Dirty Kanza 2019 Rider/Racer Discussion

1 Like

What does this mean for “typical” winds?

Juicy, Jr. Real Juicy.

So headwind on the way out and tailwind on the way back. I’ll take that all day long. And likely to be less wind the am.

Funny thing is I listened to a podcast recently where Jim Cummins was interviewed (a few years ago) and said he wanted to go north again. But the issue was a big rodeo weekend that made it not work. Guess DK and the rodeo aren’t butting heads this year.

1 Like

In case you’re curious what type of trainer workouts the 3 time winner of the DK200 Fatbike does:
https://www.strava.com/activities/2202419284

5 Likes

Makes my 3 hour trainer ride seem like a walk in the park!

2 Likes

I’ve only done a 6hr ride so far. Better get on it.

Anyone ever done DK with no support? I know technically you’re supposed to but me and a teammate are having trouble finding someone after our original support bailed.

We were thinking of leaving a locked cooler at each feed zone the day before. Is this crazy?

Can’t answer the cooler question but I did get an email from CTS (Carmichael Training) who is offering both mechanical and food support. And a dinner before. It will cost you about $275 though! But I think they are still available.

1 Like

Yikes. $366 Canadian. No thanks. That’s crazy.

Yeah, when I saw the price I was really glad to have chosen the local support for $75. And it goes to a good cause and stays in the community!

Good luck with the search. If you don’t have anything by May 31, I could ask whoever my local team is if they would be willing to share. But I don’t know if that is allowed or not

First time at DK this year, but I can say I love my feedbag. One hand open/close is slick. Plenty of room and pockets. Can mount either side. And if you have a water bottle in you hand you can shove it in there in a pinch.

1 Like

The 75$ pay for support I did last year. It was not great. Yes, better than nothing, but it’s time consuming. Best to get your own support then have a plan. Last year I took way too much time at the check points. It cost me. This year my brother is providing support and we will have a plan! Goal is not more than 12 minutes at each of the two check points.

How exactly does the $75 support work. Do I just drop bags with them at the start and then have to find my bag at the checkpoint. Can I have water bottles and a cooler? I was under the impression there would be a volunteer team that “supports” me and maybe a few other riders? But is it more like they are “supporting” 40-50 riders and that’s why it takes more time.

Any additional info would be appreciated. I tried to get my own support plan/team but couldn’t.

Ok, DK PPL. It’s just about time.

Looks like there is going to be a great opportunity to ride in some mud this year. Possibly some rain. There is a good chance it will be humid.

I don’t know for sure what the course will look like but I’m almost 100% certain Little Egypt Road will be on the course. I’m almost 100% certain Kahola Hill will be on the course. I’m fairly confident Old K4 will be on the course.

Anyhow, my fitness is not where I wanted it to be. I’m still futzing around with my bike. Can’t wait to get out there and ride.

What app/website is this?

Can you tell is a little more about Little Egypt and the other two roads/climbs you reference. What makes them notable?

I just put on Teravail Cannonballs and I’m going to stick with them. Not switching to mid tires and crossing my fingers.

Still want to heat the sun but realize that may be a stretch if it is really muddy.

I got a cold early this week and haven’t ridden much the last week. Doing Lazy Mountain as I type this. Probably wouldn’t have gained much fitness but I’m hoping I didn’t lose much as I was feel good before last Tuesday.

I am stressed about all the prep and for forgetting something. I have the “crew for hire” which I’m hoping goes ok but recognize it could be a bit of a sh*t show.

Also hoping that Wednesday Thursday next week allow the roads to dry some before Friday/Saturday. But I’m preparing mentally for a wet, muddy day

The latest forecast for the DK is high of 78F. Winds SE at 10 to 15 mph with a 40% chance of rain. So it’ll be pretty much going out with the wind & coming back against it. It’s totally saturated in Emporia, the roads leading out of town to the south & west (which would have been the starting roads for the last number of years) have been closed for about 2 weeks. They are washed out.
The road conditions to the north should better though.
The forecast from now until the event have around 40% chance of rain every day.
My favorite tire for the DK is the Panaracer Gravelking SK 700c x 38. Just went to a new frame so I’ll probably step up to 43’s in the future.

1 Like

If I was taking a bunch of riders up there, I would take them down Little Egypt Road. It’s just a nice ride!

https://www.strava.com/segments/1371382

I might take them over Kahola dam…it wouldn’t make MY top 10 but I see a lot of DK particulars riding it with VIPs. And it is popular to go across that dam and climb up to the top of Kahola hill. If that little stretch was on the return route I could see it being a deciding point in the race.

https://www.strava.com/segments/2666839

Kahola hill, then turn left and hit the 290 climb. Kiss that KOM goodbye, Ryan.

https://www.strava.com/segments/11748226