Dexa Scans! At home scales, my results and reference pics

@JHow Dexa is the gold standard. Tanita (which I also have) is pretty close to the Dexa but not quite there. However Tanita does not sync with apps on my iphone.

Dexa says my BF 32% (working on it). Withings/Nokia 17% *(I wish) Tanita 27.5%

Obviously yes, if you’re into paying 100$ for a scan sure.

I’ve went from Tanita to Withings recently and they were within 1-2% of each other. Would you happen to be using athlete mode on the Withings scale?

@Jim You’re right. Looks like Athlete mode was indeed turned on. I have switched it off. I will see how the results look like tomorrow morning. Thanks for the tip.

this is good info
The Nokia/Withings is only $60 on amazon right now. Seems about as good of a deal out there.

I haven’t had s dexascan in a couple of years but it’s on my to-do list to get one. The Withings scale actually matches the old dexa result pretty close (in non-athlete mode). My old Tanita was way off from the dexa, but that was in athlete mode.

I’ll post my results when I get it done.

I bought the recommended scale from The Wirecutter’s Best Smart Scale article – the Eufy Bodysense Smart Scale.

I would say it’s pretty optimistic with the body fat measurement, mind. It clocks me at about 10%, and while I’m lean, I do not have the definition of the 10% athletes in @Nate_Pearson’s OP… Heck, I don’t even think I’m as shrink-wrapped as the 17% chap!

@Jim @JHow I measured my bf% this morning after having toggling the setting to Non-Athlete mode. I am happy to report that it is now much closer to my dexa. All good here.

3 Likes

THanks for the update! You have the $60-ish version of this scale? That’s what I’m about to order.

@jhow This is what I ordered. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071XW4C5Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

ok thanks. This is the next up version than I saw. but only $20 more and on sale. appreciate it.

1 Like

Today i had a dexa-scan. The result is a little to be worried about, i got 5% fat.

Good thing is that I can eat what I want the upcomming weeks :grinning:

5% on the Dexa :open_mouth: What do you look like?

a lot of veins …

It probably went the wrong way, due to stress at work, which started a few weeks ago.

I still have a lot of power in the legs and I’m stronger than last year…

But the message is clear. I need to refuel!

Ok. Bought the nokia body+ and back to tracking my food with myfitnesspal. Haven’t tracked my food in a few years and it’s a bit tedious, but keeps me honest. I realize I don’t eat as much as I probably should. Especially after doing something like that workout with 2x30s at sweet spot. Goal is to get my body fat % under 10. It was something like 12 in the summer when I was at my physician’s for a checkup.

1 Like

Time to revive this topic…

Finally was able to jump on the bandwagon, thanks to a local PhD studying the effects of supplementation on cycling performance. I went in for the first trial today which consisted of paperwork, DEXA scan, VO2 and lactate test. I was a little surprised by the BMI after having used my Tanita 680BW over the last 6 months and it consistently read 17-18%. I realize it’s just one piece of information but was hoping for lower reading. In the long run I’ve changed a few things in my diet to help, namely increasing my amount of protein from lean meats. Also I’ve been reading through Nutrient Timing which had been hugely beneficial. (Thanks @chad for the recommendation.)

Here are my results…

I shouldn’t worry about the BMI – the formula doesn’t apply well to those who are muscular.

Your VO2 test result – how does that tally up with the result that a Garmin device might calculate for you?

Never mind that - your RER - do you even metabolise fats, bro?

1 Like

For those with the Nokia Body+ scale – are you using the “athletic” mode. I got vastly different fat readings. Was 13% in normal mode, 4.4% in athletic, which doesn’t seem right.

1 Like

I don’t use athletic mode.

2 Likes