Fast Talk, ep. 68: The Big Picture

That’s the best advice. Some forget that.

Mike

2 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, some of the stuff on FT is great and I do find the science discussions interesting but I don’t think they’re as effective at taking that science and explaining how to put it into practice. I know things will differ from rider to rider but I think TR and TTS give better examples that can be applied individually to ultimately improve training.

Both FT and TR both state they aim to make you faster so I disagree that they are aimed at different crowds.

I guess one of my aims in starting the discussion was that I found terms such as ‘hard’ quite vague and wanted to see how others interpreted it. Although I acknowledge that I did a terrible job of articulating it.

That’s funny, I find them the opposite, where this is FTs target audience.

I do think TR is better for newbies though, agree there.

The FastTalk guys are basically the Jock Boyer of podcasts IMO. Rigid weirdos. Which unfortunately is too commonly representative of the average American cyclist.

I guess being that FT rarely if ever prescribe specific workouts and certainly won’t try to sell you a training plan tailored to your FTP makes them seem less rigid to me. I also can’t recall the last time there was a TR podcast guest on that questioned low volume, indoor, high intensity interval training.

1 Like

I guess at the end of the day it’s pretty awesome we get to discuss the difference between so many podcasts relating to training. It’s great that we get access to a range of experts with different opinions.

4 Likes

Agreed. Any cycling content is a win. I have a very, very long commute so I’m not picky with my podcasts.

3 Likes

This. It wasn’t very long ago there was no internet, power meters canned plans or the endless choices of tires and components in hopes of saving grams and grams of drag to save a second or two. What mistakes took me decades can now be made with a few key strokes, a credit card in one season.

My favorite are those who worry about their latest TR workout (in erg mode) being a few watts off. I truly believe there is too much information out there. But, I also understand it’s fun to be able to try and figure how to be more efficient, faster, etc…So far the TR community has been super helpful to a wide experience range of riders. And the lack of trolling is such a relief compared to every other forum.

Thanks to you all.

9 Likes

We have sergeant major @mcneese.chad to keep us in line :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

LOL, thanks… I think. :wink:

I do my best to keep it productive and positive. :smile: Thankfully it is super clean and easy most of the time.

6 Likes

Meant as a compliment. You do a great job as moderator helping set and keep the tone. Thank you. :+1:t3:

5 Likes

Good deal. Happy to help for sure.

2 Likes

100% agree here. I’m very new to the TR forum and have found it is great that topics can be debated without it spiralling into the gutter with personal attacks. At the end of the day we are all just Lycra clad nerds :smiley:

5 Likes

I think the fact everyone is here with specific goals in mind helps this immensely. Its not just random internet blather!

2 Likes

My favorite quote from Joe Friel’s book, “Fast After 50” is:

“Don’t force your body to become fit; gently persuade it.“

Agree with most of what others have said regarding the FT guys, but one thing I like about Conner is that he seems to be one of the few coaches out there who still believes in HR training. I’m old school and pay attention to HR and especially cardiac drift.

4 Likes

Yeah you do an amazing job! Interpreting what people are trying to convey/ask is not only time consuming but, occasionally frustrating (for me). Hell I don’t even know what I’m getting at half the time…ha. Your patience is appreciated. Thanks man!

1 Like

It’s funny to me…Before HR monitors RPE was it. HR monitors became standard and we all used those and followed what runners did. When power meters became a bit more prevalent many including myself ditched HR monitors. Today I use both and find a lot of value in each. For example, power is so much easier to use for intervals near FTP an higher but, HR can be used to tweak how hard you go to increase (or decrease) time in zones. Dr. Seiler talks about this endlessly.

The benefits of HR go well beyond this one example. I just wanted to say I think many are paying attention to both these days.

4 Likes

You are very welcome. :smile:

1 Like

This could open a whole new rabbit hole as to how we’ll be measuring performance in coming years. Like will our Garmin display include blood lactate, muscle fibre type being used etc. it would be like a cycling Black mirror episode. :grimacing:

1 Like

Yeah I think it could go this way for sure. One thing if new to all this is to keep in mind what is actionable and what is nice to know.

So true. The recent On Coaching podcast episode Steve Magness recorded on the subject should be compulsory listening :slight_smile: Loved his quote on there, along the lines of…
“if you’re not limiting intensity zones then you’re giving yourself way more options to solve the problem of getting faster”.

2 Likes