Cooking Sweet Potatoes

Chop into 2cm cubes, boil, chuck in some butter & garlic, maybe some cream if you’re that way inclined, mash away and there you have the best mashed potatoes you’ll ever eat.

I cooked them in my (my wife’s) Instapot! They WERE SPECTACULAR - and I have no ability to cook. I believe the time was 20 minutes. They came out incredibly moist - a little butter and cinnamon…Nature’s candy!

I do something similar. I’ll sauté the cubed sweet potato until there’s a little colour on the outside, then simmer in 300ml of water for ~15mins. Works nicely with some chorizo and then your favourite greens.

1 Like

Do you bag them or just put them in the water?

In a bag with a dash of salt, pepper and a little bit of olive oil. I meal prep about four of them to start the week, keep them in the fridge and then top them with different things each day (beans, salsa, quinoa).

Don’t microwave anything. Throw the microwave away.

1 Like

Cook them on the grill if you have one. I slice them about 1/2 inch thick. Separately, I mix together olive oil, vanilla, little bit of salt, cinnamon and honey…maybe throw in some balsamic in on occasion. Then i mix the sliced sweet potatoes w/ the concoction, wrap all of it together in aluminum foil and cook on the grill for about 10-15 mins (depends on the thickness of the slice). Usually i’ll flip them once as well.

Sweet Potato Recipe Outside Online

I’ve made the first recipe a few times put granola and fruit in mine. I usually make 4 sweet potatoes worth and keep it in the fridge then eat it cold. I don’t cut the sweet potatoes up, I just peel and boil till soft, chopping is a wasted step.

2 Likes

We do this often too! Skin on, cooked on parchment paper.

They season really well with N’Orleans or some sort of smoked flavoring. Love smoked paprika, and garlic on them!

I bake them on the grill, let them cool, put them in a sealed container in the fridge and then put a chunk into my smoothies.

To expand on this, there’s an enzyme in the raw sweet potato that converts its complex starch into simpler carbs, but it only operates at middling-temperatures, say 130-160F. Above 160F or so the enzyme degrades and won’t work anymore. So basically the faster /hotter you cook it, the less conversion there will be (ie, less sweetness). Microwave, boiling, and steaming/pressure-cooking will minimize it. Slower methods like baking or sous-vide provide a lot of time for the enzyme to work and give amazingly sweet flavor. You can get nice soft & moist sweet potato any of these ways, it just depends what you’re trying to get out of it.

1 Like

Are people saying they eat the skin of the sweet potato? I’ve never seen this before. Always just assumed you don’t eat it since no one around me ever did.

For the record, I stab and then nuke mine.

1 Like

I eat the skin, I like it.

2 Likes

I have to try this!

I have definitely noticed this when comparing microwave vs baking. Eating a baked sweet potato is so good I add nothing to it.

2 Likes

I’m probably just a weirdo, but I occasionally eat them raw and whole… like a carrot or apple. Usually i planned to pop it in the microwave, but was on the go or didn’t have time. Not as sweet obviously, but crisp and crunchy.

1 Like

Pre-cut the potatoes into quarter inch cubes. Splash some olive oil onto non-stick pan and then sear the sweeties (with salt and pepper) on medium-high heat. This is key - covered with a lid so they also get ‘baked’ at the same time!

Add in cubed peppers, mushroom and onions after about 4 minutes and toss the mixture. Toss a couple more times and pull off the heat at the 10 minute mark (or when the potatoes are soft and no longer firm.) I might remove the lid and boil down any excess water that sweat from the veggies for another minute. Some times I’ll add garlic or some salmon and almost always top it with an eggs and some salsa.

My little life hack is to pre-cut all these veggies and store them in individualized old Talenti gelato containers. All the ingredients will stay good for at least a week in the fridge and allow me to make a high quality meal in 10 minutes.

1 Like

I bake mine together with normal potatoes, as well as pumpkin at 165C for 45 minutes.
Put some olive oil, Tuscan seasoning and a bit of maple syrup before hand.

1 Like

I’ve been steaming them recently. I found this to be the easiest way to get a weeks worth of potatoes done with minimal time and cleanup.

I just toss about 7 potatoes in a pot and 2-3cups of water and set it on medium for 45-55min. Remove the lid and let them cool off on their own. The purple japanese yams are my favorite.

dont own a microwave,
I genreally slice them in to 1cm thick disks and steam them in the top of the rice cooker as I’m cooking my rice. (my new rice cooker has a steam trey… GENIUS)

Otherwise, oven baked with salt pepper and olive oil (yes im a wog) crispy on the outside, and soft and fluffy on the inside.

Does everyone else get the different varieties of sweet potatoes?
Standard orange ones
Purple on the out side white on the inside (almost chestnut-y in flavour)
Or the white on the out side and purple on the inside (Really funky)

3 Likes