Dexa Scans! At home scales, my results and reference pics

I had a good run there for 3 or 4 years. Then I got really old and broken.

What model Nokia scale are you using?
Would it be OK if I made my signature file “You are an idiot.” from your matrix pyramid thing?
:joy:

This one: https://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Body-Composition-Wi-Fi-Scale/dp/B071XW4C5Q/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?tag=trainerroad-20

3 Likes

That video kind of throws the whole typical visual estimation of bf% out the window. Although the guy who did the videowas more of an outlier. A true 12% is basically where you can start to see abs.

Right now my older tanita has a very large difference between athlete mode and normal. I know I’ve still got enough subcutaneous fat to make it down to my desired race weight. Although i am putting that as a secondary goal with the power gains to get to 4.5 w/kg as main goal.

It was on sale directly from Nokia a few weeks ago. Worth a try

I’ve been testing a Garmin Index scale in parallel to a Tanita BF680W and they match up directly. Syncs to Garmin Connect and pushes to MyFitnessPal automatically which is really nice. It also recognizes when I am on the scale and differentiates that to when my wife is on the scale.

10 Likes

I have Withings scales. My understanding it is the same model as Nokia one, but before Nokia acquired Withings. My numbers between the scales and dexa are not even close.

The scales show around 7%-8%, dexa shows around 18%-19%

Here’re scales measurements around the same time as I did dexa:

IMG_6163

2 Likes

Prior to discovering TR and AACC podcast - I bought a Tanita scales about 5 years ago when i resumed serious training for track (running not cycling)

I read 5% body fat solidly but lost about 10lbs. (v odd)

i transitioned to cycling this year due to health issues that sadly curtailed my running …

anyway and took your advice and switched the Tanita to NON-athlete mode … now i am more like 6-6.5%

but this still feels quite low? which seems off

i am 5’11 and about 130-131lbs

however i am encouraged that you say DEXA reads similar to tanita … but it makes me a little scared to try loose weight at any point.

I am so embarrassed to share my results :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Do you have the scale set to athlete mode? If so turn that off.

That is very low! Are you super lean?

hey Nate -

that’s what i have trying to ascertain ?!

i’d say yes(ish) , but i find it very disconcerting as it makes me unsure as to whether trying to cut a couple pounds before my mountain stage race next summer.

its tough cos my FTP is not high, but my w/kg is ok i think (from what you guys reference in podcast ).

i guess runners are usually leaner anyhow though right ?

But whenever you guys mention weight it makes me feel like i might be TOO low on spectrum … ?

1 Like

With those tanita results I definitely wouldn’t focus on body composition at all, just pure power.

I’ve got double your fat and I’m still focused on power.

3 Likes

thanks for the advice!

SO would you suggest despite what TANITA says its still ‘safe’ or rather ‘advantageous’ to try cut a 1kg (2-3lbs) ?

OR just focus on getting FTP up

i’m at 4.2w/kg with a meagre 251 FTP :disappointed:

250w means i have to go over threshold on most climbs ATM

thanks so much for the advice btw!

You’re in single digitals in non-athlete mode. I’d go for more power if I were in your cycling shoes :smiley: .

2 Likes

thanks Nate …

i’m following the plans closely and ftp keeps going up so i will definitely keep going to try bump it higher over the coming months.

i won’t worry about weight … but thanks for helping answer that as i know you guys talk about cutting weight a lot, so it’s great to have your personal input for my case.

MyFitnessPal is awesome btw - thanks for the tip off on that one … really helps to keep the 5g /kg of weight in close check!

:sunglasses::+1:

Sold! Was looking at replacing my current scale with the Nokia scale, but using another app seems like a hassle; much easier to have everything on Garmin Connect for me.

1 Like

Tanita’s “athlete mode” looks very iffy to me.

When in shape, I’ve been sat around the 5% fat floor, supposedly, for about a decade or more. I’m naturally very lean but simply don’t believe those figures. I’m middle-aged, ride a bike, walk a dog; I’m not some cage-fighting super specimen, so the for me personally, that athlete mode scale simply isn’t credible.

1 Like

I never look at the athlete mode stuff. I want to see my full fatness :smiley:

9 Likes

Yep, so-called “athlete” mode == vanity mode.

2 Likes