Finally concluded that I need help turning my life around

Two books that really helped me were:

The Engine2 Diet by Rip Esselstyn

How Not to Die by Michael Greger, MD

A great all round weight loss plan and resource is Renaissance Periodization. (Google it). They have a lot of very smart people working there.

When I focused on health over weight, that’s when the weight fell off.

1 Like

Yet another reason that the TR Forum is as awesome as it is… all of you fantastic members. :smiley:

• Great info and support everyone. :+1:
1 Like

Welcome! Good on yeah! Thank you for opening up and posting!!! Your story is a big help to people like me. I have a lot of trouble staying motivated. I forget at times why I actually ride and it becomes something that I do and forget at times how much I love it.

Height 173 cm was 120 KG and am now 91 KG with another 16 KG to go.

At this point my advice to you is to move! I don’t care how you move, why you move, where you move. Just move, walk dont drive, ride dont walk, race don’t ride, take the stairs not an elevator. Everything you do counts.

Depending how you eat I would look at a food tracking app. They do make a huge difference. At times I really have no idea how much food I am eating. Sometimes I will do a lot of riding and burn 2600 calories that day and then eat 4000. That’s still below my activity and BMR but ya really have to think why the hell did I ride for 4-6 hours to break even.

Remember like everything else there will be good and bad days here. But the more you work and the healthier you feel the good will definitely outnumber the bad.

DO NOT WAIT TO START TRAINING!!! The Time is now. Get your body pumping and the food will follow and even if it doesn’t right away, you will be burning more and improving your fitness. I would start with riding either outdoor or indoor to start. Its one of the easiest things on your body especially for us Larger people. Also walk, and work up to walking faster. When your ready find others to ride with, Join a club, whatever. Just Move.

As for food. skip breakfast as your body doesnt need it. Skip the 10:00 Snack. Have a bigger lunch with no bread and have veggies cheese meat or nuts. Drink lots of water! I find it easier to eat the same thing over and over.

Thanks for showing up!!!

Sounds like your head is in the right place to make it happen - you can do this :muscle:

If you are looking for motivation to ride, can you join a local club or group to go out with? Or sign up for a small event in a few months time to give you something to aim for?

In terms of the diet side I have to say preparation is the key. Always have your healthy meals / snacks ready to go so you aren’t tempted to grab something bad, but plan in the ‘bad’ stuff too. Allow yourself a few treats here and then and you’ll be less likely to crave and binge.

Hope I’m not repeating too much of what’s been said already! :smile:

1 Like

Some great advice above and I don’t have much more to add apart from some of my own tips and tricks:

1. I skip breakfast and workout in the morning semi-fasted, have a protein shake when finished and some breakfast when I get to work about 9am. I’m definitely not on a reduced carbohydrate diet, but get up at 4:45am and don;t feel like eating before training. Usually just have a coffee.
  2. I fill up on sparkling water during the day. Pasta or carbs for lunch.
  3. Typical evening meal will be something like reheated jacket potato and chilli con carne (home made in bulk - gives me more time to train, lots of fresh veg and spices in there). If you heat and cool certain starches they become more resistant to digestion and pass through your small intestine with less uptake. The chilli I make with black beans and white kidney beans. The white beans contain alpha amylase inhibitors which also reduce carbohydrate uptake a bit (a few percent). The spices from the chilli also boost the metabolism (thermogenics) which assist in weight loss.

Like mentioned above, preparation is key for me, having meals that I look forward to eating ready to go so I’m not tempted to open the Uber Eats app. Not starving myself. Everything in moderation. I’m 67kg and 175cm for reference.

My advice would be to sign up for a free MyFitnessPal.com account, tell it your weight and how much you want to lose, and then try to stick to whatever calorie recommendation it gives. Losing weight really comes down to burning more calories than you consume. Then start on mild activity like walking or fun bicycling. If you can stay on a MyFitnessPal calorie regimen, and manage to walk say 10,000 steps per day, you’ll soon notice the difference.

Good luck!

1 Like

I have done the journey from 99,9 kg to 72 kg. Right now I am 77-78 kg and doing mostly bike-riding as exercise. If I am to lose weight I have to do weight training. I can not seem to lose any substantial weight just biking. I simply get to hungry.

My primary advice int the beginning is to do bike riding for fun, but make sure you do 2-3 times a week of weight training. Do the “big” exercises that do the big muscles, deadlifts, squats, rowing, bench etc. Make sure to get help for the right technique/form as to not get injured. Also do this in a kind of progressive way with loading and de-loading. Remember do to easy periods.

The most important thing though, training and exercise does not allow you to eat more food. With regards to weight loss there is a saying that food=kgs and exercise=grams. They both need to balance.

1 Like

I disagree with those of you suggesting that breakfast is unnecessary. I know it is a common dieting trick to wait a few hours before eating but if you’re training or exercising consistently (even at low or moderate levels) you should really try to keep some food going through you throughout the day

3 Likes

There’s not much I can add to what has already been said above but I do have a few little tips.

1. Find lower calorie alternatives to ingredients / products you like
    When I started out on my weight loss journey I had a look at all the things I’d eat and enjoyed (ie. what I didn’t want to give up) and tried to find some alternative that tasted as good but contained less calories. For instance I love yoghurt and would have 2 little pots (300ml) a day. Only when I looked at the label did I realise that they contained 150 calories each! I found an alternative that is 50 calories each. 200 calories saved without giving anything up really.
    Most dairy products can be replaced by oat or soy alternatives which are considerably lower in calories.
  2. Eat regularly
    I found it easier to control the urge to binge by eating small amounts regularly during the day. This meant reducing the serving sizes of my main meals and adding a few snacks. Again go for low calorie but satiating snacks.
  3. As has been said before, move. I started commuting to work by bike and this really helped for me.

Good luck, stick with it and you’ll get there

1 Like

I don’t have any advice for you - just wanted to voice my support. There is a whole community here and we are all in the continuous process of remaking ourselves.

Go get it - and give us an update every few weeks on this thread.

1 Like

best of luck, the first step is making the decision to do something, so kudos!

I weighed 225lbs (102kg) in 2013 and had gone up and down over a number of years earlier when I did take exercise more seriously (I had gone from 225lbs down to 165 once previously before getting running injuries and gaining weight). We had just moved to a place that was right by a bike path, and I made the decision to start riding my old mountain bike on the path, since I was a bit intimidated by the roads.

I ended up hating the mtb but I stuck with it for a bit and in Oct 2013 got a hybrid that was faster for me than the mtb. During that fall and winter I rode both outside and indoors on a cheap trainer and between watching what I ate (I didn’t follow any particular “diet” just ate what I normally did except for less of it) and gradually increasing the amount of time on the bike I lost 70lbs (31kg), and have mostly kept it off. Within a year of starting with the MTB, I had done a road race and a 100mile ride.

I know it’s said weight loss comes from eating and not exercising, and that’s certainly true, but for me I’ve had to do both diligently, so I always advocate for people to take exercising as seriously as diet. Maybe it comes from being an athletic person growing up, but I find I get more zoned in when I’m thinking and acting like an athlete rather than someone who is just doing some physical activity. But as a first step on exercise, I’d forget the intensity and try as much as you can to increase the amount of time you spend riding.

Again, good luck to you (and to any others looking to make a change!)

1 Like

@paulpratt Looks like they have a Vegan plan! Yay!

Definietly some merit in Point #1 - But also remember that not all calories are created equal and it might be better to consume more quality calories than less from a similar product that has been highly processed to remove natural nutrients so the marketing department can claim its ‘fat free’ or ‘sugar free’ etc to sell more units. As long as there is a lean towards more natural, less refined, less processed foods it’s a good rule of thumb.

To go along with what others have said… avoid anything with sugar listed as the first or second ingredient. Avoid breakfast cereals those are calorie bombs! Oatmeal is great for breakfast on riding days, but I would only use plain quick oats, nothing in packets or prepackaged. You can sweeten those up with fresh fruit or a touch of maple syrup. Try to avoid alcohol as much as possible, especially beer. Good work so far, keep it up! I was about 98kg in grade school at 180cm. I’m now at about 77-80kg depending on the month at age 36. Fitness takes years to build. You’ll likely see great fitness gains and bigger weight loss at first, then it will taper off for awhile. Most importantly have fun!