Dieting support group 2020

I noticed this thread while I was eating a handful of chocolate covered pretzels to chase some jalapeno kettle potato chips and fritos that I had after my bowl of chili for lunch. Probably should have seen this thread earlier. :smile: At least I ran six miles already today.

I’m in a similar boat to OP – same age and height, close to same weight (was 192 lbs. a couple weeks ago, now 188-189), low end in my weight cycle is about 172 lbs. which I’ve hit a few times in the past 12 years when I was half-iron fit, but I never have held that after the big race. I’m afraid the days of the great fat-burning 4 hour bike rides and 2 hour training runs are mostly behind me, so on a lower volume of training with reasonably careful eating I’d be happy with hitting low 180’s and holding it there for more than a couple of months.

I lost 70lbs about 10 years ago, but have been stuck at 190-195 for the past few years. I definitely struggle with willpower when it comes to snacking in the evening. What tips do you guys have for pushing through cravings and breaking through a plateau. I’ll drop down to 185 in the summer with added riding, but it always seems to add back up. Somebody needs to come up with some willpower intervals or something haha.

1 Like

Keep yourself occupied with something else in the evening. Maybe go to the gym, or take up scuba diving - hard to eat underwater.

Sadly, I’ve realized over the years that you basically need to make dietary or lifestyle changes forever. If you “diet”, lose weight, but go back to the old way of eating, you’ll gain it back.

Slowly over time I’ve broken the addiction to pizza, sugar, and alcohol. I eat lots of veggies, salads, make big pots of home made beans, lentils, steel cut oats, and chickpeas as staples. I just keep moving the line towards healthier inch by inch.

One hack that I think is really helpful is the 5x20 grams of protein I’m doing. I’ve mentioned it above. You need a minimum of 20 grams of protein (which includes 1.5-2 grams of leucine) to kick off protein synthesis. The idea is that for recovery and muscle building, you want to kick off this process multiple times per day. It’s better than eating 75 grams of protein 2x per day because some of that protein will go unused.

I think this hack has had an unintended effect of curbing any hunger. I’m calorie restricting but I’m just never ravenous.

1 Like

I don’t follow you, the relevant information from the quote you have seems to be:

To me this would mean that while the caloric density is different, the amount of calories consumed is still the relevant point.

If, instead, you’re referring to how the body would convert triglycerides into fat

Wouldn’t that only be relevant for weight gain, not weight loss?

The point is that a calorie is not a calorie. Eating 100 calories of sugar, fat or protein all affect the calories out equation differently.

I do believe that total energy balance is important. You have to maintain a negative energy balance to lose weight but different foods contribute to that energy balance differently.

Anyway, let’s not reopen the calories in/out thrash and ruin the topic.

Sorry, I don’t want to derail your thread, I’m just trying to understand what that study says. If you don’t want to explain it that’s fine, I just don’t think I understand how that study is saying that 100 calories of carb/protein (25g) or 100 calories of fat (11.1g) is different. Happy to leave well enough alone, was hoping to learn something new

I was referring to the study above posted by someone else. My main point was that the study showed that a calorie is not a calorie. Protein needs to be oxidized and thus there is an energy cost to just processing the protein. 1 calorie of protein in, post processing by the body, will have net energy balance effect of less than 1 calorie.

I don’t know your eating pattern but I did three things:

1. Upon waking, I drink a couple of cups of coffee. Then, sometime between 9-10a I drink a protein drink (whey + 1 cup of almond milk). This holds me until a 12-2p lunch.

2. Log what you eat.

3. Have a 300-600 cal shortage per day. I found that with the protein in the morning, I don’t really struggle with that.

Just a suggestion.

I hear you. One year and one year only, I got to the point everyone was asking my wife if I was sick. I knew I was at a good weight and had my best running times that year. I PRed in 3 distances. I struggled the following couple of years with overtraining, lack of motivation, etc. The last 4 years of so I keep yo-yoing because I lost the discipline willpower. I am definitely not winning in the kitchen.

I am slowly making changes to that. I started a couple of weeks ago. I haven’t weighed myself yet, but I don’t think I have lost much weight in two weeks. The nighttime snacking is the hardest. I am doing fruit with just a little bit of yogurt or a protein shake made with milk. I will eat one small portion (very small) of a dessert item. Slowly cutting back is helping. I eat pretty healthy for during the day, but for me it is going to be slowly cutting the dessert item at night.

Something else I cut out two weeks ago is eating the remains of kids’ pancakes, waffles, tacos etc. I was putting in too many calories at that point.

1 Like