Feature Request - Option to see all instructional text after a workout

It’d be great to be able to view the full list of Coach Chad’s instructional pearls of wisdom after a workout. Maybe a button on the “Ride Summary” form that would open the full list of the workout instructions. I tend to miss quite a few of them in the midst of pain!

19 Likes

@oggie41 If you import a workout into Workout Creator, click on the workout block, and select “edit text” you can see Coach Chad’s on screen instructions and tips.

1 Like

Thanks @bobmac, yeah I’ve seen it in Workout Creator before. I think it’d be loads more convenient to see it in the app though. It’s a bit of a hassle firing up the Workout Creator (especially with the speed of my laptop at the moment :grimacing:).

1 Like

@oggie41 I think the challenge with your suggestion is that many/most of Coach Chad’s comments are specific to the exact workout location, and not general comments to be taken out of context. In order to fully implement your suggestion, I would think that they would need to develop sort of cliff notes of the workout with pictures of the section of the workout along with the instructions/tips to go along with it.

1 Like

@oggie41 btw: I think we all miss some of the suggestions amidst the pain . . . but sometimes I think that is a good thing :smile:

2 Likes

I’d be happy just seeing the list of instructions. Especially as I’d likely be viewing them pretty soon after a workout.

4 Likes

I would actually like the option to preview the workout text as it pertains to the workout intervals. I too miss a portion of them at least during the workout so if I could look ahead of time and know that “okay, the first two intervals are speed drills, the next two are quadrant drills and the last two are standing for x amount of time” I could then scratch that info onto a sticky note of just remember how long I am aiming to hold a standing effort etc.

6 Likes

I would also suggest if possible the ability to choose which screen to have the text appear on… when I’m running two screens its all too easy to miss the text.

I for one would really benefit from being able to read the in-ride instructions before a workout and again after a workout to reinforce what Coach Chad is telling me. I don’t ride with my head down, staring at my phone so I know I miss some things.

I was a bit frustrated yesterday when I was riding Tunnabora which is 5 x 7-minute sweet-spot intervals with cadence ladders. Halfway through interval 4, the instructions say “remember, cadence is more important than power”. My response, out loud was “now you F’in tell me”!! Would be good to know this heading into the ride.

Thanks for a great product.

5 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion! I agree that it would be really helpful to be able to preview the workout text before jumping into the ride.

I’ve shared this with our Product Managers and tagged this thread with the #feature-request tag :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Maybe you could merge this with the similar requests:

1 Like

I have the same request. Just found this on the forum and was wondering if there’s any status update from the team. Particularly any sort of estimate of when something might be ready. Thanks so much for considering this as a feature upgrade

So glad others also want this as a feature. I really sometimes just want to swipe to get the in-ride text back especially when I’ve missed half of it. But I don’t actually care how it’s implemented, I would just like to have easy access to the instructional text somewhere.

3 Likes

I too would like to be able to preview the text before I do the workout.

3 Likes

I’m a new user on TrainerRoad, so perhaps this perspective will be helpful…

1. During my workout, I’d like to be able to hit keys on my keyboard to scroll forward or backward through the previous lines of instructions, in case I looked away and didn’t realize I missed something. I can’t always figure out what I’m supposed to be doing from context of the current line if I miss one or two lines.

2. Or - show the previous two or three lines drifting away like the Star Wars opening credits, with the current line in bold on the bottom.

3. After the instructions stop for a while and then resume, I don’t notice until it’s too late. An audible alert might help if instructions are resuming after a minimum of, say, 3 minutes without instructions. That could be configurable.
    UPDATE: Ooops. After doing a few more workouts, I realized that there already is an audible alert if there have been no instructions for a minute or so, this this audible alert already exists. Nice.

2 Likes

Just adding to the list of people asking for something like this, especially while I am in a workout. I tend to watch other content while training, so miss what is coming up on screen at times. In terms of implementation, something like the captioning that you get on www.edX.org courses next to the video seems useful. That would be a scrolling wall of text on the right, with the currently relevant phrases highlighted and the text then scrolls down. That would allow you to see what was coming up and what had just left, to see if you’d missed any instructions and prepare you for upcoming work. Ideally the ability to toggle this on and off would be perfect, as I imagine there are a lot of people who wouldn’t care for it (which is exactly how the captioning works).

1 Like

I’d love that feature as well. Hopefully it’s on the roadmap.

Thank you! :call_me_hand:

1 Like

Just curious if there’s any update to this. As an add-on to this FR, it would be great to see a window box in the top right or left with all the instructional messages during the workout, or as suggested earlier beforehand. Like some mentioned earlier, we’re either distracted by watching something, zoned out, etc and miss what seems to be important coaching/instructions.

Thanks guys for a great product! For some of my outdoor group rides, I’m starting to notice the work I’ve put in with the great workouts and plans.

1 Like

Great minds… :stuck_out_tongue:

An alternative that I suggested is a “text” flow that would look more like a chat screen. Current text would feed at the bottom, with prior text moving up with each new instruction. I suggested this as it would be far easier to implement via TR App changes since it would simply reuse the existing text already available.

3 Likes

I did a workout today and missed a key instruction, so wondering if there had been any progress on any of these ideas? Being able to go back through the history of the instructional text would be so helpful if you do miss one. Cannot see any update on this recently. But as the new mobile app is being developed feels like a good opportunity to include such a feature.