Cycling shoes, do you splurge on shoes, favorite shoe and how much if you want to divulge

The shoe seemed to fit perfectly but after around 45 minutes I got hot spots on the outside of the feet. My initial idea was that the feet are swelling and therefore the shoes becomes to tight. I have worked with a shoe stretcher but with limited success. The cleat wedges brought the break-through.

Several steps:

1. I have “duck feet”. Therefore cleats have been positioned to accomplish for this - despite float of cleats. They are positioned as far as possible to the back.
  2. My pressure of the feet is on the outside (Varus forefoot). Therefore I added cleat wedges to increase height on the inside to distribute the pressure. One or two degrees should be sufficient. One worked for me. I still need to see for rides longer than 2hours but up to 90min I am fine. Other shoe manufacturers seem to integrate the “angle” in their shoes as most people fall into this pattern (Varus forefoot). The Torch 3.0 seems to be neutral.
  3. The upper Boa cable is much too short and you can only get in and out with unhooking the Boa laces. I asked the Boa support for a longer replacement but only got the same length twice. I have ordered a 60cm Boa replacement lace for a different Boa type and replaced the lace (just the lace inside the Boa) myself. Now, I can get in and out with just loosening the Boa dial.
  4. I have replaced the insole by a Solestar kontrol, which I have order at the same time as the shoe ( I wanted to try it regardless of the shoes). The insole feels nice but did not have an impact on the hotspot.
2 Likes

First ride this morning and first use of the dial ratchet system on the Wire Push Speedplay Cycling Shoe. I don’t know if I over tightened the top but it feels like the top strap and tongue were clamping down on the tendon on the top of the foot, making it very difficult to stand and pedal. I’m going to try these shoes again tomorrow for an hour and a half ride, maybe ratchet it down and then back off a notch or two until I learn to use these shoes and they break in a little. If not, maybe I need to try another shoe. Other than the tension on the tendon, they were very comfortable.

Ever since I watched my first GCN video after getting into cycling, all I wanted was a Canyon Aeroad, and fizik shoes with boa dials. Got the Aria R3’s and love them. Been eying the Infinito R1 knit in any of the colors honestly. We’ll see how my budget lines up :wink:

1 Like

The infinito r1 still is an option, yet to try them on.

Sidi shot and wire are something I’m deciding on also.

The last year model of the wire speedplay seem to be getting more comfortable. I’ve done 2 1/2 hours of riding with them.

Question for those using Sidi speedplay with the metal shim, protection for the carbon sole. How often do you replace that shim?

I’ve though about just going with the shot with the two dials vs two dials and a strap. The shot is the non-speedplay, which of course would give me the three bolt cleat options

In Canada the difference between a dial and a strap is $100.
Not sure I require a $600 cycling shoe.

Or even a $400 shoe.
But seems like anything below that mark is junk. :angry:

You can literally buy the Giro Empire ACC for sub 200$ (sale price) and they are far from junk.
There are also so many shoes that are sub 400$ and are not junk. Hell, the thought of spending 400$ on shoes makes my skin crawl. I have yet to spend over $150 on shoes. Granted, with pro deals and sales, I’ve purchased expensive shoes at a discount.

My Bontrager RL is a good shoe at 190 u.s. I don’t see it being made any more.

That said, wearing the wire, I feel the quality and how secure of a fit it is.

The wire being last year’s is 300 u.s. on sale and the shot I found for 450 vs 550 retail.

I don’t need it but I can invest in a good shoe that will last a long time.

I’m riding 6 to 8 hours a week, so a good shoe I enjoy would be worth it.

Shoes and saddle are at the top of the splurge list.

1 Like

Went through a few saddles finding the right one. Invested 800 into Pro saddle, di2 handle bar and stem.

Same here, I went through 4 pairs of shoes before landing on some last-gen RP9 in wide that didn’t put my right two toes to sleep on my right foot. I’ve considered jumping up to the S-Phyre expecting the same size/wide to fit the same but give me Boas but haven’t made a move yet.

I’d be curious to know what other options are available in the wides, the popular Lake and Bont for bigfoots seemed to be all made of leather last time I looked and I’d need to have full synthetic.

The Bont Helix is a synthetic upper I believe. They call it Durolite.

1 Like

Awesome, I’ll have to track some down. They look to have a pretty interesting boa system.

I just bought a pair of the new Giant Surge Pro road shoes, for two main reasons being I ride Giant bikes and I also love the look of them. But they are actually quite good shoes, by being stiff enough and flexible enough at the same time.

However my Louis Garneau X-Lite 2 tri shoes are soooo damn good. Highly underrated imo. They’re great for long outdoor rides as they’re so comfortable, but for triathlon they’re perfect. So easy to get my feet in, strap up, stand on, padded for no socks. Going to be hard to find a replacement when that time comes.

Both my shoes were in the $350 AUD range. Price isn’t a consideration for me when it comes to anything haha, if I like/need/want a certain product, I go get it.

How have you been liking those surge pro shoes? I really like the they way they look with the update, but have heard some conflicting reviews on them with some liking them, and some not

Have you like at Garneau shoes?

I have the Course Air Lite II bookmarked.

I think it might come down to either LG or Sidi.
Love the Sidi fit and the LG clean simplicity.

Just looked at the Giant Surge…too many hot options! :tired_face:

I like that the LG’s ship from headquarters in Quebec City. I grabbed a pair of Platinum’s but now I kind of wish they had a mid-priced double boa shoe. The Course Airs are nice but out of my price point. I may look again they next time I am past the outlet in Vermont.

I’ve got a four year old pair of LG LS-100 and can’t complain. Another boa would be nice but for the $ they’re crazy light, stuff, and comfortable.

I’m always eyeing a new pair but can’t justify. Previously I rode SWorks and Fizik R3 and I’d rate the $120 LS right up there.

I was honestly a bit worried about how comfortable they might be over long durations. I did 2 TR indoor rides in them and they seemed fine. Took some adjusting coming from my super comfy and light LG tri shoes, but yesterday I did a 3hr outdoor ride with hills, sprints, threshold work and they were absolutely fine! Really enjoyed them actually. No discomfort or rubbing issues, no hotspots, and adjustability on the boas was great. Definitely recommended :+1:t2:

1 Like

I’m a splurger, due to wide / large feet. I’m a 46/47 but have a wider right foot. Years ago I purchased a set of Sidis online as they looked cool and regretted it immediately, I was almost in tears after the first ride they were so tight in the fore foot.

Now I’m running two sets of S-Works road shoes in a 47. First set I bought 4 years ago when they did a wide fit model and these have been great. They’ve been kept as my nice outdoors shoes. On the trainer I’ve been using a set of Giro factors I picked up cheap, they are good but anything over an hour and I start to get some niggles in my right foot.

Just recently bought the Sub6 version on clearance for $300NZD, first rides were in Adelaide in the heat following the TDU and was amazed at how comfortable they were given the heat and my normal issues with pressure points. Sub6s will be my outdoor ride shows and older model will stay for trainer use.