Favero Assioma Users

Splitting hairs here, but do you have to run a washer with the R8000 crank? That’s what I have. Also for Trainerroad Powermatch, do you use Bluetooth or ANT? I hear one can transmit L/R and one can only double L, but then I read somewhere that it can now combine L/R into the L and transmit that way through BT…confusing

One thing I wish they would do would be to make the travel mode easier to disable. Seems like its been a headache for some folks, and there are times when I’ll be driving 2-3 hours to my destinations. I wonder if the charge cord is long enough to reach from my front seats of the car through the back to wake the pedals up using the USB ports in my car

The cable is 2m long, from USB plug to magnetic tip. If that’s not long enough, you could always use a mobile USB battery pack.

As for the pairing, I’ve used ANT+ all the way for riding and never had any issues. Only time I connect with BLE is to check battery and firmware status.

1 Like

I don’t need a washer on my R8000 but do on my rotors - so I end up just using a washer on both for ease when swapping them over.

For trainer road I currently use Bluetooth if using my pixel 3 android phone or ant+ if using my windows PC. I don’t notice a difference in reported power. I’ve set my pedals to broadcast as one channel over bluetooth - I’ve never run into a situation where I’ve needed to split the channels. Signal channel bluetooth works fine for TR and Zwift - Ant+ has always worked too.

Charging cable is pretty long if you wanted to use travel mode like you say - or you could use a little portable charger? Not sure that I would bother though for the sake of a 2-3 hr journey - even if they were awake all the time its only the same as a decent length ride.

How much lower was your flaky pedal reading? I’m wondering if I have something similar (right low) or if I’m as unbalanced as the pedals are reporting… Did they have you do any diagnostics or simply replace it?

Can you share a link with this procedure?

1 Like

Sorry if I my explanation was a little unclear, but I didn’t have a flaky pedal.

The slight power mismatch I saw was between the L Assioma and the Stages L only. It was ~5w-10w. In fairness, some of the error could have been down to PM tolerance (±2% for the Stages and ±1% for the Assiomas).

As I mentioned, I main, significant power variation of Stages L vs Assioma L+R was my weaker left leg.

When I ran the Assiomas vs my Kickr, they were almost spot on, so L+R Assioma = Kickr. Happy days.

In the end I was totally happy with what the Assiomas were telling me, even if it did mean a big drop in my FTP value :sob::joy: I just wanted to retire the Stages, forget the past and move forward with rhe Assiomas.

Hope that helps to clarify.

1 Like

I have been happy with them. The cleats are a little harder than most to release, but hasn’t been a problem. Compared to my Neo they seem to read about 3 -4 watts higher.

…And I would say that’s exactly what you should see at the pedals…

Assume that this was for me?

I initially noticed something didn’t feel right because the overall power started to seem low for my perceived effort (obviously thought i’d just lost fitness at first!). When i checked my L/R balance data I saw that after a calibration my balance was around 51/49 but by the end of a ride it was 60/40. It would reset to 51/49 after a calibration before drifting again. Pedal smoothness and effectiveness were also around half of normal for the “bad” pedal.

Favero did run some diagnostics via the app but they just said that they agreed it was odd and sent a replacement. I suspect it might have been the temp compensation gone bad?

My new setup now read a pretty constant 52/48

2 Likes

I have to play around with my Wahoo ROAM and see how I can set up some of the screens to show me L/R specific power metrics, or those live cycling dymanics. Would be handy to have running on the ROAM while I use TR so I can check that stuff out in real-time.

I’m not too bothered about seeing L/R balance in real time but I wish TR recorded the data and sent it over to Garmin connect.

1 Like

Been using Duo’s for about 9 months. They are close enough (about 0.5%, biasing higher) to my Tacx Neo that I don’t worry about the difference. This is with both the original (silver spring) road pedal bodies, and with Xpedo M-Force 4 two-bolt MTB pedal bodies (for winter riding in the UK).
Didn’t need a washer on R8000, but added one on my winter bike which has Praxis Alba cranks.

1 Like

Just bought a pair this week. Had a 4iiii single sided power meter so looking forward to working with a dual sided PM. Heard great things about them from this forum and from @GPLama and @dcrainmaker so pulled the trigger.

I have Ultegra R6800 cranks and didn’t use the washer spacers.

2 Likes

Do you have the original silver spring version or the updated black spring version? They were suppose to increase the range of settings in the updated version to allow for an easier release from what I have read. I have a hard time with my left side (personal limitation, not the pedals fault) in my Ultegra pedals and would like to get a pair of the Assionma’s but can’t handle a much more difficult release.

1 Like

I have the original style of springs. It’s an easy job to remove one of the springs from each pedal to reduce the minimum tension to an acceptable level.

No experience with the newer version.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t bother about travel mode for driving. The Assioma’s have 60 hours charge, so 2-3 hours is pretty small, and I don’t even think that the movement of highway driving is enough to wake up my pedals . Unless you are flying from Europe to Kona with transfers, etc. travel mode is just one more thing to go wrong (ie. forgetting the cable).

1 Like

I have the original silver ones. But as I said, it`s my personal feeling. A friend has the same and he does not think they´re hard to release. maybe my legs are way to weak for those extraordinary pedals :smiley:

1 Like

Got my pedals as soon as I got done my workout so didn’t get to give them a thorough test but a few initial impressions

1. They look kinda weird until you clip in, then you can’t tell
  2. Cleats were easy to set up, but man are they slippery AF to walk in, I almost fell on my face in the kitchen, will need some practice at intersections to make sure I don’t fall over when I have to come to a stop
  3. Way more float that Shimano, can’t tell if good or bad but I can pivot my foot enough to rub the cranks which the Shimano yellows never allowed for. It almost feels like Shimano 6* float is 3* each way while XPEDO 6* float is really 6* each way. I could be wrong but I definitely felt this immediately when I clipped in and it took a few minutes to get used to. May apply some clear vinyl to the crank arms to preserve the finish if I do rub on them.
  4. Power readings seem good, my personal power balance seems to be 52/48ish at effort, but after ERG lets off I saw as far as 60/40 during light pedalling which leads me to the next point
  5. I did a few short efforts to compare, 1 minute showed the Stages at 336 and the Favero at 326, considering the ~2% left bias this seems appropriate. At lower power I saw 123 on the stages and 106 on the Favero, granted I wasn’t at 60/40 the entire time but between that and 55/45 so if we assume a 5% left bias that’s an equivalent of 123 vs 111

Aside from the cleats that are…different to put it nicely, and my ego which is taking a bit of a hit, I don’t regret the purchase. Having L/R data will help me work on the imbalance now that I can see how and where it’s severe.

Next workout is McAdie Saturday so I will power it with the Stages like before, and mirror that with the pedals on Zwift like I usually do with the Hammer. Then I can compare overall power and also crop sections of the ride to compare between the two as well.

Lastly as far as setting FTP, since my last minute on the ramp was 400w with the stages, couldn’t i just set up a 400w erg effort powered by the stages, then mirror it with the pedals, and take the pedal number and multiply by .75? So let’s say the stages says I did 400 but the pedals let’s say read 390, so I would just do 390x.75= 292, or should I do the whole test over?

1 Like

Played with them a bit more tonight. Clipping in is getting easier and clipping out is also nice, I ended up settling in the middle of adjustment range for both sides and it feels good to me (I have the black spring version). I don’t feel much of the float anymore after the initial few miles guess my legs just track well, but I’ll see how it is riding outside when the bike is moving.

The clip in and out action feels a bit better than Shimano actually. It’s a bit more snappy and crisp, Shimano is a bit softer and more refined. The bearing action on these is super floppy, there’s no wiggle but they spin forever which is cool but kind of annoying too. I assume this is for minimal drag for the power meter to be more accurate I dunno

Walking with the XPEDO is sketchy, though luckily I don’t walk around much. In my SL cleats I could really get around well on pavement, tile, wood floors of cafes, gravel parking lots. This is gonna take some getting used to though.

Now where can I get an Assioma fidget spinner for my desk at work

2 Likes