Enve 3.4 AR Disc Wheels

Hey all. Anyone have these? Considering picking up a pair for my gravel steed. Also figure these will be “future proof”, as road machines are more and more allowing for wide tires/rims. Looking for reviews, I’ve gotta imagine these are like butter on the gravel. Thanks!

1 Like

I went with ENVE 525 MTB rims for my gravel/cross bike. They are pretty light and super duper strong. I can also run even bigger tires comfortably.

I wonder if aero depth matters much in gravel wheels because the tires are so much wider than the rims.

2 Likes

I have 3.4 Discs, not the AR version though. I love them and use them mostly for road riding and they are set up tubeless with Continental 5000 TL.

As a word of caution with the AR, due to the wider rim profile only certain tubeless tires are compatible with the rims. The Enve website has a list of approved tires that you should consider before purchasing.

1 Like

Well that’s the thing, you are supposed to only run 28-32c. I’m thinking I’d be ok with that on the gravel we have in Michigan.

33 – 50c or Treaded
These tires are compatible but drastically reduce the aerodynamic benefit and will be better suited to our G23.

Thanks, I hadn’t noticed that yet. My Roubaix’s wouldn’t be compatible…

The new venge supports 32s. You could get aero gravel wheels/tires and have a really fast gravel machine!

I don’t think it would be compliant at all though :slight_smile:.

1 Like

@Nate_Pearson,

Any reasons you chose the 525 MTB over the G23 gravel wheels? Also, what size tires are you running? The spec says 2.1" - 2.4" / 53 - 61mm, which would be pretty massive tires for gravel.

1 Like

G23 was released right after I got the M525 :man_facepalming:. They still run well with 40c tires. They are squared but I like it.

1 Like

Read the tech specs of the AR’s carefully. Because of the design it isn’t compatible with several tires, including my favorite tires, the Conti GP5000 TL’s.

Was thinking about AR’s for my next road bike, but its gonna have to be standard SES’s I think.

edit: sorry @solonger already mentioned the compatibility thing.

Just to be clear, it’s not the wider rim profile that makes incompatible with those tires. It’s that the ARs are hookless. I run the GP5000s on a rim just as wide, but it has hooks and it’s all good.

2 Likes

For gravel you want the G23 not the 3.4 AR. I have the 4.5 AR’s for road and G23 for gravel and just raced them at SBT GRVL this passed weekend.

The G23 profile is made to better support the tire and help resist pinch flats. If it is a gravel bike I think you will regret buying the 3.4’s. The G23 is the lightest wheelset Enve makes too and the layup is supposedly specific to gravel to provide more compliance in the wheel.
See the thickness of the rim bead area and how less “sharp” it is? This is supposed to help not pinch the sidewall of the tire if you hit a rock that you don’t see to prevent a pinch flat.

3.4 AR

G23

If I am not using the wheels on gravel terrain, would it make more sense to go for the non-AR version?

Also, does anyone have any aero comparison between the 4.5 AR and 3.4AR?

was considering the 3.4 AR for my gravel bike as well, but ultimately went with the gravel specific G23 instead paired with gravelking SK.

Still leaning towards the 3.4 AR, guys. I have to say, I am confused by this tire compatibility issue. From their website:

Approved/Recommended Tires

28c for the best aerodynamic performance
Vittoria Rubino Pro TLR
Schwalbe Pro One
Kenda Valkyrie TLR
Mavic Yksion Pro UST
Hutchinson Sector
Hutchinson Intensive 2
Maxxis Padrone
IRC Formula Pro (RBCC, Light, X-Guard)
Vittoria Corsa TLR
Vittoria Corsa Control TLR
Goodyear Eagle All Season
Maxxis Rouler TR
Teravail Rampart
Bontrager AW2 Hard-Case Lite TLR

30c
Schwalbe Pro One
WTB Exposure
Vittoria Corsa Control TLR
Kenda Valkyrie TLR
Vittoria Rubino Pro TLR
Schwalbe G One Speed
Mavic Yksion Elite Allroad

32c
Panaracer GravelKing
Hutchinson Sector
WTB Exposure
Bontrager R3 Hard-Case Lite TLR
Donnelly USH
Maxxis Refuse
Teravail Rampart

33 – 50c or Treaded
These tires are compatible but drastically reduce the aerodynamic benefit and will be better suited to our G23.

Incompatible/Not Recommended Tires
Any Tube-Type/Non-Tubeless Tires
Continental GP 5000 TL
Specialized S-Works Turbo 2Bliss
Specialized Roubaix Pro 2Bliss
Pirelli Cinturato Velo

-First off, how are they so specific on the 28’s-32’s, but when it comes to larger tire sizes its a simple “compatible but ruins the aero”?
-It doesn’t seem that Panaracer Gravel Kings are tubeless ready, unless 38c+, so what gives? I would lean towards the Gravel King SKs, which are tubeless, but would those be compatible?
-Similar question on Schwalbe G Ones… G One speed is compatible, why not G one all round?
-The NOT recommended tires confuses the issue. There are RECOMMENDED tires, NOT RECOMMENDED, what about everything in between?

Starting to think this is just lawyer/marketing “gobble de gook.” I’m inclined to run whatever I want unless it is clearly a NOT RECOMMENDED tire.

Thanks.

Larger tires = lower PSI and the tolerances for the tire/rim interaction does not have to be as exact because of the lower forces.

They can only report on what they’ve done testing on. If it’s not on either list then presumably, testing has not been completed yet. Then you are on your own.

It’s your face and you can risk it however you want. :stuck_out_tongue:

If you want to run non recommended or non listed tires why not just get another wheelset? Plenty of options nowadays

Thanks. That helps. I’m fine running the recommended tires when aero is the goal, was very confused when you get into wider tires. Any idea on the different iterations of tires (i.e. G One Speed vs. All Round, Panaracer regular vs SK)? I would think they would have the same bead…

1 Like

Sorry, no idea about the wider tires as I never looked into it. I’ve only run that type of wheel as aero on road and it’s soooo nice.

Yeah I’m already getting a hankering for a road bike with more clearance. Thanks for the help.

You’re welcome! Ooooh there’s so many good ones to choose from nowadays. Even the new Venge has tire clearance for 31s or 32s :thinking:

Ok. This is insane. I went with the 3.4 ARs, and I just took another gander at the approved tires, AND THE LIST CHANGED COMPLETELY. What the heck?!?! See my post above with the previous list. Of course, I went with the Donnelly’s, which are no longer on the list. Here is the updated list:

28c for the best aerodynamic performance

Giant Gavia AC 0 Kevlar Tubeless – 28mm
Giant Gavia AC 1 TLC Tubeless – 28mm
Giant Race 1 TLC Tubeless – 28mm
Goodyear Eagle All-Season – 28mm
Hutchinson Sector – 28mm
IRC Formula Pro Tubeless RBCC – 28mm
IRC Formula Pro Tubeless Light – 28mm
Kenda Valkyrie – 28mm
Maxxis Padrone – 28mm
Schwalbe Pro One HS 462 – 28mm
Vittoria Rubino Pro TLC – 28mm