Saris H3 Discussion/Issues

So, I have a question for all H3 owners! I have an H3 in the box sitting on my porch just delivered by UPS. Looked like a reasonable choice at the time. Should I send it back, or use it? There is so much disparity on the H3 vs a Tacx Neo2T, I’m now doubting my decision. Problem I see is that the issue doesn’t show up until you’re out of the return time window. Is there indeed a fundamental design flaw or not?

There are a lot of us out there with no issues on our H3s. You will find several of us commenting in this thread. Personally I would keep it, Saris has shown to have really good customer service for those who have had issues.

3 Likes

Love my H3. Riding it right now doing Fletcher.

Saris customer service was awesome when had a small issue. I decided to get a Saris MP1 to pair with my H3.

3 Likes

Bought an H3 late last year through REI and absolutely love it. I have used it through a mid volume build plan and I haven not experienced any problems or any unusual noises.

2 Likes

Agree same here, I’m relatively big guy 90ish kg and can put decent wattage through the trainer. So far 0 issues.

3 Likes

As I stated earlier in the thread - mine made a slight squeak on the first pedal stroke the first two rides. It has been flawless ever since. Got mine in November. I would buy it again and have recommended it to others. I’m getting ready to order another for my wife.

AJ

4 Likes

I’ve got about 90 hours on my H3 since Christmas, no issues so far. I do get the sort of scraping noise when I first start pedaling, or if I’m really mashing the pedals for a few seconds, but 99.999% of my riding isn’t like that, just typical trainer road workouts, so works for me.
If you are a Zwifter that likes to sprint all out over and over, maybe this trainer isn’t for you.

I’m genuinely glad to see people without issues. Maybe I’ll be back for an H4

Good luck with whatever trainer you replace the H3 with.

Thanks! I may honestly just wait for whatever will come out in 2020. Just not sure if the teething pains will be sorted by the time I need it

Do you have any videos of the noises?

What are you buying instead.

I have an H3 and I’m curious

Did you manage to sort the issue out only I’ve bought the H3 and three rides on it and when I load the pedals hard there’s a screeching noise coming from around the cassette area .
I’ve changed cassettes bikes ect ect still the same not even a week old
Not impressed.

I had this the first few times I rode mine, but after a few weeks couldn’t get it to make that noise. I do mostly steady state work and not sprints, but even when I’ve tried to reproduce this now I can’t. It may well go away after a bit.

I swapped my faulty H3 for a new one. It had exactly the same problem!

Gave up, got my money back and went for a Kickr, which has been absolutely brilliant.

If you get an H3 without the noise issue, then I think they are generally very good machines, especially in Erg mode. However, the Kickr is better overall in my opinion.

I am a bit surprised/concerned that new machines are still being sold with the same issue, 5 months down the line. If you decide to swap yours for a new one, then I would insist on getting one with a recent serial number.

Serial numbers don’t matter, I went through 4 of them and they never really fixed the problem they have, just threw some bandaid crap at it. Was not satisfactory for me, although its a shame because otherwise its an awesome trainer

That’s very disappointing to hear. I assumed that they had fixed the problem by now. If not, then it makes me even more happy that I jumped ship when I did!

On the phone first thing this is a mechanical issue it’s a bit poor 4 days in and it gives up didn’t really give it any work poor where is the pdi should be tested in my opinion it’s not as if there 50£ so no excuse on there behalf. Let’s see what prevails knowing my luck I will get the response that’s normal . Not from this engineer mechanical fault is mechanical piss poor materials at the end of the day it’s a shame cos it was looking like a good bit of kit

Thanks for the info I’ve emailed saris waiting a response from them I’ll let you know
Cheers duke1098

How’s the Kickr compared to the H3 in ERG

I would say that ERG mode responsiveness is the one functional area where the H3 is better than the Kickr. The H3 is just about perfect in the way that it transitions smoothly to the target power and then holds that power accurately.

To be clear, the Kickr isn’t bad at ERG mode, it’s just that the H3 is exceptionally good at it! The difference is noticeable when you go immediately from one to the other (as I did). In particular, it is slightly harder to consistently match the target power number on the Kickr, because the fluctuations around this number are larger than on the H3. I guess that the H3 is responding more quickly and more smoothly to any small changes in my power output.

Having said all that, I’m confident that if you had only ever used a Kickr, then you would be perfectly happy with the ERG mode implementation.

In every other respect, I prefer the Kickr. Even if the majority of my training was in Erg mode (it isn’t), then personally I would still go for the Kickr.