutely go with tubeless 5000’s on my new road bike.

1 Like

First impressions on mounting the GP5000.
The 5000 feels more supple when unfolding and refolding than the 4000.
My 28c 5000 weighs 237g versus 257g for a worn 4000 it replaced.
I mounted the 28C on my Hed Jet 6 Plus w latex tube. The thumb pressure to get the last bit of tire over rim was significatly less than with the 4000, almost easy. With calipers the 5000 is measuring smaller than the GP 4000 28c it replaced, 30mm vs 32.4mm. We’ll see how much it stretches.
Visually in the frame, a 2016 Cannondale EVO HM, the new tire and wheel combo has definitely more brake and bridge clearance than the old 4000. I welcome the additional clearance.
Is it possible that the 5000’s will measure truer to the listed size than the 4000’s?

This may be sacrilegeous to post this here but Cycling Tips interviewed Continental at their Canary Island reveal… :upside_down_face: I found it interesting :smile:

Anyone got some time on the GP 5000 TLs yet? I’m thinking about replacing my Hutchinson’s Sector 28s with the 28c version of the GP 5000s.

I’m interested in what kind of set up experience people have had, good/bad/same old same old. The Sectors have always been ridiculously easy to mount on my Belgium+ rims, like track pump with no soapy water easy. Curious if I should expect more trouble with the Contis.

Also interested in how wide the tires are measuring for most folks with reasonably wide internal rim widths (18-20mm).

Anybody got some data points to share?

Here ya go:

1 Like

I preordered the 5000’s in TL and waiting for them. I was hoping to have them mounted for a trip to Maui next week but it looks like they won’t ship until later in January. I’ll probably hold off mounting them until the spring then but the bicyclerollingresistance.com findings looks really positive.

Be interested if Nate and Jonathan switch to these as well.

I have the non-TL versions, and am really liking these tires. So far I have 379KM on 25mm, with no problems. They seem to roll faster / corner better than the 400GPsIIs, but that is totally subjective :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just setup the 5000 TLs on my wheels this morning and am letting the sealant settle in - they were hard to get onto the rim but seated very easily once I got them on there. Haven’t ridden them yet as I’m letting them sit for a while to make sure they are holding air but from an installation hassle the tires didn’t seem too bad

3 Likes

Here’s the gp5000 TL in 25c mounted on Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3. 19.5mm internal, 27mm outer. Mounting wasn’t too bad, used a lever on the last bit. Inflated with a floor pump no problem. Might switch to the 28’s instead.

5 Likes

and inflated to what PSI? Inflated the tire measures 25.76mm?!

That’s inflated to 70 psi

1 Like

thanks! Looks like I’m going to give the 28c a try once they are in stock.

I understand they are having production issues with the 32mm tubless… UK distributors have moved the delivery date twice based on feedback from a Continental. Now looking at early February delivery, perhaps they launched the full range to early?

I’ve done a few miles on 25C 5000 TLs - very subjective but they feel great

1 Like

Tubeless or tubed?