Favero Assioma Tension

I gave this a shot earlier in the week and it made a large difference as you’d expect. Still feels tight enough to ride … did some sprints, tried to pull out straight up… no motion between the cleat and pedal or any other issues. From a purely speculative perspective, the power reading on the ‘down’ & ‘kick’ quadrants shouldn’t change based on tension, but I do wonder if any significant looseness or play might impact readings during ‘up’ & ‘pull’ quadrants.

disclaimer - process not approved or endorsed by Favero or TR, may void warranty, don’t do this, etc

Start by removing or loosening the tension screw. Then, use two hex keys, one at each end to remove the shaft which goes through and holds the springs. Hex were both the same size, either 2 or 2.5mm, i can’t recall. Normal thread, lefty-loosey. It took a bit of effort relative to the hex size to get the shaft loose. The shaft holding the springs is a long metal piece with a small screw at the one end. Once you get the screw loose, you can push the shaft out just far enough to allow one spring to drop out of the pedal. Twisting the shaft as you pull will help it slide. Let the first spring drop out but leave the other in place. Now, push the shaft back through and reinstall the screw. Reinstall the tension screw and adjust as needed.

Thanks for the help. Emailed customer support and they offered to send me a pair of pedals with low tension springs. However it was going to cost me shipping an about $100 so I passed on their deal. I sprayed the pedals with some dry lube and then clipped in and out on the higher tension setting a bunch of times. I then set the release tension at the lowest setting and they seem to release now at about a normal force.

Thank You

Tom Hesemann

1 Like

Technically there is little reason for that to be the case. The only power “loss” that could happen would be through friction losses in movement of the cleat relative to the pedal; if the now-looser spring allows some movement, the spring return will return that force to the pedal, minus friction losses. While there is no way of estimating this, I don’t see how such small movements could absorb any significant power.

1 Like

I’ve had my pedals for about 4 months now and while they seemed tight initially, they’ve now got to a point where I don’t notice it any more. I don’t know if they’ve slackened with use, or I’ve just got used to it but it’s definitely worth persisting IMO. Most of my riding has been inside too, so not a whole lot of clipping in and out.

1 Like

I just received my pedals last monday. My pedals came from clever training. I don’t know if they have different spring, Ie the light springs.

But my springs are black. I have them right now on the lowest setting and clip in and out is easy. I might actually increase spring tension when i ride out side for the first time. I have only ridden them on my trainer set up. To dial in the look cleats. I haven’t set up look cleats in 20 years. I normally ride time. I wish time made a power pedal.

So far I like the pedals a lot. I use a garmin 820 and only get some of the pedal metrics. Anyone else have tips for more metrics with the Assiomas.

Those might be new. Ive only ever seen silver springs.

Regarding metrics, they can measure and display some like smoothness, left-right balance, etc. This should be recorded on your 820 and visible in garmin connect. You might also be able to see it as a data field. ( i use a bolt )

Favero has said they are working on a firmware update for more advanced metrics, but i dont think that it is out yet.

Correct. The Advanced Cycling Dynamics are not out yet, but are in beta according to Favero

2 Likes

Weird that I stumbled across this thread. I had only just figured out what might be causing a hip problem I’ve had for the last 6 months. This coincided with moving from SPD-SL pedals to Assiomas. Quite painful - I thought something was torn but physio didn’t seem to concerned…

I had loosened off the adjuster and figured out pushing the screw back in, but as mentioned tension still feels pretty high. Will have a go at some of the ideas above and maybe contact Favero support.

1 Like

It is visible in my Wahoo ELEMNT as well.

1 Like

Are you using the same “float” as before? Exact same position and rotation for cleats ? Cleats are one thing I need pretty much exact or I have problems.

For the first time in 15 years of using clipless pedals I had a tumble when i could not get out quickly enough from my assiomas when someone stopped unexpectedly a yard in front of me. I had been using the assiomas for a year or so. They’ve always been been tough to unclip from but i’d Been unclipping early. I’ve never had an issue with look keos or spds in similar circumstances. Do favero have a process for correcting this?

I’ve tried this solution: put a little grease on the contact points(the area for clipping in/out). The result for my experience is quite positive. It became much much easier especially on unclipping. Now it is loose enough and no longer to be necessary to put grease on. ^^

Thanks for the excellent tip!

1 Like

I received my duos a few days ago, also with the black spring. No issues whatsoever clipping in and out.

2 Likes

Favero do offer a pedal body with a lighter spring but it will cost you around €90 from memory.

I just ordered and received a pair recently that came with the black springs. It appears Favero has listened and swapped out the old spring for new ones with less tension. I’m not having any issues clipping in or out, either (they came setup with low tension). My 105 SPD-SLs had way more tension when brand new.

After loosening mine right off they don’t seem overly tight anymore.

I concluded it’s a clever way Assima mandates training for a quicker Tri T2 - I’ve been taking my SHOE(s) off as the only reasonable way to get my feet free!

But thanks for the advice on the lube - can’t wait to try it.

I have the old ones and the new ones and never experienced an issue. Perhaps it’s because I came from Speedplays?

:slight_smile:

Favero now sells replacement pedal bodies for those of us who were unlucky enough to get the old model with the pedal body with the silver spring. After suffering for over a year and falling a couple times (never happened on any other pedals), I finally decided I needed to fix this problem. But, paying $130 for replacement bodies from Favero seemed ridiculous. I purchased Xpedo Thrust 7s (in red :fire:) on eBay for $50 and transferred the pedal bodies from those. I followed instructions made by folks who are converting the Assiomas from road to mountain pedals. Took me about 45 minutes because I’m not great with tools. Power tracks perfectly with my Wahoo kickr and tension is perfect now. What a relief!

Instructions I followed:

4 Likes

That looks awesome, might go this route as well, thanks for sharing!