CX Dismounts / Remounts

I’ve got my first CX race next weekend and the one thing that I’m most apprehensive about is the dismount/remount bit. Does anyone know of any good self-coaching resources (YouTube vids etc.)?

1 Like

Sure GCN has some CX basic videos, I think Cody Kaiser has videos too.

What I did when racing at first was race with running shoes and flat pedals, even though I had been riding clipless for years, figured I’d nail the technique in race scenarios without risking doing something dumb, but if you practice enough beforehand this should be unnecessary!

1 Like

Make yourself some barriers out of PVC or wood (if you’re ambitious) and practice, practice, practice.

Here’s a pic of mine for reference:

IMG_1770

Like @hubcyclist suggests, check out GCN or Cody’s YouTube channels. It may help to watch some pro’s to see how they do it during a race (as long as they aren’t hopping them–that’s a whole other skill set).

I’m no expert, but the two biggest aspects I focus on are dismounting at the right spot ahead of the barriers so that I have enough time to get my hand positions correct, lifting the bike high, and, after hopping over the barriers, getting back on the bike and moving again as efficiently as possible. It’s easier when practicing. Not so much during a race when the pressure is on.

Good luck and have fun! #cxishere!!!

Yeah there’s tonnes on youtube. I wouldn’t say any are particularly better or worse. Just watch a few and find one that “clicks” with you.

I will say, however, that in my experience, dismounts and remounts make up a very very small part of the race. What takes up a much larger part is cornering. So, if it were me, I’d focus more on the stuff that’s going to give me the best advantage for the time spent practicing it.

Cyclocross is tonnes of fun so have a great race and remember to smile!

2 Likes

Start with old shoes for all things training because this will wear them out.

I do walking pace remounts until I can fly on the bike. You’ll have to do it 1,000 times before you can do it without thought, after you’ve lost your mind.

Don’t start with barriers. Start with just getting off and on your bike, quickly. Do it at walking speed at first. Practise getting off while coasting. For getting on, you can either hop on, or put a foot on the pedal (don’t clip in, use the middle of your foot), and scoot, then swing the other leg over. To be honest, when its muddy and you’re tired, even just getting on your bike the normal way won’t slow you down that much.

The best way to learn is to have someone teach you in person. See if there is a local cross class somewhere, you could even ask at the race if anyone knows of one.

Don’t stress it, have fun at the race!

1 Like

Lots of people have already mentioned GCN, but this video in particular is great because it’s teaching a pretty awkward, straight-up roadie with low handling skills (just like me, except I’m not a world champion!). It seems like it’s an easy thing to explain and demonstrate, and a harder thing to teach a real person who’s struggling.

I like to approach my bike like one might approach a skittish horse: slowly, carefully, and with respect

1 Like

There are a couple of quite old videos on YouTube with Lars van der Haar.

Gives you a good impression of just how insanely quick Pro riders are at running the barriers.

Comments are quite funny too.

Mike

These videos are classic. Informative, yet subliminally obscene.

2 Likes