Dexa Scans! At home scales, my results and reference pics

Yeah, we like our abbreviations here! If we had to type out all those names each time we used them we surely would have to had 1-2 TSS per week to account for it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just another data point for everyone and some feedback on available DXA scans. I used Body Spec this morning for my first DXA. They are a mobile truck with a scanner that goes to gyms, offices, etc in Austin, LA, SF and maybe a few others. Scan was $45, so well worth a try.

I am 6’1" and 155lb. Have decent ab definition and most ribs visible for reference on the below numbers.
I use a fitbit Aria scale regularly in non-athlete mode and typically get right around 7% (athlete mode gives in the 5.5% range. Both readings are probably lower than actual).
DXA scan today read 10.2% - results attached below for reference. Overall I’m happy with it, I think it’s accurate enough for my purposes, and cheap enough that I will do it regularly for trending.

4 Likes

10% on the Dexa is very lean! Congrats!

When your body uses fat as fuel the residues are 20% water and 80% CO2. So, exercising can increase body water. Of course you sweat some of it off, but as you drink as well that pretty much balances out. Bottom line is, I’m not surprised if fat is down and water is up right after a ride. Your body will regulate the water level lower as you adjust post-ride.

1 Like

Interesting, that does seem like it could explain it!

That’s weird, this doesn’t work for me, and it’s annoyed me for ages. Might try decoupling the apps and reconnecting again.

Edit: It’s the MFP > GC part that doesn’t work. Health Mate > MFP is fine.

Hi,
just did my DEXA scan and these are my results

69,85kg
1,9m
11,9%

if i want to go to 8-9% I need to lose 2 a 2.5kg of fatt

2 Likes

Maximum lean

PNG

1 Like

12% on the dexa is very lean and <70kg for your height is pretty low. You are probably pushing close to diminishing gains of going lower.

1 Like

Hi Stevemz,

I ask the sports nutrutionist and my muscle composition is pretty normal so losing 2 kg of fat should be ‘no problem’ without losing any watts.

But losing 2kg should be in 6 months and not 2 weeks :slight_smile:

Did you do a dexa ?

Had to chuckle at the ‘bone’ beneath your pelvis :blush:

2 Likes

lol me too. I had testicular cancer back in 2007. It’s a prosthetic testicle. Seems to light up as bone in the DEXA.

3 Likes

Fair play! I hope all is well :+1:

1 Like

Damn that’s lean. What % did the Dexa say? Have you compared with a BF scale?

1 Like

DEXA said 10%. Tanita said half that.

Yeah, I was guessing like 5-6% but I guess that’s based on the traditional visual or calliper expectations of bfp, not dexa.

1 Like

Just returned from a follow up DEXA scan. My primary objective was to calibrate the Garmin Index scale I use everyday. Here’s how my scale and my DEXA compared. Figured end of the “off season” was the best time to create a baseline. I’m about 7 lbs more than during the season. I have a “sprinter ass” build. I’ll never be mistaken for Froome.

I’m 6’0 182cm
Today 171 lbs 77.7kg
DEXA Body fat = 14.3
Garmin Body fat = 10.5

Skeletal muscle mass
DEXA 75.2 lbs
GARMIN = 71.1

Thanks to UC Davis Sports med for the test. Great resource for the folks in Nor-Cal

1 Like

I was having issues with the Withings → MFP → Garmin Connect syncing, I never figured out what was wrong but I ended up building my own app for it.

Sharing in case others are interested, I managed to have it sync all the fancy metrics (body fat %, bone mass, muscle mass, water %) not just weight, which I never got with the MFP syncing.

I considered just getting the Garmin scale but it’s gotten terrible reviews (DCR said it’s the worst reviewed product he’s covered), and I’ve been very happy with the withings scale.

3 Likes

I can set the an “Activity Level (1-10)” currently set to 7 for my user. It’s under Garmin Connect, Devices Settings on the website. Just to be curious: What activity lvl have you set and does changing it also changes the reported values? ( I figure this is somehow like the athlete /non-athlete mode of other scales)