Dexa Scans! At home scales, my results and reference pics

Thats a good catch. I am currently set to a 10 but will change it to see if the scale reports something different.

I did change mine from 7 to 8 and it made a big change to body fat% etc. The end of the day its just ten different body profiles and best guesses by the software on whatever research went in to the profile scales.

To me the only measurement I can say is positively correct is the reported weight. The reason I purchased it, the rest I just ignore. Really like my smart scale, just the fact it records weight automatically is enough for me.

Got the Body+. First day and it all synced perfectly. Second day didn’t sync. Does the scale store the readings locally and can you force a sync?

My wife bought me a Garmin Index for Festivus, it’s pretty cool. Nice that I already use Garmin Connect so no additional application required. Does anyone know if the weight can be synced to TrainingPeaks? Also, @Nate_Pearson, when will TrainerRoad analytics import scale data AND my L/R power data? :slight_smile:

1 Like

My wife bought me the same as well. We are a Garmin family so it works well in our eco-system, I think she has used it more than me already!

I belive @Nate_Pearson said scale data is on the radar as a future improvement.

1 Like

The Index can be linked to TrainingPeaks, you just need to have the Index connected to your Connect account and your Connect account connected to TP. I think.

Thanks… did some reading on it last night.

To sync body composition data you will need to authorize TrainingPeaks from your Garmin Connect account by navigating to Garmin AutoSync.

If you are using a Garmin Index scale then the following metrics will sync to TrainingPeaks

Weight
Percent Fat
Muscle Mass
Water Percent
BMI (you will need to have your height entered in your Garmin Connect profile)

2019.01.26 - Body Spec (2).pdf (2.5 MB)
Additional followup data point for reference. I had my first DXA scan back at the beginning of November 2018 (posted results above, 10.2%, for comparison, Fitbit Aria scale read just North of 7% on normal mode)

Just rescanned this weekend after finishing marathon training and race - 153 lbs, 8.8% DXA, 6.5% Fitbit on normal mode. Definitely leaned out a bit during marathon training. The report shows an increase in lean tissue, but that’s not likely muscle so much as water weight…I know I lost a good bit of upper body muscle of the past few months

I am pretty happy with the service provided by BodySpec, the report they generate is interesting if nothing else and it does a good job of showing deltas and comparisons to your previous tests. I’ve attached the report if anyone is interested and wants to see what they produce.

Looking forward to new ramp test this week and starting into Ironman training!

wfenwick - Great result !
Your DEXA shows only an increase in lean mass by 0.5lbs. The summary they have given you doesn’t show your previous results, but check your previous measurements for your truck lean mass. My bet… much of the .5lbs will be found in this area.
I find when I do a bit of running or outdoor hill climbing - i put on lean muscle in the Trunk.

Hang on…, I just re-read your scan. You’re regional lean tissue section says you’ve put 2.8lbs of lean mass on in the trunk.
Winning !

Just had my first Dexa. A bit humbling, but not super surprising. 25%, so I’ve got some work to do. Not so far were you were at the beginning of your table @Nate_Pearson . I’m also similar in height, so it should be a good reference.

This year I raced my entire UCI CX season at 205 lbs. The previous year I raced at 192 (although was a cat 3, so comparing is hard), I was stronger this year but thought the weight was holding me back.

3 Likes

Does anyone have any experience with the InBody Body Composition Analyzers? How do they track with DXA results?

The InBody website cites a study that says there is a high correlation with DXA for lean mass measurements. Specifically, “99% correlation to DXA when measuring lean mass in normal and overweight populations.”

I’m scheduled for my first DXA later this month, but I’m interested in knowing more about the InBody analysis because the local 5 Star Nutrition store is offering them for free with a Facebook check-in. Otherwise, they’re normally $25. Either way is a lot easier than getting a referral from my primary care physician.

Chris you have asked the question I was going to ask when I got to the end of this thread.

I had an InBody in Jan of 2018 and again in Jan of this year. I made big improvements going from 19.5% to 13.7%.

Please tell us how the InBody and DXA compare when you get your results.

Will do. The DXA is scheduled for the morning of Feb. 28. I’ll stop in to 5 Star right after and get assessed.

1 Like

If you’re not losing weight, you’re not running a calorie deficit.

3 Likes

So, if someone were looking at upgrading their scale from the $12 one from Target, where would one start?
Garmin Index seems pretty popular. I do not have a smart garmin (500) but may upgrade it if the crack in the screen gets any worse.

And at my last health thing at work, I think I was at 12% and BMI of 22 or so.
5’ 8.5" 149

I just got a Garmin Index, and am ‘pleased as punch’. I configured it via my Macbook (with an ANT+ stick) and haven’t needed any other devices since then. It connects to the house WiFi and syncs to Garmin Connect perfectly. I’m using https://www.fitnesssyncer.com to keep everything synced with TrainingPeaks, etc.

p.s. I had been using a WeightGuru’s scale for about 4 years, which despite being pretty inexpensive at Bed Bath & Beyond, has been quite accurate and consistent. The last few weeks I’ve been stepping on both the Garmin and Weight Guru’s unit and they’re within .3 LBS of each other.

I’m happy with the Withings/Nokia scale so far. Not with the actual numbers but that’s on me to fix. :nerd_face:

1 Like

@TonyLPowell I have the Withings/Nokia as well. For me, the fat% and LBM are way off in comparison to a Dexa. Not even in the ballpark. However, the overall weight is accurate.

2 Likes

That’s a bummer. I don’t care about the weight. I mean, I do. But I’d want something that is bit more reliable in measuring body fat and lbm. Then after doing some reading, it seems most of these scale are just all over the place.