Feature Request - With all this data, why isnt the app smarter?

Smart training apps are coming. Xert is the most obvious example that is taking steps in that direction. I think Today’s Plan may also have some tools headed in that direction.

Hints from Nate about their data, review, and what to do with it almost suggest they might be headed in that direction as well. I hope so and think it is an area that any future-minded training app must consider.

The ideal is something that I see as quite difficult. We are effectively aiming to replace the review and consideration of a coach with automated data review at a minimum. But we all know that the data is only part of the story. RPE, overall fatigue, life stress, and so many other factors also play into the complex equation.

A real life coach can take part in all aspects of that to form a full picture, and then make informed choices and set direction for the athlete. Boiling even part of this into a “Smart Training App” is something that is far from easy.

Based on comments I have seen, even though Xert has some of this, it falls short in ways when our “use case” doesn’t match their planned usage. It makes assumptions that you are doing workouts in particular ways and if now, the data and suggestions will stray from what should really happen.

All this is to say, I love the idea, but as usual… the devil is in the details. Having automated output is totally reliant on the data (garbage in, garbage out) and the calculations within it.

Sadly, I think the need for a person to learn and apply related training knowledge (or enlist another person to do it) will be a long range need for years to come.

2 Likes