CycleOps Magnus

Thanks I’m pretty sure that was the case as I closed everything off.

I didn’t calibrate my trainer as I didn’t see how within the powertap app so I’ve now downloaded Rouvy so will try that tomorrow. Not sure if that could have affected anything, unlikely maybe as the trainer seemed to work ok on its own without the Stages paired.

1 Like

How do people get on with the Magnus and power match? Despite being against ERG mode I’m starting to see the benefits but I’m not happy with the powermatch functionality.

I can never seem to get into a cadence that I want, I feel like I’m being dictated to (often way too high) and whilst the power corrects ok the experience is not the best. On the 3rd interval of Geiger -1 tonight I switched to my smaller ring (34) and I found that the accuracy seemed much better but the feel of the turbo was not good, so much so it left my knee a bit tender. I believe this was because the smoothness has gone, feels like the turbo is having to work extra hard to regulate things.

Not really sure how best to proceed, ditch power match, ditch ERG or is there anything better to try in terms of setup. The offset maybe?

Just to add, i calibrate via Rouvy (normal between 3.8 and 4.5 on spin down), close the app etc. I calibrate after doing 6 minutes of spinning, tyre is always at 110psi.

I run my BOLT as well as a backup measure.

I’ve recently turned on power match between my stages gen 3 and cycleops M2 trainer.
I’ve noticed that there’s often a large gap between the power my cranks read and what the trainer shows.

So much so I had to set the power match off on Saturday and today’s efforts as it killed me.

I regularly calibrate my crank in the tr app and do the trainer in the Rouvey app (only way I believe I can do this?). I don’t think I should need to calibrate the trainer every time?

I’m connecting via bluetooth to my phone and it’s in the device page when pedalling that I see the difference in power. Is there anything else I can try?

I should say I’ve contacted support but I thought with people having similar issues would be worth a punt here too.

I have a Magnus & PowerTap (I think it’s a G2 SL). Anyway here’s my take: I don’t dwell on the numbers. I stopped using Power Match and I’m happy with that. I always use ERG mode and calibrate with Rouvy about every other week AFTER a workout. I do the ramp test this way AND the training so whatever my FTP is, that controls the level of the plan. If you mix it up you may not have the right level of training. Either way you will Increase your FTP.
If you’re hung up on exact numbers you may need a coach!