Dirty Kanza 2019 Rider/Racer Discussion

Just curious-
Aside from finishing, is anyone here setting any time goals?
Who is making “beating the sun” a goal of theirs?
What’s your W/KG?

I’m not doing DK200 this year, nor have I ever done it. It is on my bucket list though- thinking about making an attempt in 2021 as a 40th B-Day present to myself :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m working at going sub-13. The way the weather is it will still be a long time until I can get outside for some long days so most will be long slogs on the trainer. I’ll be doing Almanzo just before DK and that will give me a good idea where I’m at and what my pacing and ultimate goal will be.

1 Like

I’m targeting to “beat the sun” so that about 14 1/2 hours. I’m 52 and hope to be close to 4.0 watts/kg by race time. I figure a great day for me would be 14 hours and a bad day (either physically or mechanically could be pushing 18). This is my first time so I have no experience to based this one. Will definitely report back here to let people know how it goes for me

1 Like

That one looks interesting. Most of the pictures I’ve seen show riders with top tube bags not a handlebar bag. I don’t have any experience but you may want to google some of those options.

I suppose the conditions can vary immensely in a race like this, making time predictions hard. I’ve read that some years large portions of the course are unrideable.

was debating between maxxis rambler 40c vs. WTB riddler 45c. i opted for more volume and did not regret it one bit. never thought i was slow b/c of the width and loved the cush towards the end. not super fast, but still beat the sun- with no flats. you are probably fine with anything in the 40c range. and dont forget to take a picture with the chaise.

2 Likes

@DingleTower

I’ve been looking at the Revelate Mag-Tank and the XLab Stealth 500. Since I’m building my frame I’ll opt for the bolt on systems. Revelate’s Jerrycan looks like another decent option for emergency food and additional supplies. They look a bit more “aero” than the Tapeats. A few folks I know have done DK and have said every lil bit helps when you’re pedaling into a headwind at mile 150.

So where I stand right now in terms of on bike gear:

1. cockpit bag (see above).
  2. saddle bag (for tools + bike supplies)
  3. 3 mounts 1 - ST 2 - DT.
  4. tubeless patch kit stored in steerer tube.
  5. Jerrycan type bag in case I need more storage (not a huge fan cuz I got thunder thighs)

Then a USWE race hydration pack.

Chris you’re going for sub-13 – if you don’t mind me asking what’s your height/weight w/kg – I have no idea what goal to set. I typed in some info to best bike split and they came back with a sub-11 hour time. I obviously did something wrong. I’m interested to see where I am compared to others and their goals.

I’ve considered the aero aspect but figure I can tuck a bar bag like the Tapeats behind my number plate anyway. I’m trying to get away from a zippered bag. My muddled brain sometimes thinks it’s hard to open and close the zipper. One less hurdle to maintain fueling.

I’m 165lbs. Just under 4w/kg. Best bike split gave me some crazy time that I don’t think I could actually manage. I’ve ridden the distance on the road but never on gravel. Some guys I ride with have done it in just over 13hrs so I know the strength of those guys. My only real concern is the heat.

1 Like

I’m in. This will be my third year. First year I did the 100 half pint, last year the full 200 and this year the full 200. I’m going to try to beat the sun this year. But Idk, it will depend on a lot of criteria that I have no control over (temps, wind, rain, etc.). Last year I spent too much time at the check points. This year I’m shooting for 8 to 10 minutes max at each point. I had two flats during stage three and I dinked around with the fixes and took way too much time. My rolling time was around 16 hours but my actual elapsed time was over 19 hours. Finishing was never an issue but I could have and should have managed my time better.

My fitness is, I think, much better this year. I’ve started training had back in the beginning of September 2018. So we shall see.

I would love to group up with a bunch of folks who want to beat the sun (but just barely). I’m no racer just a finisher. Being in a group of 6-10 riders means that we can really break the wind well. All take their turn and it works great.

1 Like

I think the group idea sounds like a good plan. Sounds like I’m about where you are…targeting 14ish hours. So I’m in if you want to start a “beat the sun…but just barely” team

FWIW I’m down for riding with a TR Team. At the very least it’d be rad to meet some of “The Family”

1 Like

I would be down with that if there is interest. I have beat the sun before & could probably go sub 13 on a good day…but conditions can make finish times so wildly variable I don’t like to count on anything.

What does everybody do for crew support during the race? Bring your own or pay for support?

I chose the “pay for support” option as it supports a good local cause and my wife has zero interest in coming out to Emporia, KS. A buddy of mine thought about coming out with me to be support but then realized he has a triathlon June 1.

I think we should just pick a time and place on Friday for a TrainerRoad meetup, and then if people want to talk about grouping up for the ride based on targeted time, we can do that.

2 Likes

Coming up to the start of specialty training for Dk200 and looking to geek out a bit more on plan choices. I know everyone says Century plan but is anyone doing XC Marathon?

Wouldn’t XC Marathon more closely mimic the “hilly” nature of DK?

Either plan I choose I will be supplementing with long gravel endurance rides but would love to hear some insight from others.

I asked that exact question to @chad and he said Century is what he would recommend but XC could work. I think based on the lack of punchiness of DK. I guess if you are shooting for to 10 or 20 you may be involved in some attacks and chasing but I know I’m not. So I’m sticking with Century.

Ugh, I overlooked the hotel part of things.

Edit: If there’s a TR member that feel like doing a solid and splitting a hotel/airbnb close to Emporia send me a DM. Right now it looks like I’ll be driving from 50-70 miles away the morning of. #DK200FAIL

Just sent you a message

I hear ya! I’ve got a 50 minute drive to get to the race.

But I like where I’m staying so I kinda try to make it happen this way every year. Just happy to be out there riding.

1 Like

Thanks for the insight and its good to know that the hills in DK are not punchy. I would like to try and hold some fast groups as long as I can so I like the idea of working on that short sharp stuff (I don’t feel like I am great at that now). I did mid-volume base and am in the middle of mid-volume sustained power build that I have been supplementing with easy commutes to work and extra outside rides on weekends (when I can - weather, family commitments, energy level, etc.). I’m thinking now to drop down to low-volume XCM speciality or low-volume century and continue to supplement with commuting and really long SS gravel rides on weekends…

1 Like

Looks like a whole new course this year. Big changes. We’re going to be HEADED NORTH! Awesome.

Only two checkpoints. Very cool. That’s gonna make it much easier on the crew.

DK200

• Total Distance: 201.9 Miles*
  • Total Elevation: 9,450 Feet*
  • Mile 64: Checkpoint One, downtown Alma, Kansas****
  • Mile 121: Neutral Water Oasis, Alta Vista, Kansas (Support Crews NOT allowed here.)*
  • Mile 151.5: Checkpoint Two, Council Grove High School, Council Grove, KS****
2 Likes